PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Keyfit & Subaru Forester?

reissgirl
01-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I've read a few posts complaining about the fit of the Chicco Keyfit in the Subaru Forester. I have a 2004 Forester and, after much agonizing, have decided that I want the Chicco Keyfit.

Has anyone been able to install the Chicco Keyfit with the base (using LATCH) in a Subaru Forester, without having to move the seats all the way up?

I am 5'5" and my husband is 5'8" so we don't need tons of leg room up front but we certainly don't want to be uncomfortable.

Thanks!!!

Joolsplus2
01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm certain it will be fine. Just want to make sure you know that the base cannot be installed in the center seat with LATCH, though, only in the 'outboard' seats. You could probably install it in the center with a seatbelt, though (unless the seat contours keep the base from fitting well)
:thumbsup:

hillview
01-10-2008, 10:14 AM
My girlfriend has the chico and a forrester but it is center installed with a belt. The seats do have to be a bit forward I believe. It wouldnt work in an outboard seat unless the seat was really far forward is what my friend told me when I asked. Oh and she has a 2005 Forrester.
HTH
/hillary

reissgirl
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I actually went to a store today and tried to install several car seats in my Forester. Here's what I found... keep in mind that I haven't had this checked out by a car seat inspector, these are just my observations.

1) Chicco Keyfit
The base seems to fit tightly using LATCH. When installed behind the passenger seat it definitely limits the leg room but it's really not that bad. I did not have to move the seat all the way up, and I was still able to recline the seat a little.

I don't know if it's safe, but it also fit really well in the middle seat. This also did not interfere at all with passenger or driver seat position. I installed it like that using one LATCH connector from each outboard seat. I'm just not sure if this is allowable for safety.

2) Britax Companion
This was a really great fit. It felt completely sturdy and didn't move around at all. It took up a couple of more inches so the passenger seat was less comfortable. I am not buying the Britax because I found it very cumbersome and difficult to engage the buttons to swing the handle arm.

3) Graco Snugride
This base did not fit well at all. I literally put all of my weight on the base to push it down so that I could tighten the LATCH strap. It got really tight but the base still moved around a lot. I did not try it using the seatbelt since I am only interested in using a car seat base. I've heard that car seat inspectors sometimes use pool noodles and other stuff to make a car seat fit, but the Snugride base would need a fair amount of work to fit tightly. Also, it was the bulkiest seat and was therefore the least comfortable fit for the passenger seat.

Joolsplus2
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Did you happen to try the Graco Safeseat 1? That's a hundred times easier/better to install than the Snugride :)

But the Key Fit is great. No, you can't use LATCH in the center, which is why we said to use the seatbelt there. The base has a built in lockoff, so you just get the lap portion tight, slip the shoulderbelt into the lockoff and you're good to go. :thumbsup:

The major downfall of the Britax seat is that you MUST put the handle down when driving... Chicco and Graco can be left up... if you were already finding the buttons hard to push on the Britax, you'd dread doing it every time you got in the car (that was a major reason I barely used my Companion... I far far far prefered my Key Fit and Safeseat 1 for that handle issue alone, lol)

Oh, I've owned a few infant seats..here's how my dd looked in them, if you're interested..http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Leahincarseats