PDA

View Full Version : Potty training help needed

HIU8
01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
DS turned 3 in November. He shows signs of being ready to potty train--stays dry during a nap. asks to use the potty (sometimes). Tells me when he pee's or poops so I can change him. However, when he has used the potty (tries about 3 times a day) nothing happens. He asks for a diaper and promptly does his thing. We have never pushed the potty. We waited for DS to ask us to use it. How long can I expect DS to "use" the potty with nothing happening? At what point do you go to a more intense approach. In DS preschool class all the girls are training or are already trained and just 2 of the boys are training. He did tell my mother that his babydoll is almost ready to use the potty, so I am hopeful things will progress soon, but I have visions of him still being in diapers at age 4.

Thanks,

daniele_ut
01-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't have any advice for you, since we are in precisely the same boat. I just wanted to bump this up. I'll be watching for responses too!

inmypjs
01-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I feel like I could have written your post! My DS was 3 in Nov and he is uninterested in PT. For awhile we "suggested" he sit on the potty and gave him small rewards and lots of praise, but he's never gone on it. Like yours, no matter how long or what time he sat, he'd go about 15-30 min after putting on a diaper. A few days ago he told me he no longer wants to sit on the potty at all and just wants to wear diapers. Sigh. We're not pushing for now, just hoping! He will start regular 1 day/week childcare next week with a 4 yo boy who is trained, so I have high hopes for that. So, no answers for you but just wanted you to know you are not alone!

Katie

pinkmomagain
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Another one here in a similar boat. DD is 2 yo, but is staying dry for very long periods of time, tells me when she has wet/dirtied her diaper, very willingly sits on the potty, but never voids on the potty no matter how long it's been since last going. I've tried running water in the bathroom tub or sink, to get the visual going...but nothing. Hoping someone with advice responds!

Gina

teddy
01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to say that I am with you! We're in the same situation - DS turned 3 in Nov and is barely interested in the potty. Last week I tried really really hard with him and he actually peed in the potty a few times and pooped in the toilet. But then he's gone back to peeing in his training pants after sitting on the potty. He absolutely refuses to try the potty now. Sigh.... Guess I have to buy more size 5s!

I don't want to push either. But he's the kind of kid that needs a "push" in order to do anything. He's starting preschool in the fall so I realize I have a lot of time before then. I just hope that I don't need all of that time!

KrisM
01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
DS was 2.5 when he trained, and we did naked. Yes, there were a few accidents the first day or so, but he quickly figured it out after that.

Also, we rarely just sat on the potty. I would set a timer for 30 minutes and when it went off, it was potty time. I'd do a stupid little potty time dance and song and he went in and tried to pee. If he could, great, if not, off he went. It was maybe a minute of trying, tops.

Peeing when naked is a good way for them to see what exactly is happening and to put the pieces together. I know it's worked for a lot of boys, but am sure it doesn't work 100%.

Also, I pretty much picked a week with nothing important going on and we stayed home as much as we could so we could fully concentrate on this without the confusion of sometimes in a diaper and sometimes not.

Joolsplus2
01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Naked time did wonders for my almost-3 yo ds. He was peeing and pooing on the lawn, but at least it didn't involved diapers (they get so that the diaper is the only place they can relax enough, I think...anything BUT the diaper is good when you are trying to un-diapertrain them). Then vacation in Hawaii at grandma's ended :(... it took another year before he was reliably dry, and we had such terrible power struggles over pooping that he'd only go in his pullup in the middle of the night. I finally had to resort to encopresis therapies (suppositories...)...that did the trick, and within 6 more months he was completely in underwear, day and night. If we'd had a few more weeks of naked time, I think he would have been completely out of diaps in the day at three...

DD1 had a little easier time day training and poop training...naked time was key again... just in the house... not as nice as grandma's backyard, that's for sure! Then she was wet at night till almost 7.

I tried EC with my youngest...it was great! SO simple to pee and poo a newborn/infant on a little potty! But we didn't keep it up...sigh...Now she's almost 2, and I think we are headed down the same road as the older two...she's very good about holding it till she has a diaper on :( As soon as things are warmer, we're doing naked time again... We have potties in every room in the house, we talk about how GREAT the toilet is, she's excited by it, we just haven't had any success at all in her actually using it...