PDA

View Full Version : sleep issues are the worst - long & self-pitying

npace19147
01-10-2008, 04:59 AM
So I've been up with DD2 since 3am, it is now 3:50, forgive me if this is a little less than coherent.

DD1 and DD2 have been sleeping in the same room for about two months now. DD1 is 3 1/2, DD2 is 9mo. Not going badly - DD2 woke up about 1 - 2x per night to nurse, which was painful but doable, went right back to sleep after.

Over the holidays both girls were sick, DD2 had croup and RSV. All sleep patterns went out the window, of course. Now DD2 is in the habit of getting up at 11pm to eat, go back to sleep, wake up at 3am to nurse a little then be awake to play for an hour or so. I haven't been able to put her down to CIO b/c she wakes up DD1. So tonight we set up the bassinet in the playroom so I could work on sleep training her w/o waking up DD1.

I've been in to check on her several times and picked her up once (self-defeating, I know) and she seems ok, just will not go to sleep, crying and making noise.

I am so exhausted I can barely see straight, between taking care of sick kids and being awake for random hours constantly I am just so darn tired. It is sapping my energy and willpower for DD1, who is challenging me constantly. We are watching way too much TV.

She has settled down to a low-level moan, hopefully she will conk out soon and I can get a few more hours of sleep before it all starts again. If you made it this far, thanks for letting me vent.

elephantmeg
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
aww, hope things settle down soon!!!!!!!!!

egoldber
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
You know, she may be catching up on food/calories from the bout of RSV especially if she didnt eat much while she was sick. It can really take it out of the little ones.

gatorsmom
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Oh, you are so right. Sleep issues are the worst.

I sooo understand sleep deprivation. The twins are waking up so many times per night to nurse that if I didn't cosleep with them and nurse at the same time, I'd be a mess during the day (well, I am still a mess during the day, but I'd be certifiable otherwise).

And 3.5 is such a hard age. It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff to teach them to sleep on their own. It will be worth it! Hang in there.

npace19147
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
You know, she may be catching up on food/calories from the bout of RSV especially if she didnt eat much while she was sick. It can really take it out of the little ones.

Yes, initially that was the case and while not happy about it of course I gave her what she needed. But she enjoyed getting up and the attention when she was better. I could tell when that 3am feed went from actually hungry to "nibble...nibble... hey mom let's play!"