PDA

View Full Version : q's: melamine and thermos straw cup

cchavez
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
It is ok for my kids to use melamine plates? DS drinks out of a glass cup but we use melamine plates? Also, both kids have the thermos straw cup but my son's cup is starting to leak...we have only had it a few months. What do I do? Contact Thermos?

sarahbrown29
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I am concerned about BPA and have been going through all of my plastic-wear. I contacted Crocodile Creek (they have new plates in PBK) about BPA and they sent me this:

"The use of melamine as tableware is fully approved by the US Food & Drug Administration. Melamine is considered a safe product and has been used for more than four decades. Our melamine is BPA-free and conforms to both US and European safety standards."

:yay:

Melanie
04-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Does that mean that some melamine has BPA?

lowrioh
04-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Melamine resin which is what the dinnerware is made from should not contain any BPA since BPA isn't used in the manufacturing process.
The recent issues in the media about melamine was with the monomer. It was not connected to dinnerware at all. In that case, there was whey protein imported from China that had be contaminated with melamine and 2 similar chemicals. That protein powder was then used in pet food that made many animals very sick (some died). The pet food was recalled and there was no evidence that any of the contaminated powder was used in human food or in livestock feed.

o_mom
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
The concern with melamine has been that the formaldahyde used in making it could theoretically leach into food, especially when heated. Melamine is not microwave safe, and I can tell you from experience that it is very easy to burn melamine in the microwave.

Call Thermos about the cups.