PDA

View Full Version : 3rd seat - Radian the best choice?

KrisM
01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a Malibu Maxx. Currently both kids are in BVs with DS FF in the center and DD RF behind the passenger. Both are LATCH installed now.

We also have a Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat (2004). I have tried and failed to fit that and the 2 BVs into the car with tight installs.

So, I want to figure out if something will work or if we need a bigger car :). I know the Radian is narrow. Do you think it would fit between a BT LL and a BV or 2 BVs in a Malibu? Is there another seat I should also look at?

Is the Radian easy enough to install with the seatbelt? It would be in the center for DS and would need to be a belt install.

We could do more than 1 Radian if that's what makes them all fit. $600 of seats is cheaper than a new vehicle!

DS - will be 4 in April and is now 37lbs and 43 inches
DD - is 19 months and is 24 lbs and 32 inches.
baby due in July.

Thanks!

MommytoEliana
01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
We have a Radian for DD. It is FF in the middle of our Dodge Stratus, with a RF Roundabout beside it. It also worked with the Latch-Loc beside it. It is narrow, which is good, but it is a tight squeeze for a passenger to sit in the remaining seat. I don't think we'd be able to get another carseat in beside it. Not sure how the Malibu compares to the Stratus, but I'd think they'd be comparable.

Oh, and I know the Radian says it can be used for newborns on up, but I can't imagine how it would be very comfortable for them. It feels pretty bare-bones compared to the Latch-Loc or the Roundabout.

Good luck with your decisions!

Cheri

KrisM
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
We have a Radian for DD. It is FF in the middle of our Dodge Stratus, with a RF Roundabout beside it. It also worked with the Latch-Loc beside it. It is narrow, which is good, but it is a tight squeeze for a passenger to sit in the remaining seat. I don't think we'd be able to get another carseat in beside it. Not sure how the Malibu compares to the Stratus, but I'd think they'd be comparable.

Oh, and I know the Radian says it can be used for newborns on up, but I can't imagine how it would be very comfortable for them. It feels pretty bare-bones compared to the Latch-Loc or the Roundabout.

Good luck with your decisions!

Cheri

It seems like if it's in the middle and a seat fits on one side it would also fit on the other side. Why do you think another wouldn't fit?

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll order one and try it out!

Joolsplus2
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I bet it would work...if you can get two BV's side by side, the RN should be just as easy or easier... I wonder if you can find one locally to try out? If not, Target has a return to store for free policy in case it doesn't work...
Radian 80 would be plenty cushy for a newborn...but it's SO space consumptive at newborn recline... I couldn't put it RF behind the driver of my small SUV...no problem doing that with a Marathon, though. (So I'm thinking middle FF would be the best place for it...)

:)

KrisM
01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I bet it would work...if you can get two BV's side by side, the RN should be just as easy or easier... I wonder if you can find one locally to try out? If not, Target has a return to store for free policy in case it doesn't work...
Radian 80 would be plenty cushy for a newborn...but it's SO space consumptive at newborn recline... I couldn't put it RF behind the driver of my small SUV...no problem doing that with a Marathon, though. (So I'm thinking middle FF would be the best place for it...)

:)

Well, the "center" is really biased towards the drivers side. I can not get 2 BVs next to each other with the center one installed with the seat belt, which puts it actually in the center. I tried with the BV FF and RF with no luck. I tried the BVs outboard and the LL in the center with no luck (which is good because I wasn't really sure how I'd get the carrier in there!).

Is the Radian 80 cushier than the 65? I was going to order the 65 from Target.

I'll give it a try and hope it works in the center! If it doesn't, I'll be back for more choices.

Joolsplus2
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
And ps, congratulations!!!!

Hmmm...yeah, I hear ya about positions being more on the side being a challenge....
The 80 cover is quite a bit cushier, but honestly I think the 65 is fine.. my kids have never complained about the cover or padding (the chest clip is way too narrow as they get older, so I use their original crash tested chestclip, which is basically a Britax clip ;) )
Another minor shortfall of the Radian is that the harness can't be removed or replaced... so far we haven't had any problems with ours, but I did like the *option* of a replaceable harness on the Marathon (not that I ever bought one, lol)

KrisM
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Thank you :). We're pretty happy, assuming it doesn't cause us to buy a new car!

I'll give the 65 a try and if DS doesn't seem to like it, then I'll worry about it. I've never replaced any harnesses either, so that's probably fine. My biggest worry is that it's not comfy enough for sleeping. We do 15+ hour trips 1 or 2 times each year, so sleep is a definite then. Plus, we're close to no one, so we often are in the car for 1-2 hours at a time and he still falls asleep fairly often then.

Thanks again for the help!

Joolsplus2
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
You know...my dd loved the Radian for resting her head...it has a small recline mechanism and the wings are deep enough..it's no BV, to be sure!...but compared to the Regent, she adored it :) (there's this 'comfy soft' pad they sell that can go with the 65 for head support...if you need something that might do the trick). The padding under the cover is adequate, no worse than a Britax, anyway :)