PDA

View Full Version : Apologies for board outage today! Search now working!

alandenisefields
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
We were doing some maintenance on the server today and made a mistake---this crashed the boards for the last six hours! We apologize! Our goof.

On the plus side, the search function of the board is now fully working----and you can search all posts from past discussions!

Again, we are sorry about that outage!

Alan & Denise

Emmas Mom
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
:bighand::cheerleader1: I think it's pretty funny that the minute the board goes back up there's automatically about 120 people online. Some of us just can't stay away. I was going through withdraw symptoms all over again! :bouncy::ROTFLMAO:

kristenk
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm still having trouble with the search function. I tried to search for "Tyler Place" a few days ago and got 20 pages of results. I'm not sure how this search works, so I tried: Tyler Place, "Tyler Place", and tyler+place. I got 20 pages of results each time.

After reading this announcement, I tried the search again (all 3 ways) and I still got 20 pages of results each time. :( What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any search tips?

missym
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm still having trouble with the search function. I tried to search for "Tyler Place" a few days ago and got 20 pages of results. I'm not sure how this search works, so I tried: Tyler Place, "Tyler Place", and tyler+place. I got 20 pages of results each time.

After reading this announcement, I tried the search again (all 3 ways) and I still got 20 pages of results each time. :( What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any search tips?

By default, the search engine finds any thread which contains Tyler and Place (anywhere in the thread - can be separate posts). Under advanced search, at the bottom, click: Show Results as Posts
This will narrow your results to only include posts with both words.

HTH!

tylersmama
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
:signthankspin: Woohoo, it's back! And, by the way, I don't know when they showed up, but I LOVE the new smilies! :boogie:

elliput
01-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Missy added the new smilies just a couple days ago.:thumbsup:

kristenk
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
By default, the search engine finds any thread which contains Tyler and Place (anywhere in the thread - can be separate posts). Under advanced search, at the bottom, click: Show Results as Posts
This will narrow your results to only include posts with both words.

HTH!

Thanks for the reply, Missy! I went back and did another search with Show Results as Posts checked. I still ended up with 20 pages of results, but they were in a different format. I opened up a couple of the results and saw that "Tyler" was highlighted in red somewhere in the thread, but I didn't see "Place" at all. It looks like it's doing an either/or kind of search to me.

Sigh. I was so good at searching the old boards!:rolleye0014:

missym
01-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the reply, Missy! I went back and did another search with Show Results as Posts checked. I still ended up with 20 pages of results, but they were in a different format. I opened up a couple of the results and saw that "Tyler" was highlighted in red somewhere in the thread, but I didn't see "Place" at all. It looks like it's doing an either/or kind of search to me.

Sigh. I was so good at searching the old boards!:rolleye0014:

That's weird. When I do that search, I get 3 pages of results, and they are all posts with both "tyler" and "place" in them. I'm not sure if this link will work, but here are my results:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=24492

kristenk
01-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the link to your search results! That will definitely help me tomorrow when I look through for reviews!:yay:

However, I wonder what in the world I'm doing differently than you. Is there some setting that could be different that would affect searches? I didn't see any other options to check in the Advanced Search box, but I must have missed something. :scratching head smiley:

missym
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
However, I wonder what in the world I'm doing differently than you. Is there some setting that could be different that would affect searches? I didn't see any other options to check in the Advanced Search box, but I must have missed something. :scratching head smiley:

Hmmm, it's a mystery. Let's see if I can attach a screenshot of the search I'm doing. I know it's not just my account, because I logged out and searched as a guest, too.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1337/5162394/18569690/297806766.jpg

kristenk
01-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! That's what my search screen looks like, too! The only difference is that I come up with 500 results - which I'm guessing might be the max.

This is so strange.

KrisM
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! That's what my search screen looks like, too! The only difference is that I come up with 500 results - which I'm guessing might be the max.

This is so strange.

FWIW, I tried this too and got 500 results. I got slightly better results if I sorted by revelency instead of date, but not much.

I hope we can figure this out because I can't find anything!

missym
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Let's try this a different way. Using the standard search window, try:
+tyler +place

That only gives me 2 pages of results. They should all be instances where a post contains both words.

"tyler place" yields 5 threads. These contain the exact phrase "tyler place."

kristenk
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Ooooooh! I love experiments:

+tyler +place
in the drop down search menu at the top of the page
results: 20 pages/500 results

"tyler place"
in the drop down search menu at the top of the page
results: 20 pages/500 results

missym
01-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks - that's helpful. Could you log out, close your browser, reopen, and try the search as a guest?

kristenk
01-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Okay, this is too funny now.

I logged out and tried both searches listed above as a guest. I got the same results you did - 2 pages for 1 search and 5 threads for the other.

I logged back in (after a long delay during which I was desperately trying to figure out my password!) and tried both searches again. I got 20 pages/500 threads both times.

missym
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Found the problem and fixed it! All users should be able to use boolean search now.

Here are some tips:
apple banana
Find rows that contain at least one of the two words.

+apple +juice
Find rows that contain both words.

+apple macintosh
Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but rank rows higher if they also contain “macintosh”.

+apple -macintosh
Find rows that contain the word “apple” but not “macintosh”.

+apple ~macintosh
Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but if the row also contains the word “macintosh”, rate it lower than if row does not. This is “softer” than a search for '+apple -macintosh', for which the presence of “macintosh” causes the row not to be returned at all.

+apple +(>turnover <strudel)
Find rows that contain the words “apple” and “turnover”, or “apple” and “strudel” (in any order), but rank “apple turnover” higher than “apple strudel”.

apple*
Find rows that contain words such as “apple”, “apples”, “applesauce”, or “applet”.

"some words"
Find rows that contain the exact phrase “some words” (for example, rows that contain “some words of wisdom” but not “some noise words”). Note that the ‘"’ characters that enclose the phrase are operator characters that delimit the phrase. They are not the quotes that enclose the search string itself

kristenk
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Oh, thank you, Missy!:bighand: :cheerleader1: :applause:

I feel like I can do so much more on this board now.:yay:

Piglet
01-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Click the little bottom Show Results as: "Posts" rather than the default "Threads" then you only get 3 pages. I didn't do quotes, plus signs, etc., Just typed in tyler place and made sure the bottom Posts was clicked on.

missym
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Click the little bottom Show Results as: "Posts" rather than the default "Threads" then you only get 3 pages. I didn't do quotes, plus signs, etc., Just typed in tyler place and made sure the bottom Posts was clicked on.

I think "show results as posts" is a shortcut way of doing a boolean + search, which is why it wasn't working for some users before. It should work for everyone now.