PDA

View Full Version : When did DC get their first haircut?

JoyNChrist
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
DH is bugging me to cut Avery's hair. He's getting blonde curls all around the back and sides, and DH says it looks "girly". But I think it's cute. (You can click on his name in my signature to see a pic that I think shows it off pretty well.)

Also it's kind of a tradition where I'm from to wait until at least 1 year old for baby's first haircut (maybe it's like that everywhere, I dunno). So I'd like to wait 'til then at least.

Obviously, I'm sure it depends on how much/little hair DC had, but I'd still like to know when y'all reached for the scissors.

Neatfreak
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM
My DD didn't need a trim until she was about fourteen months old. She didn't have enough hair to warrant a *real* haircut until she was nearly three. I just trimmed at home until then ...

I kind of like your little guy's curls!

TahliasMom
01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
did it around 2 years old as dd's hair started to thin out and curly/tangled. she has a bob with bangs and she gets a trim every 6-7 weeks.

C99
01-11-2008, 01:50 AM
It's tradition in DH's family for his grandfather (a retired barber) to give the boys their first haircuts. DS1 was about 16M at the time, but other than a few little long hairs in the back, he probably could have gone longer before his first cut. He was pretty much bald until he was over 1.

psophia17
01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Tradition in DH's family is at 1yr, so that's what we've gone with.

I'm not going to be blamed for ruining my boys' lives by having their hair cut before I'm allowed, no way jose.

JoyNChrist
01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
It's tradition in DH's family for his grandfather (a retired barber) to give the boys their first haircuts.

Aw, that's sweet. :)

tylersmama
01-11-2008, 02:39 AM
DS got his first haircut around 10 months, but if he had those cute little wispy curls, I definitely would have waited! His hair just looked stringy and not so good over his ears and the back of his neck...

katydid1971
01-11-2008, 02:40 AM
DS doesn't have a ton of hair so when he was about 26 months (yes over two) we gave him his first hair cut and I only cut off his mullet (he was looking pretty country music star). He doesn't have long hair like a girl but I love his curls so I let them be. He looks like a boy and FIL say he looks like a Russian violinist, always a little disshoveled but I like it :) Don't cut those curls, he'll have lots of time to wear manly hair plus as long as you don't dress him in pink frilly skirts I don't think most people will be confused :)

ellies mom
01-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Ellie is four and we still haven't cut her hair. It is very curly and and just kept getting fuller rather than longer. And since she started out rather sparse, she needed that fullness. We are just getting to the point where I've started thinking about cutting her hair but I'm dreading the thought of trying to find someone who can cut curly hair on a very shy young child. Luckily, she still doesn't really need one.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Avi was 3. There is a jewish tradition to wait until boys are 3 before you cut their hair. It is not a rule but rather a tradition and since Avi's father did not have his hair cut until he was 3 he wanted to carry on the tradition.

Edited to remove pics

JoyNChrist
01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Aw, Ilana, that is so neat!

Looks like he had some pretty hair - almost a shame to cut it!

klwa
01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
DH wanted DS to get his hair cut from the day the curls came in. However, I was able to argue that since the front of his hair hadn't really come in, he was fine until he was about 15 months old. So long as his hair isn't getting in his way, I'd hold off a bit.

KrisM
01-11-2008, 08:22 AM
DS was just over 1 and I was mad when the curls got cut. She was not supposed to cut them, just trim around the whole thing. So, I let them grow back and then continued to trim the bangs, the over the ears part, and the total length, but he had no layers in the back, so it was pretty curly. He did not look like a girl.

At age 2, we got him a more standard boy cut for the summer, because his hair was getting so thick. THat's what he has now, coming up on 4.

DD has tons of curls and very long bangs, but has not had a hair cut. I put it up in pig tails to get it out of her eyes.

sidmand
01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
DS was 13-14 months old. But it was the summer and he kind of has my hair...when it was humid out, it got really curly on the ends. It was kind of cute, but it was getting longish and hard to manage (and DH did think he was starting to look like a girl).

DS has HATED every haircut since then though (and that one too) but that's another story. Now we get it cut as short as possible so we don't have to go back very often! And now there are no more curls...

lmintzer
01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
My boys were both born with very little hair. We called them our little peach-headed boys. Neither one needed a haircut until over 2! Closer to 2 1/2 for Joshua!

ilfaith
01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
We first cut DS1's hair at about 18 months. Just before my brother's wedding. He had tons of curls which were getting a bit unruly by that point, so my mother suggested a trim. I just had the barber neaten it up, but we kept the curls. He had his first "big boy" (short) haircut closer to turning two...and I cried when the curls were chopped off.

DS2 is 17 months and we're planning on having his hair cut next month when we go to Miami to see DH's family. There's a barber there who gave DS1 his first "real" haircut. His hair isn't quite as thick and curly as his brother's, but it's pretty close. Both boys were born with quite a bit of hair. Fortunately they seem to inherited their hair from my side of the family...I hope I'm not jinxing them to a future of male pattern baldness by typing that.

wencit
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
DS just got his first haircut last weekend, so 21 months. He has no curls, but it was getting a little long and looked like he had perpetual bedhead, so I figured it was time to cut. I expected him to freak out, but once those clippers came close to his head, he squeezed his eyes shut and couldn't even open them, he was so scared. It was really cute.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I think around 18-20 months.

Beth

scoop22
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
ds needed one before a year but i wanted to wait till he was over 1. ds had his first haircut at 15 mo. what i thought was a bad haircut experience was actually great as compared to now. i regret waiting that long. i wish i would have done it earlier (only b/c he did need it). it is a very tramatic experience at our house on haircut days. we have to do it ourselves now. i am to embarrassed to take him anywhere. so i guess we are saving money right?? it was hard for me to have his hair cut..

mamicka
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
DS1 - he got his first haircut the day we came home from the hospital - he was born with a ton of hair, including a 1-inch tail in the back. Since his hair is stick-straight, we needed to keep cutting it to keep it out of his eyes.

I think Avery's curls are really cute, but not at all girly. I say keep the curls as long as you can - let him be a man when he actually *is* a man. Avery is a baby, cute & curly is perfectly appropriate for a baby. For a toddler, too, for that matter.

infocrazy
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
DS1 was about 17 months old. He had TONS of curls but mostly just in the back. After we cut it, the curls spread like wildfire and now he has a head full of them and has to get it cut every other month just to keep it manageable! DH calls it "Curls gone wild!" ;-)

DS2 was 6 months old. His is stick straight and he was born with a Mohawk! It stood straight up and he only had hair on top. It will be awhile though before he will need anything more than a "mom trim" again.

kijip
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Toby was 18 months old. He was nearly bald his entire first year of life, however.

I like Avery's baby curls and think you should keep them for now. Trust me, once you cut them they are gone. My son's hair never curled again!

Marisa6826
01-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Small trims here and there around 12m. The big official one was at 18mo or so for Sophie. I seem to recall it was earlier for Mia.

I just can't deal with toddler mullets. ;)

-m

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Are you kidding? Keep those curls. Ds's curls are down to his shoulders and we love every strand. Luckily the hair stylist we go to totally backs me up on this. She's a grandmother and gladly reminds me that he'll have plenty of time for masculine haircuts when he's older and will only be able to pull this off for a limited time so enjoy it. Right now he just gets his bangs trimmed and the very front edges.

You'll know when it's time to say goodbye to the babyhair. Personally,just from looking at the photo I'd say you have nothing to be concerned about. JMO though.

ThreeofUs
01-12-2008, 08:50 AM
DS didn't have enough hair to cut until he was 2, so I waited until he had short, adorable red/gold curls and people constantly thought he was a girl until I cut his hair. 2.25, perhaps? But his hair was so beautiful, everyone in our circle was telling me not to cut it at all!

pastrygirl
01-12-2008, 12:05 PM
My son was really hairy from birth. I think I first cut his hair when he was a few months old, maybe 4 or 5 months? I couldn't stand the hair covering his ears and eyes. I took him for his first serious boy cut when he was a year old. I regretted it, and let it grow back shaggy for a while. Then at around 17 months, I decided the shaggy look wasn't cute anymore, it was just messy. He's 19 months old now and I have to take him to my hairdresser every single month for a trim. His hair grows like crazy! :)

lizajane
01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
i am surprised how many folks were able to wait so long. but i guess my kids had way more hair than most. i had to give dylan a "real" haircut at 4 months. and schuyler had to have the mohawk tamed around the same age!

belovedgandp
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Right at 18 months. Only because of the wispy hairs around his ears and neck. I thought it would be a few clips, but my hairdresser really trimmed it up into a nice shape. Hold off as long as you can, he'll instantly look so much bigger. I love the baby boy look.

denna
01-13-2008, 12:08 AM
DS got his first haircut at 5mos...he is now 21mos and has had 8 haircuts since. His hair grows like crazy. He actually had a baby 'mullet' so we HAD to get it cut.

IMO Avery's hair looks fine and not at all girly... I personally would wait a month or 2 til it gets a little longer.