PDA

View Full Version : Spin off from skinny thread...my skinny story

LarsMal
01-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I was coming here to post something along the lines of Stacy's thread, so instead of hijacking hers, I'll start my own.

I have been having a lot of health issues since DD was a few months old. I am currently being treated (though not confirmed) for something called chronic urticaria (hives). Here's what I'm taking (Yes, in one day):

60mg Prednisone
1 Claritin in AM
1 Zantac 150 AM
1 Atarax (anti-anxiety, but it's an antihistamine, too) PM
1 Claritin PM
I also take a multi-vitamin and probiotic supplements.

I have been losing weight like crazy. I HATE it. I think part of it has to do with the stress of figuring out what's going on with my body, along with trying to eat a "cleaner" diet to see if I can flush out toxins or whatever might be causing the issues.

I EAT!!! I don't eat a whole lot, but I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I will feel like I've eaten a lot and then I get on the scale and I've lost even more. Today I hit a low (literally and figuratively) when I got on the scale and am down to 115.5 pounds (I'm almost 5'8"). I tried to drink Ensure, but I think it caused a flare up from all of the additives and flavorings. I just don't know what else to do.

I'm trying not to get too depressed b/c I know I AM eating. I am eating tons of fruits, veggies, and protein. I even bought whole milk to try to get more fat. My neighbor came up to me yesterday and said, "I know you want to gain 10 pounds back, but I'd like to at least catch some of what you have." WTF!?!?! That is not what I want to hear. And I keep hearing, "Oh, you look so skinny." Honestly, it is as bad as hearing, "You look so fat" when it's not something you're comfortable with.

I've had my thyroid checked and bloodwork done for Lupus, both were normal. It's a mystery and I continue to work with my doctors, but I am really starting to get worried. I seriously need to gain some weight and I don't know what to do b/c at the same time I want to avoid too many foods that might trigger my symptoms.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! This is so unfair. Until 8 months ago I was so incredibly healthy it was ridiculous! I just want to feel normal again and take care of my babies without this constantly on my mind.

Sigh....

Lilysmom06
01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I am sorry to hear about your struggle with health problems after the birth of your DD. I have also had health problems since DD was born 19 months ago. It is so difficult caring for her, I can't imagine what it is like with 2. Like you, I have been to many doctors, who try to help, but so far I am still searching for answers. I, however, am gaining weight, because I am eating to self-soothe, and I am not able to exercise due to my back/hip issues.

I wish you the best of luck. I know how hard it is to deal with when all you want to do is play with your kids.

Kathy

ThreeofUs
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh, wow, it sounds like you're having a hard time! All those medications sound like a soup that might make you more anxious, even if you didn't have the worries.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but will just throw it out for discussion. Allergies were driving me crazy when I lived in SoCal. Not one of my doctors (and I had a TON of MDs following my every move, it seemed) suggested that my environment might be killing me. Turns out I was really affected by mold, and we lived right on the beach. Could environmental allergies (or even food allergies) be a culprit here? Again, I apologize for bringing up something you've probably already ruled out....

If you can't do anything else, how about some meditation? Helped me (at least mentally) when I was going through health things I couldn't seem to control....

Best of luck to you!

LarsMal
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh, wow, it sounds like you're having a hard time! All those medications sound like a soup that might make you more anxious, even if you didn't have the worries.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but will just throw it out for discussion. Allergies were driving me crazy when I lived in SoCal. Not one of my doctors (and I had a TON of MDs following my every move, it seemed) suggested that my environment might be killing me. Turns out I was really affected by mold, and we lived right on the beach. Could environmental allergies (or even food allergies) be a culprit here? Again, I apologize for bringing up something you've probably already ruled out....

Best of luck to you!

You're right, the meds (especially the Prednisone) make me totally anxious. I am totally moody and just don't feel like myself. I have one more week on and then I'm NOT going back on them again. There are other meds the docs can try, so I'm pushing for those, which hopefully I won't need.

My issues have been mostly skin related. Itching/rashes, etc. The itching/rash on my body was pretty much determined to be linked to my allergies. The antihistmines have really taken care of that and I've pretty much been itch free since- yay!!! The rash on my face is the bad part, though. My husband is SO wonderful and tries to tell me all the time it's not that bad (mineral makeup helps a lot) but it burns and itches, which drives me nuts. I actually think it's a reaction from all the topical steroids I had been prescribed for a smaller issue that started 8 months ago. My derm is willing to work with me, which is great, but it's just taking so much time.

As far as the diet. I feel like everything I read says, DON'T EAT X, Y, Z, so I'm afraid to eat anything. My allergist said my diet shouldn't matter b/c I wasn't allergic to any foods, but I think there is definitely a link. I'm really hoping the probiotics help plug up my digestive tract and help my immune system fend that stuff off so I can eat more soon.

Good news is we might be moving in the next year, so maybe it is allergy related and I can get back to my hometown and be done with all of this! Fingers crossed!

Sorry this got so long. Thanks for listening/reading, though. The BBB is my therapy!!!

niccig
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry you're not well.

My only experience has been that test results of normal range vary from lab to lab. I had become crazy, exhausted woman and as I've got thyroid issues, I got my levels checked. I was told they were normal, but the endocrinologist put me on synthroid because of the thyroid nodule while I waited for surgery. Funny enough, 3-4 weeks later I feel much better and in getting a 2nd opinion on the surgery, I found out that the lab range for TSH is now 0.3 - 3.0 but some labs still use the old range of 0.5 - 5.0. My level was 3.63, so I was hypothyroid, but according to the lab my endo used, who's based at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, I was normal. I've changed doctors and labs.

A friend is an ER nurse and she said it happens all the time. Someone comes in and has a dangerously high level of potassium, but according to previous laboratories that level isn't high, so nothing was done about it. She said to always ask what the lab's normal range is and to get your actual numbers and check what it should be.

I hope the doctors figure it out and soon.

StantonHyde
01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Get thee to a nutritionist :-) Seriously, it is worth it. It is ok to add fat when you are so underweight--go for whole milk dairy products and add health oils to EVERYTHING. Good luck--I have never had to take prednisone (sp?) and I pray I never do--everyone I know hates it.

LarsMal
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
My doctor is stumped and every time I get an appointment with my dermatologist it dissappears, only to return a few weeks later. Anyway now that I have a possible name for it maybe my doctor and I can work from there to figure out what is going on.

I'm sorry you are going through this- it definately sucks. (((((hugs)))))

Next time it flares, take a picture of it! I did that when I flared up over the holidays. I knew I was going to see my PCP first, who saw me in pretty bad shape, but my allergist and derm would see me after I started the Prednisone. As much as I hated it, I took a picture of my face and took it to show both my allergist and derm. They looked at it and went from there.

I hope you find relief, too!

Laurel
01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok, I too have been getting hives since DS was born 4 months ago!!! I thought it was from the sun, but they seem to come when I am out in cold weather as well. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

LarsMal
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Ok, I too have been getting hives since DS was born 4 months ago!!! I thought it was from the sun, but they seem to come when I am out in cold weather as well. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Very interesting! There has got to be a hormonal connection.

There are lots of medication therapies for it if you get desperate. They involve both Histamine 1 (like Benedryl, Claritin) and Histamine 2 (Zantac, Pepcid, etc.) blockers. There is also an anti-depressant that's given in a very low dose which is both an H1 and H2 blocker. From what I've read online, people have a lot of success with that one. It's both annoying and fascinating!

I hope yours clear up soon!

JoyNChrist
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
(((HUGS)))

I have no advice (obviously), but I know it sucks. Hang in there.

(And you're free hijack my threads anytime you want. :wink2: )

ilovetivo
01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
LarsMal - is it possible you have acquired food allergies? Celiac? Eosinophilic stuff? Parasite? Have you had gastro biopsies? What type of dr's are you seeing? The pred usually makes people gain weight. How are your other blood counts?

I'm sorry you're struggling!

kijip
01-20-2008, 02:09 PM
I have a friend that went to Nepal, got an water borne illness and almost died. She came home to the states and was sick for weeks and weeks. While she had never been fat, she was never thin before either. She shrank to an alarmingly thin weight and was anxiously trying to gain some back. All these people kept congratulating her on her diet success and telling her how thin/beautiful/wonderful she looked. She was just like dude, I almost died. This is not a diet plan. So sad that she could get that thin during a life threatening illness and get nothing but compliments.

I am sorry people are such jerks and I hope you figure it out real soon.

LarsMal
01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
LarsMal - is it possible you have acquired food allergies? Celiac? Eosinophilic stuff? Parasite? Have you had gastro biopsies? What type of dr's are you seeing? The pred usually makes people gain weight. How are your other blood counts?

I'm sorry you're struggling!

Hey Tivo!
It's good to "see" you back! I hope all is well with your clan.

I had allergy testing done a few months ago. All of the foods they tested me for (the main ones) came up negative, including the tree nut allergy I had as a child. I still haven't tried any tree nuts yet, I'm not convinced it was a true negative!

I had strong positives for dust mites and pet dander, as well as some trees. I think the itchy rash on my body was possibly from the dust mites. That has really been taken care of with the antihistamines.

I also saw a gastro who did ultrasounds, an endoscopy, and a food emptying challenge. He said my stomach did not empty in the alloted amount of time and called it a virus. My stomach feels much better, but I'm just so stressed from all of these issues that I have trouble eating.

I have been tested for Lupus as well, and my ANA bloodwork came back normal. I am going to have my allergist do testing for mastocytosis or other auto-immune disorders, to try and rule some other things out.

Who knows what's going on. It's all a funky mystery!