PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Summer Salads??

annasmom
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
There has got to be a past thread, but I wanted to know whether anyone had any favorites. It is just too darn hot to cook! Here is a recipe I made recently for a really yummy orzo salad. Btw, I substituted vegetable broth to make it vegetarian and it was really good. Here it is:

ingredients
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup olive oil

6 cups chicken broth
1 pound orzo (or riso)

2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
preparation
Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)

Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool.

Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature.
Bon Appétit, April 2006

ctmom
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Two of my favorites salads are a simple caprese one and a tuna and pasta one. For the tuna and pasta I usually make it the day after we had pasta for dinner and use the leftovers. I just use a small can of tuna, a little bit of mayo some fresh dill, s&p and toss it with the chilled pasta. I can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen to use in a caprese salad. My basil has been growing like crazy so I've been using store bought vine ripened tomatoes.

This Nutty Strawberry Salad is really good
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nutty-Strawberry-Salad/Detail.aspx

as well as this Strawberry Avacodo Salad
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Avocado-Salad/Detail.aspx

Thanks for the Orzo Salad recipe!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kedss
07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Our family does a bean and corn salad which if you want takes very little cooking:

bag of frozen snap peas
bag of frozen corn
tomatoes (chopped grape or roma)
Black beans (or whatever beans you like)

italian salad dressing (we like Paul Newman's)

rinse and cook the beans, add the frozen peas and corn, add tomatoes,
and toss with dressing. you can cook the peas and corn if you like, but the beans can cook them enough if you toss them in after the beans are cooked. :)

You can add other stuff to this, if you want, but its an easy and yummy salad by itself. :)

momma1111
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
My favorite Summer salad is

Cold Spinach
Cut Strawberries
Roasted red peppers
slivered almonds
Poppy seed dressing
Grilled chicken breast (chilled)

to make it an absolutely cook free salad get a rotissery chicken from the deli.

this is SO GOOD!!!

danagee
07-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Here's my new favorite from Everyday Italian show on the Food Network. Just grill the steak outside and it's good both hot and cold the next day.

Penne with Beef and Arugula

1 (1-pound) New York strip steak
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for steak and pasta water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for steak
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 cups chopped arugula

Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and minced garlic. In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook steak about 7 minutes per side. Remove the meat from pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak. Set aside.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh herbs, and 3/4 cup olive oil. In a large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing and the reserved pasta water. Add the arugula and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed. Toss, pack for the picnic, or serve.

Dana