PDA

View Full Version : Why is weight watchers so expensive?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-11-2008, 03:53 AM
So I've decided that something has to give, and that as unpleasant as dieting is I've got to do it. Last time I was on ww I lost about 110 pounds (yes you read that correctly). Unfortunatly it all came back over the course of 14 years. OK, so having 2 children didn't help. Neither did quiting smoking,yes when I smoke I lose weight. NO I don't want to start again. There were several other contributing factors but I won't go into them here and now.

So tonight I went online to look into ww again. HOLY MONKEYS!!! Can I just say they want too much money to come to their meetings. Especially if dh will be joining me. Last time I did this the weekly meeting were such a support. But why does it have to be $12 per week!? Jeez! And why can't I get a freaking treadmill on craigslist? I know I need to walk every day. I know I won't do it in the early morning outside. I know a treadmill would be the best thing for me and for dh. He gained a lot of weight during our second pg and took on a high stress job at about the same time so he got his belly back. I know neither of us is small. I know this, i know this. I know something must be done or our dc will be embarassed by us or be overweight as well.

But why does everything you need , or are supposed to do have to be so blasted expensive?

Maybe I should just buy some spanx for a temporary self esteem boost. At least it would reign in some of this baby tummy I still have and firm things up a little.

LD92599
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
The monthly pass is $39.95/month and includes online eTools.

I also lost alot of weight - yikes it was 16 years ago and I lost 80 pounds. I started on my sweet sixteen (OK i started the day AFTER!) and got to my goal for my 17th birthday....then lost more while in college and a little up/down, one DC, etc. I'm now about 20 pounds above my lowest...but i want to lose 10 :-)

I've been going to WW for the last year. My heart and mindset haven't been there but I'm glad I didn't gain, when all is said and done, for 2007. I started back yesterday morning and will make the commitment to myself to stick w/ it on Thursday Mornings before work.

I *think* the monthly pass makes me more accountable (well i hope so!) since it's already paid for! Check w/ your health insurance too because alot of them at least allow for free registration in the event that WW doesn't offer it at the time.

Dieting IS hard...and of course you already know that. At least your DH will do it with you - that's a huge step to success.

I just got a 10% off coupon for any treadmill in Sears in case you're interested....let me know and i can mail it to you. Even though you're checking CL check out your local Sears store because i've found FANTASTIC deals on floor models and customer returns - all with full warranty, etc.

Good luck!

hellokitty
01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Do you think that maybe instead of spending $12 per wk for the mtg that it would be better worth it for your family to join a gym or the Y instead? This way you can go and workout together, they have childcare and I believe that many gyms offer wt loss support or a type of program, esp at this time of yr. Just some food for thought. The good thing is that the gym offers classes and a variety of different equipment, so you don't end up getting bored. I know I easily get bored when I do the same exercise routine all of the time.

If you do not want to join a gym, you can always check out some workout videos at the library for free to give yourself some variety. Denise austin and leslie sansone both have walk dvd programs if walking is your primarly plan for exercise.

lfp2n
01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Ive done it last year and lost weight. I'm about to join again and our Governor just announced that the state would refund 50% of the cost of WW to state employees as part of Healthy Virginians programme, I also know that some health insurances will kick in a little bit as part of keeping healthy programs, so it might be worth looking into things like that.

HIH

Lucy

lizajane
01-12-2008, 04:53 PM
because it works.

but if the expense is not appropriate for your family, you can do it without the meetings and online tools. dottie's weight loss zone (www.dwlz.com (http://www.dwlz.com)) lists all the points for just about anything you can think of. and you can also find the points value guidelines online, too, i think. or you can ask someone who is doing it.

i am NOT saying it is a good idea to "cheat" and "steal" from them. but the info is out there on the web if you really want it and can't pay for it. i think that if your health is in question, you just do what you have to do.

however, if you can afford it, just find it to be overpriced, i highly recommend you buy the monthly pass and then work like crazy to become a lifetime member so you can go for free forever.

StantonHyde
01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
When Consumer REports rated the top diet programs, Weight Watchers was #2 (some book was #1). It totally works. Several MDs I know will tell you it is the only diet they will endorse becuase it is a life style and it is sensible. THe meetings are totally key.'

You don't lose weight just by exercising, you have to diet too. (I HATE that part :-))

You are absolutely right about providing a role model for your kids--it is truly key. Not to mention that you want to be able to run around with them and be healthy with them.

That said, I hate struggling with these last 10 pounds and may just decide that at 42 (& 2 kids later) I am not going to weigh what I did at 32 and just deal with it. I can run 4 miles with no problem and will work up to 6 by April so I can go on a week long backpacking trip. That may just have to do!!

THere are lots of people in my group who are where you are and they inspire me. (I go to an atwork meeting which is small and very supportive) Pick up last week's People magazine on people who lost half their size--talk about humbling and "you have no excuses". That was a good kick in my chubby rear :-)

elizabethkott
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Another great WW friendly site is Hungry Girl. You can subscribe for the daily emails, and there's always tons of recipies and swaps that are really good.
:)

katydid1971
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I have to agree that the program works. I did it before my wedding and lost weight. I didn't like the meetings though. I have continued to use the points and the materials they provided me (9 years ago) when I want to lose weight. It don't think its stealing because I paid for them once upon a time and took their lessons and continued to use them. If you need the motivation the meetings are good albet annoying.