PDA

View Full Version : picnic food help

HGraceMom
07-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm throwing a casual get together / picnic this weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday. It's just going to be a dozen or so people, so not very big at all.

I'm trying to decide what to serve - normally it'd be easy - steaks on the grill, corn on the cob, etc. However, one of our guests, had a stroke 2 years ago & has had only a partial recovery. I'd like to serve the same thing for everyone to keep the work down, but need a menu that's "easy" to eat.

Any suggestions? It could be cook-ahead, grill & serve, or chilled, but I'd like to try to keep the oven off throughout the party.

TIA!

clc053103
07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
how about kabobs as they would require less cutting for the guests?? They can be made ahead.

MamaMolly
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Ooh, I agree with the PP, Kebabs are yummy and easy, too. I'm big on salads at summer parties.
You could always do a nice chicken salad. That is easy to eat. I use rotisserie chicken, pull it off the bone, chop it with mayo, pecans or walnuts, sliced grapes, celery and a bit of onion.

I also have a pretty good cornbread salad recipe. I first made it to use up cornbread, but now DH asks for it! Crumble up cornbread in a bowl, and add chopped onion, green and red pepper, corn kernels (fresh, canned or frozen) and black beans (canned, rinsed). Stir in enough mayo to get it to stick together. YUM!

Of course, there is always the good old mac and cheese. I use the Joy of cooking recipe. I can look it up if you need it. I find that people are really impressed to get homemade mac and cheese, instead of the box stuff.

And top it off with brownies. Ohhh, I think I need to have a party!!!!!!!!
Have fun!
M

purpleeyes
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking grilled chicken (maybe with BBQ) sauce might work, and then just lots of salads-pasta, or macaroni or potato. Here is an awesome recipe that is SO easy and so good: Dill Potato Salad

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34632,00.html?rsrc=search

Are you thinking 'softer' things-baked beans, or grilled veggies maybe? I think mac-n-cheese suggested by the PP is a great idea, esp. if there are a lot of kids! My DS could eat that every day of the week. ;)

Just some quick ideas. HTH!

Beth

Tondi G
07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Salads come to mind

Potato salad
Coleslaw
Pasta salad (easy tri colored pasta, bell peppers, red onion, black olive and italian...DONE)
Ceasar salad
even Caprese.. tomato, mozzarella and basil
Fruit salad or skewers
Watermelon slices

Baked beans are a must at all our BBQ's. Mac N Cheese gets requested by my 6 year old all the time!

Good luck

ctmom
07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
here is a great recipe for "Pasta Caprese"
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/4024

this can either be made ahead and served room temp or served as soon as the pasta is finished boiling...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

elizabethkott
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
DH and I are big fans of the Soy Vay brand Teriyaki (sp?) marinade. We do it with salmon on the grill - we marinate the salmon for at least 4 hours prior, and then put each fillet in a tin foil packet with some extra marinade. We only take the fillets out of the packet to put on the grill for the "stripes", which DH is rather fond of. :)
The marinade is actually quite good on chicken as well. And swordfish... and shrimp! :) We're a little obsessed.
I like one of the PP's suggestion of kebobs of some sort - most supermarkets even sell them pre-kebobed which would make it totally less work for you!
FWIW, I think salmon fillets may be a good option for someone who has only had a partial stroke recovery, as it is soft and flaky, and therefore easier to go down.
Hope your party is a hit!

HGraceMom
07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks a million!

I'm marinating kababs as I type, have baked beans in the slow cooker, 2 salads chilling in the fridge, various snack trays, and strawberries, ice cream & pound cake for dessert.