PDA

View Full Version : Diapers in Italy

marcywench
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
We are going to Italy for a weeklong trip next month. DD is 27 months. She is in cloth at night and pullups during the day at daycare.

Does anyone have any advice on what diapers are available in Italy and how they compare? I'll I've been able to find is that they are available in pharmacies, and of course, I need to know her weight in kilos. I'd love to keep her in cloth, but I don't know what sort of laundry facilities we'll have.

mamicka
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Not Italy, but we've travelled to Spain with kids in diapers. I'd assume that it'd be similar, but I don't know for sure.

We were able to get diapers at the grocery store (this was in a large city, but not huge - the capital of the province) so it was a large suburban-style grocery store. They had Huggies that were pretty comparable to Huggies here, although styled a bit differently. We cloth diapered in the US as well & wouldn't wanted to have tried doing cloth abroad. *Way* too complicated.

I think that whatever you would find would be sufficient for a weeklong trip.

Have a great time!

american_mama
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM
I lived in Belgium and disposables were available at all the grocery stores and the major discount stores, same as the US. It was just formula that was only at pharmacies. The diaper packages were similar, as were the diapers themselves. Your American pull-up package probably has the weight range already written in kilograms in smaller print underneath the pound weight range. Come to think of it, I don't know if they had pull-ups in Belgium. Maybe yes, but don't really know.

There is a BBBer who lives in Italy. I can't remember her name, but her son is Avery, if you want to search for that and PM her your questions.

I did cloth with my second daughter and would not have done them when traveling. Europe, at least northern Europe, is more familiar with cloth than the US, but I just wouldn't want to bother. I don't even do it when traveling in the US. I am also not sure how plentiful laundromats are in other countries. In Germany, they were not common, at least not in the past. My German friend thought it was hysterical that an American bachelor friend of mine bought a house, but hadn't yet purchased a washer and just relied on laundromats. A house but no washing machine! So bizarre that he couldn't wait to tell his wife. They had a dilapidated apartment and the washer was their first major purchase.

MommyAllison
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, there is a BBB'er who just moved back to the US from Italy - search for "denna" (her screenname) and I bet she could help you!

Neatfreak
01-10-2008, 02:28 AM
We just came back from Belgium, where we bought a package of Huggies Pull-Ups for my kiddo. Pink Disney Princesses and Cars, so what I was used to seeing in North America.