PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to puerto rico?

hillview
01-10-2008, 10:16 AM
We are going there in Feb and want to know
1) what it is like -- any suggestions
2) do I need to lug diapers and baby food with me or not (I think not but looking for BTDT advice).
3) anything else??
TIA!
/hillary

mamalia
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I went several years ago, pre-DD, and loved it! If you have been to Hawaii, it is very similar to one of the neighbor islands (Maui, Kauai, Big Island). Humid, friendly people, "country" living, and good food. The beaches are amazing (especially if you can get out to one of the little islands - Vieques or Culebra) and El Yunque was so green and beautiful. I'm all about food so I STILL remember my favorite restaurants.
El Jibarito - a true local spot, pretty close to the Fort in San Juan
Ropa Vieja - in Condado but a farther walk in the opposite direction from SJ
Ajili Mojili - finer dining in Condado, YUMMY

Food recommendations: Pasteles, Gandule Rice, Flan, Pina Coladas (they were invented in PR!), and taking advantage of the FRESH sea food.

1) what it is like -- see above
2) do I need to lug diapers and baby food with me or not (I think not but looking for BTDT advice). -- I was oblivious to kids then. I remember lots of drugstores though and a mall, so probably not.
3) anything else?? -- In 2003 (when I went) the economy was pretty bad (probably still is) and so there was quite a bit of tourist crime...theft, etc. We saw a taxi driver post-mugging and it was NOT pretty. I'd just suggest being careful about valuables and keeping your guard up.

We had a great time, and looking back, I think it would be a great spot for families because it is soooooooooo darn relaxing and beautiful.

HAVE FUN!!
Malia

Tondi G
01-13-2008, 05:56 PM
We left from PR for our Honeymoon cruise and then stayed a few extra nights there when we returned from our carribean cruise. We stayed in the Dorado Beach Hyatt and it was beautiful!!! The resort was so nice and the beach was fantastic! I am assuming you can get diapers and such in Puerto Rico but if you are partial to a particular brand you might want to bring yours along! Keep in mind... any space it takes up in the suitcases going there you can fill with "things" you buy coming home!

Good Luck and have a fabulous trip!

~Tondi

cuca_
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I grew up in PR, and go back to visit my family often. You don't need to bring diapers and baby food. They sell all the major brands there. I'm pretty sure they also sell earth's best at Toys R US/Babies R US. As to your first question, it depends where you are staying. For example, San Juan is the major city with tons of Hotels, restaurants and shopping. There are also beautiful resorts in smaller towns, like the one Tondi mentioned (unfortunately that particular one is no longer open).

HTH!

Tondi G
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I grew up in PR, and go back to visit my family often. You don't need to bring diapers and baby food. They sell all the major brands there. I'm pretty sure they also sell earth's best at Toys R US/Babies R US. As to your first question, it depends where you are staying. For example, San Juan is the major city with tons of Hotels, restaurants and shopping. There are also beautiful resorts in smaller towns, like the one Tondi mentioned (unfortunately that particular one is no longer open).

HTH!

WOW... bummer! It hasn't been that long... so sorry to hear it is no longer open! :(

smilla653
01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
We stayed at Las Casitas (part of the El Conquistador resort).

Whenver we stay at resorts, I bring diapers and whatever else I need with me. Unless you are renting a house and have access to a car, it can be tricky to buy supplies.

Puerto Rico, in general, was nice!