PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for eliminating urine smell from upholstery?

joyful mommy
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
DC must have had an accident on one of the upholstered chairs in our living room when I wasn't aware. I'm very aware now! The smell is too much. I don't see a stain, or feel dampness but the smell has been there for a couple of days and isn't getting any better.

Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions as to what to do? Do I just need to call an upholstery/rug cleaning place? My rugs could probably use a good cleaning about now too. Home remedies would be welcome though!

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Piglet
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I think there are lots of products in pet stores for getting rid of urine odors. Sorry I can't be of more help.

trentsmom
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
If the fabric could handle it, I would soak it with Nature's Miracle or something similar. If that doesn't work, I'd call someone in to clean the chair. Good luck!

Marisa6826
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Nature's Miracle. For both the rug and the upholstery. You can get it at any pet store. We buy it by the gallon. :)

-m

joyful mommy
01-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thank you all.

I'll head to PetSmart for Nature's Miracle tomorrow.

happy2bamom
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
If that doesn't work, I would try your vets office for the clinical strength stuff. I can't remember the name, it is something like "Urine be gone" or "Urine off". It is more expensive than the stuff in the pet store, but worked much better for us.

vludmilla
01-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I recommend Nature's Miracle too. Odd as this sounds, if you can remove the cushion from the chair (assuming that is where the smell is emanating from), then you can put the cushion outside in a large bag when the temperatures are freezing cold. Somehow the cold, in combination with the cleaning solution helped remove the smell. We got rid of an sour milk smell in our couch cushions with this method.