PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stop using so much plastic and have a question...

gatorsmom
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
For those of you who have non-plastic sippy cups or water bottles for your kids, which kind do you have and/or recommend? I've seen some moms recommend the Kleen Kanteen or the Sigg bottle- are these plastic?

I ask this because my older boys love their sippy cups which are made with #5 plastic. However, every time I take a sip from their cups, I taste the plastic. I worry that there is something in that plastic that will one day be proven to be a health hazard.

Any other recommendations?

Tondi G
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I still use plastic sippy cups but am thinking about trying out something else!

Kleen Kanteen is Stainless Steel and Sigg are Aluminum with a lining

this is what the website says..

Tests show that this is the only bottle with an inner coating resistant to fruit acids and isotonic drinks. The bottle is sprayed with a taste inert, food compatible stove enamel which is baked on.

HTH's you!

brittone2
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
nak-
KK is stainless, not plastic. We've been happy w/ ours. I know #5 is supposedly safe, but I prefer to skip it when possible. It wasn't long ago that everyone thought #7/polycarbonate didn't leech because it doesn't affect the taste of water, kwim?

I know a lot of people like Sigg, but again, I prefer to skip their lining. Their old lining did show that aluminum leeched when combined w/ acidity (juice) or leaving the bottle in the car and letting it heat up over time. I think the new lining is supposedly improved, but I prefer to just stick w/ stainless. In home, my kids drink mostly from glass (DD just turned 1 and we use a shot glass, which is how we taught DS, now 4). DS uses jelly jars, which seem to survive the occasional bounce on the floor. Obviously, that's not everyone's comfort level, but it works for us.

bubbaray
01-09-2008, 02:44 PM
We have KKs and Thermos Foogo for both girls (and I have KKs and Sigg for myself). I have to say, I much prefer the Thermos sippies over the KKs and both girls do too. In fact, DD#1 asked me to get more of the Thermos straw sippies yesterday.

thomma
01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
another vote for thermos foogos

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

cchavez
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
My kids love their thermos cups too!

BTW, is melamime (?) ok to use?