PDA

View Full Version : Do you save the BOX TOPS for your kid's school?

Corie
01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I didn't realize how much money this earns for your school.

Our last Box Tops contest at my daughter's elementary school
earned over $3,000.

So, make sure you save your Box Tops for Education!! :)

nfowife
01-10-2008, 11:41 PM
When I taught, some schools were way into this and others didn't seem to care. The ones who did made it a big contest among classrooms with prizes for the class that collected the most each month (usually a pizza party for the class). The PTO would take care of doing all the counting and keeping track. All we had to do as the teachers were dump them into a tupperware container and hand them over.

lisams
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I always forget and then feel guilty. I wish I would remember!

JoyNChrist
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
I save them for my little cousins and my niece. My niece (8) is especially good about reminding me, and she gives me a good chewing out if I forget!

JTsMom
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
My nephew's school does the contests- they've been able to buy a ton of computers with their box tops earnings! I save those for him, and the Campbells Labels for Education as well.

For those in the SE, Publix is currently doing a box tops promo- details at Publixboxtops.com You can earn 100 additional bonus box tops when you buy 12 specially maraked GM products. :) You can also buy less and get 30 or 50.

Last year I bought the stuff to earn 100, and my nephew flipped out when he saw it- really cute. :D

Corie
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
My nephew's school does the contests- they've been able to buy a ton of computers with their box tops earnings! I save those for him, and the Campbells Labels for Education as well.

For those in the SE, Publix is currently doing a box tops promo- details at Publixboxtops.com You can earn 100 additional bonus box tops when you buy 12 specially maraked GM products. :) You can also buy less and get 30 or 50.

Last year I bought the stuff to earn 100, and my nephew flipped out when he saw it- really cute. :D

Holy cow! That is an awesome deal!!

caleymama
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
We do for DD's school now that she's in K. In fact she just reminded us about it this morning as she saw DH clipping one off a cereal box! Previously, we saved them (and soup labels) for MIL's school, where she was a teacher/administrator.

schrocat
01-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I've been saving the boxtops for over a year eventhough DS is 2 and half and not going to a school that collects them yet. When he goes to first grade, I should have a nice collection of boxtops for whichever school he goes to. The ones that expire before he gets to elementary school will be given to his old MDO program which collects these boxtops too.

egoldber
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't because we seldom buy any of the products with the box tops. The list they sent home was mostly stuff we don't eat. And frankly its yet another school fundraising activity that annoys the snot out of me.

Kungjo
01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
We collect Box Tops now that DD #1 is in Kindergarten. We don't go out of our way to buy foods with Box Tops on them. Just buy what we usually do and clip it if it's there.

kijip
01-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't because we seldom buy any of the products with the box tops. The list they sent home was mostly stuff we don't eat.

This is our issue as well. We bake from scratch and avoid most prepared convenience type foods so we don't have anything to clip. Also, I think it is 10 cents a box or something? I am not going to pay more for my groceries in order to score 10 cents for my kid's school. I suppose I am a serious fund raising cynic...just tell me where to send the the check and be done with it.

egoldber
01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I suppose I am a serious fund raising cynic...just tell me where to send the the check and be done with it.

Absolutely! I am SO done with Sally Foster, Chuck E. Cheese Night, Bingo, box tops, Fall Festival...blah blah blah. Please just say how much you REALLY need and have a fund raising drive for that amount. And this is just first grade!

Corie
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
This is our issue as well. We bake from scratch and avoid most prepared convenience type foods so we don't have anything to clip. Also, I think it is 10 cents a box or something? I am not going to pay more for my groceries in order to score 10 cents for my kid's school. I suppose I am a serious fund raising cynic...just tell me where to send the the check and be done with it.

I ended up getting 9 Box Tops just from buying a 3-pack of Kleenex.
I've also cut them off the Cottonelle moist wipes. And Huggies
wipes. It's not all food stuff.
Just an FYI. :)

schrocat
01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
We get our boxtops from Kleenex and Huggies. We cloth diaper at home but DS wears diapers when we're out and pullups at Montessori. I haven't found any food items that we'd eat with the boxtops too. Ziplock (sp) bags also have the boxtops. We don't use those often and take ages to go through a box but they have boxtops there too.

mezzona
01-16-2008, 12:44 AM
hmm.. what are boxtops? I tried to look them up but the website didn't explain much. I'd hate to think that we're using and throwing away a lot of stuff that has some kind of value to a school!

klwa
01-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I save them for my niece. This past summer the local Food Lion was running a promotion where you got the 100 extra just for buying 5 items or so as a PP mentioned. It was great! We also collect the Campbells Soup labels for my other niece. If the 1st niece's school collected both, I'd give her both since she goes to the school DS will be going to.

Pennylane
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, I think it is an easy way to help the school raise money. I don't buy products just for that reason though. I also have my mom and my mother-in-law save for us too.

Ann

Corie
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
hmm.. what are boxtops? I tried to look them up but the website didn't explain much. I'd hate to think that we're using and throwing away a lot of stuff that has some kind of value to a school!

Box Tops are only on certain foods and products. I'm sure their
website has a list. Your children's schools can redeem the Box Tops
and get cash for their school. Our fall Box Tops contest at my
daughter's elementary school earned $3,000 for the school.

I took a picture of the top of our Cheerios box showing the little Box Top
in the bottom left corner.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jellybellysmama/IMG_0333.jpg

This is a picture of a group of Box Tops.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jellybellysmama/IMG_0338.jpg

I get most of my Box Tops from Cheerios, Kleenex, Huggies wipes,
Pillsbury crescent rolls, some cake mixes, Hamburger Helper, etc.

mezzona
01-17-2008, 03:18 AM
thanks! went through my recycling bag and found a couple =) now to find someone who collects them..

noodle
01-17-2008, 10:51 AM
We collect them, but only sporadically (and pretty much only from kleenexes). We have a lovely neighbor who saves hers for us (and I suspect she gets some from her friends as well, because she gives us a lot!). Our last school did the contest thing, and I'm quite pleased that the new school doesn't. There's a big glass (5-6 gallon) bottle in the library. Each fall they do a party where they display all the new library books that were purchased with the money. It's very sweet. DS loves to take the boxtops in and "deposit" them. He feels a part of something good. :)

Jennifer