PDA

View Full Version : Graco Nautilus

jerigirl
01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a friend/acquaintance that is trying to figure out a new car seat plan. Her 6 mo DC#2 is about to outgrow the infant seat. She is considering putting the baby in DC#1's Cosco Alpha Omega and then getting #1 another seat. (#1 is 25 months old, FF in the Cosco. Unfortunately I don't know height/weight.) Their budget is tight so she mentioned checking Craigslist for a seat. I really tried to discourage her from doing that. My question is would the new Graco Nautilus be a good suggestion for new seat for DC#1? Especially if it could be the only other seat he would need?

Also a separate question regarding the seat. In reading the description of the seat on the Graco website- If you can use the harness up to 65 lb, why would someone want to use the highbacked (or backless, for that matter) booster at a weight below that? The description says highback is 30-100 lb. With that you are just using the regular seatbelt, right? Sorry if I sound silly, my 19 mo DS is still RF in his FPSVD and I haven't really studied anything else past that yet. TIA!

jeri

o_mom
01-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I think 30 lbs is low for using the booster, but it sells seats, I guess. If the child outgrows the harness before 65 lbs, then they could use it as a booster, but I would guess most kids will get to 40-50 lbs before they are too tall for the harness.

If she is not willing to RF the 2yo or he/she is too big to RF, thenI think this would be a good seat for her as far a value. Just remember that it has a 6 yr expiration (closer to 7 if you can find one made in 2008 since all Gracos expire in December).

If the $150 price is too much for her now, she can get a Scenera for $40 at Walmart and save up for this in a year or so when the older one is closer to outgrowing the AO.

jerigirl
01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will tell her to keep a look out for the Nautilus. I will suggest the Scenera as well JIC she can't wait for the Nautilus or can't spend $150 right now.

Jeri

JBaxter
01-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I dont think the nautilus can be rear facing.

o_mom
01-12-2008, 08:42 AM
The Nautilus would be for the older child (2 yo).

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Here is some good info on 5 pt harness vs booster seat:

This is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

Safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body
over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts
of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is
thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather
than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines.

Here is good site on info about using a booster seat:

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Another good link:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/BoosterShop.aspx

ellies mom
01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Also a separate question regarding the seat. In reading the description of the seat on the Graco website- If you can use the harness up to 65 lb, why would someone want to use the highbacked (or backless, for that matter) booster at a weight below that? The description says highback is 30-100 lb. With that you are just using the regular seatbelt, right? Sorry if I sound silly, my 19 mo DS is still RF in his FPSVD and I haven't really studied anything else past that yet. TIA!

jeri

Usually, children out grow the height before they outgrow the weight. So while I kid could be in the 5-point harness until they weigh 65 pounds most likely they won't be.