PDA

View Full Version : Post your kitchen crimes here!

tiapam
01-12-2008, 12:55 AM
What is the point of "soaking" a pot if you have no intention of ever coming back to wash it? I am tired of finding them in the sink, thus making it very unusable for other things.

kijip
01-12-2008, 12:59 AM
my compost bowl for food scraps is way too small and so I am constantly dealing with a carefully balanced tower of apple cores, leek tops, potato skins, broccoli stalks, orange peels at the end of the day. We do manage to take it outside. But that is only because it is teetering on the counter. If it was under the sink or covered in any way, I am sure we would not take it out till something smelled off. Ick. :)

elizabethkott
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a very bad habit of letting the recycling pile up on the counter. I should really take the job of bringing it all outside back from DH, but come on. The man has to do *something* in the kitchen to help me out, for crying out loud!

LarsMal
01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
My idea of a "clean" kitchen these days is a quick wipe down with a Clorox wipe. I can't tell you the last time I actually picked stuff up off the counter tops give it a good, thourough cleaning.

Oh well, at least the parts we touch on a regular basis are somewhat clean!

Oh, yeah, and mopping the kitchen floor- what's that?!?! I didn't realized how much I love our dog's crumb cleaning abilities until she spent a few weeks over the holidays with my parents. Good stupid dog!

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2008, 03:05 PM
What is the point of "soaking" a pot if you have no intention of ever coming back to wash it? I am tired of finding them in the sink, thus making it very unusable for other things.

Guilty! I soak them because I want to loosen the stuff and up the odds that it will come clean in the dishwasher. Though, I admit that if I am taking the time to fill it with hot, soapy water maybe I should just wash it there and then, huh? :)

I bag the trash and put the bag around the corner from the kitchen rather than take it outside to the garbage can. The garbage can is at the end of the driveway and with the car in the driveway it is pitb to get to it.

Right now in my fridge there are 5 containers of nasty leftovers that I have no intention of getting rid of now because the scare me. Dh will eventually get sick of them and do it.

Beth

tiapam
01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
It's very noble of all of you to fess up, but I was referring to other people's (um, DH's) transgressions. I, of course, never commit heinous acts in the kitchen. :)

rachelh
01-13-2008, 02:19 AM
My friends always look at my confused when they see me doing this...

When I have guests over for lunch/dinner, you can see me hiding dirty dishes and pots in the oven. I just dont want my sink overflowing with them when people are around.

gatorsmom
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
ok, I'll play. MY transgression is that it doesn't bother me AT ALL to leave dirty dishes in the sink all day long. Of course, I hate when guests see them. Thus, I hate drop in guests. I leave them there because I know my husband hates to see them and will wash them for me. ;)

My husband has the annoying habit of taking a piece of candy out of a wrapper and throw the wrapper on the counter or the floor. Even if the garbage is right next to heim he'll do this. It drives me nuts!!! no exageration, he never throws his candy wrappers away.

elizabethkott
01-13-2008, 11:39 PM
My DH NEVER puts his dishes in the dishwasher. It drives me CRAZY!!! I've started asking him if the dishwaser is broken... he gets very confused. :)

Britt
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Leaving all the dishes out to air dry. They only end up sitting in their own water:P

C99
01-14-2008, 01:47 AM
I'd just like to know why DH can manage (sometimes) bring his dishes into the kitchen from his office or the living room only to leave them on the countertop *above* the dishwasher. Does the dishwasher some kind of man-repelling forcef field around it?!?

And would it kill him to use a sponge to wipe up his coffee/jam/pizza sauce spills off the counter after making himself a snack?

JoyNChrist
01-14-2008, 03:10 AM
I swear, our cabinets and drawers must not close for anyone but me. Seriously. DH NEVER (as in never ever once since we've lived together) closes cabinet doors.

kijip
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
It's very noble of all of you to fess up, but I was referring to other people's (um, DH's) transgressions. I, of course, never commit heinous acts in the kitchen. :)

WELL! In THAT case:

Do not put the crock pot of the crockpot in the fridge as storage. I hate the odor and besides what if I actually want to use that crockpot again the next morning? We have food storage containers COMING OUT OF OUR EARS. Use them. Use them. Use them.

Label whatever it is that you are putting in the freezer with the contents and date, dude. Unless you want me to literally serve a surprise for dinner.

mezzona
01-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I leave evening pots in the sink to soak. Didn't think that was a kitchen crime..

I don't mop the kitchen floors.. helps that my dog is a vacuum cleaner.

My husband also NEVER closes cabinet doors. I don't know how he's not managed to get hit in the head.

TahliasMom
01-16-2008, 03:29 AM
my dirty pots never make it from the stove to the kitchen sink why bother, they only take up valuable space

- counters? what counters? (ok i have a tiny kitchen and no pantry, hence my counters are my pantry :) )

- floor. hmm. does sweeping crumbs with my foot in the corner count? occasionally a wipe will fall down on the floor and I'll use my foot to swish it around

- i try to keep the dishes to minimum in the sink but it's hard. we seem to go thru glasses, bowls and utensils faster than dishes. the dishwasher top tray fills up fast and we run out of room, which causes the sink to overfill very fast. but i hate running a half full dishwasher so at times I will wait until we accumulate more stuff for the bottom. by then the sink is overflowing with glasses, bowls and we're out of utensils. (to solve that issue i went and bought another 4 piece setting...)

rebeccaravit
01-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Must be a man thing. I've often wondered if my husband suffered from some sort of rare disability that affected his ability to close closets, cabinets and drawers. I can't tell you how many times I've almost broken my nose in the middle of the night on the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I can say however, that he does remember to put the toilet seat down. Now we are working on the closets. Baby steps......

chinook
01-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Oooooh I have to post.....must vent....

I look forward to the day when DH finally understands that emptying the dishwasher actually requires that you PUT THE FREAKING DISHES INTO THE CUPBOARDS INSTEAD OF LEAVING THEM ON THE COUNTER!!!!

He does this most frequently with tupperware, saying that he's just "leaving it to dry". Riiiiiiiiight....that cloth?.....the one hanging on the oven door?......that's custom built for drying things.....

Don't get me wrong, generally he's a great guy, but this is one of those things that makes me mental. "I'm leaving this to soak" is another :)

JTsMom
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
DH will, on occassion, do the dinner dishes. A few hours later, when I good and relaxed, I'll walk in to find he didn't wipe off the counters and left food in the sink. WTH?!? Does he just not see it? Is he thinking that it will be fresher in the morning?

Or...

Sometimes he will wash food down the drain, but not run the disposal.

Another favorite is when he washes everything except my coffeepot. Cuz, you know, if he's not going to need it in the morning, why wash it?