PDA

View Full Version : Potty training hygiene

citymama
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Warning: TMI question!

We're just embarking on potty-training our 21 month old. We have a Baby Bjorn potty and I'm wondering what one does in terms of keeping it clean, especially outside home. So far she's just peed in it, and that too at home - we just emptied the baby potty into ours and cleaned it with hot water and soap. What about poop - how to keep the potty clean without using toxic chemicals? I know some moms use Clorox wipes but I' m concerned about that being too harsh so near little tushies. Or is it OK? Also, do you then clean your toddler on the baby pot with TP or changing table with wipes? Again, apologies for the graphic nature of the questions and thanks for any info! :-)

JBaxter
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I use something called Merlins Magic ( still do around the toilet because I have aim challenged boys)

in a 16oz ( or larger) spray bottle
fill almost full with water
add 3 tbls of liquid soap ( I use dr bonners peppermint)
20-30 drops of tea tree oil

shake gently

spray and wipe.

I love the book Clean House Clean Planet by Karen Logan it has wonderful non toxic recipes for cleaning.

ThreeofUs
01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I use Lysol wipes, because I am paranoid about bacteria spreading around my house, but after 10 minutes or so I rinse with really hot water, similar to a lab technique where you sterilize, wait, and then get rid of the residue.

ETA: I also use the diaper-in-the-potty, like Marisa, when I am out of the house. It's a life-saver and I'm really glad she mentioned it.

lizajane
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
if you aren't comfortable with lysol/clorox wipes but aren't necessarily trying to go natural, how about clorox anywhere spray? "safe" for food prep areas, so should be safe for tushies. you could dump, rinse, spray.

if you prefer all natural, how about dump, rinse and spray with vinegar- a natural antibacterial.

i always just sprayed with lysol. but my kids aren't sensitive to anything and i was less informed on natural alternatives at the time schuyler was using the little potty. dylan went straight to the big potty because that is what brother did, so it wasn't an issue.

hellokitty
01-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I use something called Merlins Magic ( still do around the toilet because I have aim challenged boys)

in a 16oz ( or larger) spray bottle
fill almost full with water
add 3 tbls of liquid soap ( I use dr bonners peppermint)
20-30 drops of tea tree oil

shake gently

spray and wipe.

I love the book Clean House Clean Planet by Karen Logan it has wonderful non toxic recipes for cleaning.

I LOVE merlin's magic! I have one under the cupboard in every bathroom. :) Clean House, Clean Planet is a really good read for those of you thinking about making your own cleaners at home.

o_mom
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
For poop here's what we do. Dump what we can in toilet, wipe the potty with TP and discard in toilet, fill with water from the sink, swirl and dump in toilet, flush. Then I usually use a Clorox wipe on the potty and toss that in the trash. I use flushable wipes on their bottom in the bathroom. Never had a problem with the Clorox wipes. Whenever I clean the bathroom, I set the potty in the tub or shower and spray it with the bathroom cleaner, let it set while I clean the rest of the bathroom and then rinse with super hot water.

Outside the house, I empty pee in the nearest grass strip, usually a parking lot median where nobody is walking anyway. Then wipe with a Clorox wipe. Poop is more complicated, but we have only ever had a handful of poops in the car potty as once DS1 got it, poop seemed to be easier to hold for the nearest bathroom. The few time we did, I dumped it in a plastic grocery bag, used a baby wipe to get any residue, then followed with the Clorox wipes.

Marisa6826
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
For out of the house adventures:
If you have any disposable dipes that are too small (or have extras) just open them up and put them in the bottom of the potty to use as a liner. If it's just pee, you roll it up and you have a clean potty. If it's poo, well, hope for the best that the dipe catches things. :) Regardless, I carry those little Handibags for specifically poopy dipe situations.

I used the Clorox wipes and never had the problems with it. I mean, the area where you're using the wipes isn't going to be near their bottom. You're cleaning the 'vessel' portion with the wipes, not the seat section. If it really bothers you, you could always follow up with a regular wipe afterward. Come to think of it, they do now have travel sized containers of the Clorox Anywhere spray. LOVE that stuff.

At home:
Dump whatever has been left in the potty. Use a flushable wipe to get any sort of, uh, residue. Then spray down the interior with Clorox Anywhere spray. Once a week, I'd give the potty a once over with my regular bathroom cleaning stuff.

HTH

-m

citymama
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the fabulous advice! I love the idea of using a disposable dipe to catch the poop when on the road - would never have thought of it. Really, everyone's suggestions are useful (including the cleaner formula) and I appreciate your putting the time into helping me out!