PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your recipes?

val01
07-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a convenient and organized method for storing recipes. Does anyone use software? Do you have any recommnedations?

I am thinking that an index card system may work better so I don't have to print off the pages saved to my computer to take to the kitchen.

Ideas here? Thanks!

Valerie
DD -1/30/07

gatorsmom
07-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I use three ring binders. I don't use software because I have so many recipes that have been ripped out of magazines or given to me by friends and I don't want to have to type them into a computer.

So, I use three ring binders and sheet protectors. That works great since I'm a messy cook and the sheet protectors protect the recipe from drips and splatters.

It's not sexy but it works well for me. And it's easy to keep up.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

gatorsmom
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I use three ring binders. I don't use software because I have so many recipes that have been ripped out of magazines or given to me by friends and I don't want to have to type them into a computer.

So, I use three ring binders and sheet protectors. That works great since I'm a messy cook and the sheet protectors protect the recipe from drips and splatters.

It's not sexy but it works well for me. And it's easy to keep up.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

DebbieJ
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
>I use three ring binders. I don't use software because I
>have so many recipes that have been ripped out of magazines or
>given to me by friends and I don't want to have to type them
>into a computer.
>
>So, I use three ring binders and sheet protectors. That works
>great since I'm a messy cook and the sheet protectors protect
>the recipe from drips and splatters.
>
>It's not sexy but it works well for me. And it's easy to keep
>up.

That's what I do, too. It's easy to add to and expand. Mine are organized by category. I love it!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Jo..
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I also use three ring binders and sheet protectors. That way you can rip them out of magazines or print them off the net, slide them in, and you're done. The sheet protectors are great because I'm a slob and they wipe right off.

boolady
07-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Me too.

Mamma2004
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
OK, now I have to ask: where can I buy sheet protectors in bulk or at a good price???

:-)

Stephanie

gatorsmom
07-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Not sure where the cheapest place to buy them is, but I know they sell them in packs of 100 at Office Depot and Office Max. You can also find them at Target and Walmart.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

SnuggleBuggles
07-25-2007, 07:10 PM
That's my system too. It's nice to be able to pull out a protected recipe and put the binder aside while I am cooking.

I also have mine organized by category.

Oh, and a bit OT I always write my comments, changes I would make, feedback, etc on each recipe with the date I made the thing. Very helpful! I do it in cookbooks and in my binder.

Beth

Jen841
07-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Ditto on all of the above. I recycled old work training binders I found in the basement. I also have an "Idea" binder for various decorating, craft project, kid activities,... i have torn out/collected over time.

My protectors I bought at Costco. I feel they are like bunnies b/c I have full binders, and still have some in the box. The box never seems empty.

ekbecker1
07-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Works great because you can make your own categories. I've got categories that you wouldn't find in normal cookbooks. For example, easy and fast, make ahead and freeze, new recipes to try, dairy and egg-free recipes. . .

m448
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I use both software and a binder. At first my recipes (I've got at least close to 500) were kept in the notepad section of my PDA.

Then I decided to upgrade for a shopping module and bought Mastercook 9. It's about $20 at Best Buy and the purchased in store version has a web import tool for your tool bar.

I've been transferring all my recipes to mastercook but I also have a large 3 ring binder with printouts of all the recipes to keep in the kitchen. That way hubby and I have them on hand. I love having our personal recipes stores in electronic format. I can edit, make changes, morph more than one recipe together and still have a clean copy. Also, mastercook let's me come up with my own categories, add cuisine descriptors and ratings based on our tastes.

Once I pick the recipes for the week, I dump them into the shopping list and then take out what I already have in the pantry. It's great because we like a lot of variety and I've accumulated many recipes over the years. The electronic version lets me search for recipes I may have forgotten I have and it also has a feature for adding pics of the recipes as well as the source and notes (plus nutritional info that is automatically calculated).