PDA

View Full Version : Ground Turkey Recipes wanted- what is your fav?

Jen841
07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I have overdosed on turkey burgers yet again. I bought 3 lbs that are in the freezer I would like to use. Any good turkey meatloaf or other recipes a picky almost 2 year old would eat?

Thanks!

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I make this turkey meatloaf recipe all the time. It's the Barefoot Contessa and I often dream that one day Ina will adopt me and I'll get to eat her food all day long.

***Turkey Meatloaf***

3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large onions)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.

This is Rachel Ray's recipe. Hate her, love this. It calls for ground chicken but you can use turkey too. I'll usually make this on a sunday morning with pancakes or eggs.

***Chicken (or turkey) Sausage***

tablespoon butter
1 green apple, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken breast or ground turkey
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, half a palm full
1 teaspoon allspice, 1/3 palm full
1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Add apples and onions and season with a little salt, pepper and fennel seeds. Gently saute the mixture 5 minutes to soften and remove from heat to cool.

Heat a griddle pan or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Place chicken/turkey in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, poultry seasoning, allspice, paprika and a healthy drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Add in the apples, onions and fennel and mix the sausage. Score meat into 4 sections and form 3 small, thin patties from each section, 2 1/2 inches across, 12 small patties total. Cook patties 3 to 4 minutes on each side and serve warm.

My big kid eats his weight in this stuff. It's good. Hope this helps. :)

boolady
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
> It's the Barefoot Contessa and I often dream that one day Ina will
adopt me and I'll get to eat her food all day long.

Sorry, as soon as she and Jeffrey add that extra bedroom, it's MINE :)

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Sister, have you seen that spread they've got out there in the Hamptons? I think there's probably room enough for the both of us,lol. :) :)

boolady
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I think you're right. Hopefully, there's room for both of us at the flat in Paris, too!

Jen841
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Good luck with the adoption : )

These look great. Thanks so much. If I was not so tired, and all was in the pantry I would make this now.

fyi I make meatloaf in muffin tins. My version of portion control, and the kids love it!

ekbecker1
07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
My son is super picky and he liked this one. . . I called it Broken Taco Salad.

One package of ground turkey (the size they sell at Costco - it's probably 1 pound)
One jar of good salsa or one container of fresh salsa (I used Trader Joe's double-roasted salsa)
one can of black beans, drained and rinsed
Tbsp cumin
Tbsp chili powder

Brown the ground turkey. Drain the fat. Add the cumin and chil powder and stir to combine. Add the salsa and beans and stir. Let simmer for a little while.

Serve this with whatever taco fixings your family likes: chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeno slices, guacamole, chopped onion, etc. We make our own bowls with meat on the bottom and other fixings piled on top. Then we use a fork and thick tortilla chips to scoop it all up.

kcampbell
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a great turkey meatloaf recipe but can't seem to find its exact form but basically

2lb ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup hot milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
some ketchup, worshesier (whatever the spelling is), dijon mustard

Mix it all well and put in loaf pan bake at 350 for one hour.

I usually do it in smaller loaf pans or muffin tins and cook it for much less time like 30minutes. Freezes extremely well. My kids (3 and 16 months love it! )