PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch The Medicated Child?

casey0729
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
This was on this past week on Frontline on PBS. My DH and I had to stop watching, we were so p*ssed off. I sincerely hope my family is never faced with this problem.

Here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

katydid1971
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I watched it. Why were you angry? I'm glad I watched it because I think I am a more informed parent after seeing it. I agree I hope I never have to deal with those problems.

caleymama
01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
I have it on my Tivo but haven't watched it yet.

casey0729
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I was angry at the quickness with which unqualified professionals were diagnosing and putting kids on adult drugs without knowing the effects on children. And the fact it took until 1997 for tests to be done on the effects of the drugs on children. That one child who was taking what, 5 different medications under the age of 8 was just sad.

I understand that being informed is a good thing. And we are. Like I said, I hope it never happens to me. I don't want my child used as a guinea pig.

cchavez
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I watched it. It is heartbreaking....I have a child w/ sensory/behavior issues and I cannot imagine medicating. We are trying so many therapies and thankfully his response to treatment is great but I have a friend that medicates her child w/ some of the drugs mentioned and I feel so sad/angry about this....To them it is their miracle drug but what about side effects esp. long term....he was only 4 when they started medicating and we will be 5 in march

StantonHyde
01-12-2008, 04:18 PM
The bottom line is that meds have a place for some children BUT they should be prescribed ONLY by an experienced child psychiatrist--not a family practice doc. I work in mental health and there are kids who need/benefit from medications and it is good we have them. But I am truly amazed at what a difference it makes in so many kids we see in our programs when they are placed in a structured day treatment program and the family undergoes counseling.