PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for C section birth plan

american_mama
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
There have been so many C section threads this week I thought maybe now would be a good time to ask. I really liked SnuggleBuggles idea of doing some planning about the scenarios you hope DON'T happen in labor, like a C section, and I want to do this before baby #3 arrives.

For those who had c sections, what suggestions do you have about planning for an unplanned C section? What questions should I ask in advance? What elements would make the C section a better experience? I'd like suggestions about any of these steps or others: the decision-making and wait beforehand, the actual procedure, and the recovery.

I think the most likely scenario that would result in a c section for me is the failure to progress c section, so I am especially interested in any suggestions about how to improve that possible experience.

The thoughts I have right now are:
1. Who can be in the OR with me (my midwife, DH, my sister?)
2. Can they take photos?
3. What is the procedure after the c section for treating the baby, letting me hold him or her, and nursing? I will want to nurse as soon as I feel ready.
4. I want my husband to stay with the baby as much as possible while I recover.
5. I will ask them to prick me in the area where I am supposed to be numb so that I know I actually am numb. Whenever I have received novacaine or the like for stitches, oral surgery etc, I have always been terrified that they'll start cutting before the medication has taken affect, so I want to ask for the proof for my own peace of mind.
6. What kind of suturing does the physician do and how does he decide? (double layer may be safer than the increasingly common single layer, see http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1121760_
7. I might have a pre-selected affirmation for my husband, or perhaps the anesthesiologist, to read quietly to me before the surgery begins. This is not at all my style, but I read in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" that it can facilitate healing after surgery and, hey, it can't hurt to try.
8. Is the surgeon willing to talk with me a few weeks afterwards if I have questions about my case?

If I was having a scheduled C section, I would ask if my selection of music could be played in the OR, or at least at the beginning of the surgery.

More ideas?

ellies mom
01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
What really helped me with my section was being able to keep DD with us throughout recovery. DH held her at my side while they were stitching me up and then we are all together in the recovery room. The recovery nurse even helped us get started nursing. DH went with DD to do all the nursery stuff while I was being taken to the room and from that point on DD was with us the entire stay except for the hearing test which DH took her to.

I would ask that they put the catheter in after they give you the anesthesia. There is no real point in having to feel that.

Some of your questions should be answered in the information the hospital gives you (who can come into the ER, can you take photos etc) Some you could ask about ahead of time and may just be standard procedure (what type of suturing and how do you know I'm numb) and some you can ask at the time (music selection, affirmation, etc)

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2008, 02:13 PM
When I was writing my birth plans I asked on here and other boards for advice from btdt moms. There were so many things I hadn't thought of. This is my plan:
As much as possible my husband and I would like to be involved in the birth. I have fears over IVs and surgery so if at all possible I would like someone to stay with me as I am being prepped for surgery (CNM or husband). I have never had surgery before.

I know that different surgeons have certain routine procedures. I am not sure if these requests are normal or not but as much as possible I would like them to be considered.

Please discuss with me ahead of time the post operative pain relief options and their potential side effects. I would like to be involved in choosing the medication that is the best fit for me. If there is no time for this discussion I have listed preferences below.

Ideally I would prefer to have the c-section scheduled after the onset of labor so baby benefits from the contractions. If that is not possible then I would like to schedule as close to my EDD as possible.

*I would like my husband to announce the sex of the baby.*
Prior to Surgery:

-I would like EMLA cream before the IV is inserted. Ideally I would like my IV to be placed in my left forearm. Both are for the sake of convenience and comfort.
-I wish to be able to wear a gown or be covered as much as possible.
-I would prefer an epidural or a spinal, at the discretion of the anesthesiologist and my birth team, as opposed to GA..
-Please insert the urinary catheter after anesthesia is functioning..

Surgery:
-Since it is possible that I will want more children vaginally I would prefer a low, transverse incision.
-I might want to hear about or see the birth rather than general distracting talk. But, I am not sure. Please ask me during the surgery so I can decide.
-I would prefer to have my arms free. Perhaps someone can hold my hands instead.
-I would strongly prefer dissolvable stitches and steri-strips as opposed to staples.
-Please use double stitching to close the uterus.
-Unless deemed appropriate I would prefer not to have a sedative after the baby is born.

After the Surgery:
-If I have an epidural I would like Duramorph added at the end.
-Please do not clean off the baby before letting me see the baby. I would like to bathe the baby with my husband at a later time. I would like every opportunity to hold and touch the baby following the birth if all is well. Non separation is my ideal and routine procedures be delayed. If baby needs extra attention I want my husband to stay with the baby at all times. I would like to begin breastfeeding as soon as possible.
-To aid recovery I hope to be encouraged to walk around as soon as possible as well as resume some form of diet.
-Also for pain relief I would be interested in patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) rather than IV narcotics so I can stay more alert.

**If it is an emergency c-section I understand that some of these will not be options. The health and safety of baby and myself are of utmost importance.**

Thank you so much for helping us bring our daughter or son safely into the world

Reasons for some of my requests:
Now, the bath preference serves another purpose besides bonding. I have heard that the bath can lower baby's temp so they are more likely to want to have the baby in the nursery.

I had never heard of them doing a sedative after the baby is out so that was one I needed to consider.

I still don't know about post op pain control. I have heard the Duramorph makes you itchy (I think that is the one that causes that side effect?).

The catheter after the anesthesia is almost always SOP but that's not a guarantee so worth requesting.

My dh has been through chemo and says that the arm is far more comfortable for an IV than a hand.

Enough people talked about hating their staples that I put in the bit about stitches and steri strips.

HTH a bit. Obviously I haven't btdt but I spent quite a while researching it. :)

Oh, and I was interested in how you became involved in childbirth since you mentioned in the thread about "The Business of Being Born" that you attended those talks. Are you in that field?

Beth

Beth

KrisM
01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm working on my cesarean specific birth plan for #3 already.

Things I am including:
- both arms free. This was done with DD and it was not an issue.
- I want to hold/touch the baby immediately, even if it's just for 1 minute, before anything else.
- I don't want the baby cleaned off and wrapped when I get him/her.
- I want to hold the baby immediately with skin-to-skin contact
- I'd like the procedure to be referred to as a cesarean birth, rather than it's surgical name.
- I don't want a screen up, as I'd like to watch the entire thing (watched DD in the reflection of a light)
- I want to know what's going on and don't want chatter instead.
- DH wants to cut the cord.
- I do not want my diet limited (was with DS and I felt awful, was not with DD and I ate normally and recovered and felt so much better)
- I want the IV and catheter out as soon as possible.
- I do not want PCA or IV meds - I want pill form.

I've had a c-birth at this hospital before and I know some of the policies. I was able to breastfeed within about an hour while we were in recovery. The baby never left me in recovery. They do anything they need to right there.

All of this assumes things are going normally, of course.

Some of the things I'm considering are from these sites:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/family/story/0,,1656246,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7154594.stm
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/deliver-your-own--by-caesarean/2007/04/14/1175971419538.html

It's not for everyone, of course, but the more natural way sounds fabulous to me!

KrisM
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
My dh has been through chemo and says that the arm is far more comfortable for an IV than a hand.

This is interesting. I've only had them in my hand before. I would think that having it in your arm would make it tough to hold the baby afterwards. With it in my hand, I had full range of motion, just tubing to watch out for. Do you know if it would be limiting with it in your arm? I guess I'm assuming by arm you mean elbow, like for donating blood.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
This is interesting. I've only had them in my hand before. I would think that having it in your arm would make it tough to hold the baby afterwards. With it in my hand, I had full range of motion, just tubing to watch out for. Do you know if it would be limiting with it in your arm? I guess I'm assuming by arm you mean elbow, like for donating blood.

Not the elbow. One place is right at the wrist on the thumb side is. The other is really right on top of the fore arm. Elbow is annoying, according to dh, but there isn't a lot of feeling there. He thinks the hand is most in the way.

Beth

ellies mom
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Not the elbow. One place is right at the wrist on the thumb side is. The other is really right on top of the fore arm. Elbow is annoying, according to dh, but there isn't a lot of feeling there. He thinks the hand is most in the way.

Beth
I agree. This is a really good spot. I actually have my blood drawn from there too because I don't get the bruising and pain that I get at the elbow.

o_mom
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Beth

I'm a hard stick for IVs and I will say that forearm - either above the wrist or top of the arm is the best. I would have to put hand as second best because if it's in the elbow (like a blood draw) you can't bend your arm and many times they will put a splint on to keep you from bending it. When you are trying to hold and nurse a newborn it is very hard without bending your arm. The hand was a pain if I tried to use it to hold my weight while turning over or shifting position in labor (with DS1), but not bad at all after labor for holding or nursing (with DS3 I didn't have IV until afterwards due to PPH).

KrisM
01-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Beth

Thanks for clarifying for me. I will have to look into this and figure out what I think would be good for me. The back of the hand was a bit annoying for moving myself around, so if I could avoid that, I will!

egoldber
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Its important to realize that most things about the OR are controlled by the anesthesiologist and hospital policy NOT your OB. So getting "permission" involves talking to people at the hospital.

The other person who can help you get your wishes met is the OB surgical charge nurse. She's the head nurse for the OB OR and she can also help you get your wishes met. She's the one to talk to about the baby staying with you while you go to recovery, not getting a bath, no bottles/pacis, etc.

Just a few comments on some things Beth had in her plan.

Different people respond to pain meds differently. Duramorph (a long acting bolus of morphine given via the spinal/epidural before its removed) makes me itch so badly I scratch myself raw and bleed. The first time I knew this was the epidural with Sarah. They gave me Benadryl to stop the itching, but as it happens I am also hyper sensitive to Benadryl (I didn't know that was what they were giving me) and I spent much of my first night with her drugged out with the Benadryl.

With Amy I talked AT LENGTH with the anesthesiologist before the surgery and they recommended a low dose Duramorph using Nubain instead of Benadryl if I still had itching. I did have itching and I did need the Nubain which worked pretty well although it made me slightly light headed.

Also many hospitals routinely give mom a sedative and/or an anti-anxiety med in the IV after the baby is delivered while they are sewing her up. This is the longer, more tedious part of the surgery after the baby is out and can take anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes depending on the surgeon and how your body responds to the surgery. With Sarah I didn't know they were doing this and I was really out of it during the remainder of the surgery. I HATED this. With Amy I specifically requested that I wanted to "aware and alert". I must have said this 20 times LOL!

Also, during the surgery it is not uncommon for your blood pressure to drop and/or to experience nausea. They will give meds to counteract the nausea and blood pressure, but some meds can cause drowsiness. Again, I specifically requested that they use non-drowsy anti-nausea meds. The anesthesiologist was great about respecting my wishes, but the sad part is if you don't know about these things you may get a LOT of meds you don't realize you are getting.

bubbaray
01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Its important to realize that most things about the OR are controlled by the anesthesiologist and hospital policy NOT your OB. So getting "permission" involves talking to people at the hospital.

The other person who can help you get your wishes met is the OB surgical charge nurse. She's the head nurse for the OB OR and she can also help you get your wishes met.

ITA with this.... Making friends with the anesthetist and OR nurses makes a huge difference IME.

My BP tanked after my spinal with DD#2, just as they started cutting. OMG, I have never felt so sick. I have no idea what the anesthetist gave me, but it acted almost instantly. I wasn't out of it at all after that. With DD#1, I was hysterical (from fatigue, the failed trial of forceps and fact that I was having an emergency c/s after pushing for 2 hrs) and my BP tanked in recovery (and freaked out the anesthetist, who gave me something in my IV and pushed it).

I *wish* they had given me something after the birth of DD#2 while they were sewing me up. My OB for that c/s is a huge guy (like 6'4", 250lbs) and I swear, he was standing on my abdomen! I figured I was SOL in terms of pain relief, other than getting general at that point (I had a spinal, so there is no catheter by which they can give you more meds), so I didn't say anything. I had to really focus to keep ahead of the pain, but it was only for 10 minutes or so.

These are my random musings on c/s (I now live in Canada, so many of these things are standard here). My 1st c/s was an emergency one after a trial of forceps, done by the OB on call (during shift change, ugh). My 2nd c/s was scheduled and done by the head of obstetrics at my hospital.

Pre-op:
Prior to both my c/s, I had IVs in the mid-forearm of my non-dominant arm (at my request). I asked for paper tape as I'm allergic to adhesive in regular surgical tape.

If you get a good nurse doing the IV, you don't need EMLA -- its virtually painless. If you have to go for pre-op blood work, get it done in the opposite arm, just in case you have a problem (I did, ended up with a massive bruise in my elbow).

I had a spinal with #2 and if you have a choice between a spinal and epidural, I'd definitely vote spinal. That's the standard here for scheduled c/s.

I asked for the urinary catheter to be inserted after the spinal with #2 and my OB and peri both laughed -- they said it would be cruel to put it in before the anesthetic....

**With #2, IV antibiotics were administered at least 15 minutes prior to the surgery. This was cruicial for me as I had a post-op infection with #1. Its the required standard of care for c/s at my hospital now (with #1 it was up to the OB and the OB on call d/n do it with me).

During surgery:
Transverse incision is standard here unless there are medical reasons requiring a vertical incision (emergency, high order multiples).

With #2, my OB didn't do a shave prep. I had it with #1 with a different OB. At my hospital, it is up to the OB.

Ensure that IV antibiotics on board prior to incision (see above). I asked about 20 times to make sure that it happened with #2. It was all over my chart and EVERYONE on the floor my whole stay knew that I had had a nasty post-op wound infection with #1.

I asked for my arms to be free with #2 -- I didn't like having them strapped down with #1 (though I was so out of it with fatigue it d/n really matter)

Given my history with post-op infection, I left the decision on staples/sutures/dissolvable sutures up to my OB with #2. He went with staples and steri strips. I also had stapes with #1, but no steri strips. Dissolvable sutures aren't popular with OBs here for the external incision. They are, of course, used for the 2 other layers of internal sutures.

A screen was used for both births. I'm rather thankful for it. ;)

Both times, the peds team did their usual "work" on the baby right in the OR (off in a corner where the warmer, scale etc is set up). I had both girls at a large birthing hospital and the ORs are dedicated for c/s and forcep deliveries, so the peds equipment is in the OR, not in another room. DH was with both girls from a couple of minutes post-delivery during all the procedures (weighing, warming, swaddling).

Post op
I BFd both girls in recovery, probably within the hour after birth. Both times, the nurses held the baby to my breast while I was still lying prone.

First bath was done later in the day with both (in my room). All other procedures (weighing, temps, blood draws) were also done on the baby in my room. The NICU at my hospital is only for sick babies, there is no nursery in a traditional sense, rooming in is mandatory for healthy babies, regardless of whether mom has a c/s or not.

I had IV morphine both times and it made me itchy with #2. The anesthetist had ordered IV benadryl if that happened and within 5 min of getting it, I had no itching.

I had my IV removed after the 1st bag (ringers?).

Catheter came out about 12 hours post-op.

I was walking as soon as the epi (#1) and spinal (#2) wore off, about 6 hours post-op. I was able to walk (gingerly) with the IV and catheter in. In fact, the nurses encouraged me to try to walk a few steps as soon as the spinal/epi wore off.

Pain control was regular strength tylenol (every 3 hours) and advil (every 6 hours) for a week post-op. I didn't need more.

I was on a liquid diet for 2 days post-op, but added kiwi juice and kiwi fruit -- highly recommend them for a natural alternative to Colace. I wasn't allowed solids until I pooped and I was soooooo freakin' hungry it wasn't funny. I had DH sneak in kiwi on day 2. He brought me kiwi juice the first day.

egoldber
01-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I had a spinal, so there is no catheter by which they can give you more meds

Just FYI, they can give you pain meds in your IV also.

I forgot and wanted to mention that with my first section I had to poop or pass gas to get solid food. With my other two sections I was allowed to resume a normal diet as soon as I had my catheter removed, which in both cases was within about 6 hours after the surgery. That made a HUGE difference to me psychologically.

Hospital policy may be to not give food post-op, but your OB CAN give written instructions to allow food. Just remind the nurses because they may "forget", especially if its at an inconvenient time of day and a liquid diet tray has already been ordered for you. And in most hospitals you can call down to the kitchen and request a different tray if its too late to order one. I learned this the second time also.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Something to add that can help with recovery is to chew gum. It gets the digestive juices flowing which gets the digestive system going. It's supposed to help you pass the gas sooner.

Beth

lizajane
01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
are you going to MJH or UVA? my sister had an unplanned non emergency c/s after failure to progress at MJH. her DH took pictures, so i can answer that one for you!!

one warning- my sister vomited throughout the c/s and has nightmares about it. you may want to review the anti nausea options, as PP mentioned. the good news is that the anestheologist (OMG, SP?? whatever... too hard to spell when tired) was her best pal and really took care of her.

and i also know her DH followed the baby out. he is in all the bath, etc, pics that the grands took through the nursery window. (they didn't ask for no bath, etc.)

also, the OB said she could labor more. but with my nephew's position, it really just wasn't going to happen. but the dr was very considerate.

bubbaray
01-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Just FYI, they can give you pain meds in your IV also.

Yeah, this wasn't the kind of pain that morphine was gonna touch, KWIM? I dunno, maybe there is an anesthetic that goes in the IV, but the anesthetist didn't offer it. He knew I was in pain at that point, but asked me if I could get through it. I went to my *happy place*.... I still think my OB stood on me to get my innerds back to where they are supposed to be!

bisous
01-13-2008, 02:30 AM
lhis is a super informative thread! I just wanted to put in another plug for using Nubain to relief the itching from the Duramorph. Nubain worked great for me and the combination of pain meds and itching relief made for a very comfortable stay at the hospital this last time around. :)

kellij
01-13-2008, 03:22 AM
I think the best thing for you to do is talk to the people at the hospital and have them walk you through what happens in case of a c-birth. Also, ask your dr. what you can do as far as pics go.

My dr. let us take pictures, she also let my mom film (not the actual cutting or anything, but she could have the camera on). My mom and husband were both with me. It didn't even occur to me to have her there the first time, I just assumed only my husband could be there. I think they were okay with letting whomever in that I wanted in. They do all the stuff that needs to be done immediately with the baby, make sure breathing is okay, etc., and then showed me the baby, then they took them off to the nursery and the husband is required to go along. They said that they need to get the baby out of there asap because they keep the surgery rooms really cold. Then they clean them up and the dad helps with the first bath, which is great for bonding, and as soon as all of that is done they bring the baby to my room and I could try to nurse. With my second it took a little longer because her temp dropped and they were warming her back up. I thought that was kind of stressful, but I don't know how you could change it.

I had a iv in my wrist. It ripped out in the middle of the night while trying to nurse. Blood went everywhere, they had to change the sheet. That ended up being the most painful aspect of the entire event.

Also, I had an epidural the first time and I could feel pressure and things going on, which was weird. Then the second time I had a spinal and I couldn't feel my lungs so I felt like I was suffocating. I thought it was horrifying. My husband started rubbing my forehead and that made me calm down a lot and feel better.

My dr. has me do a post-op visit. I think it was a week later, to see how things are healing. Again, it's just something I would check on.

The anethesiologist was at my head the whole time and I had them tell me what was going on in the procedure. The other two surgeons are behind the curtain working on things. I also threw up with #1 as they were sewing me up and I didn't even really get to see my son before they took him out, I couldn't stop vomiting. With #2 I kept telling the dr. that and he did a great job regulating my medicine. If you start getting sick they have a medicine they can put in there to make you stop. That being said, I was feeling great a few hours later and decided I should have soup. Definitely was not ready for that, and long story short DH ended up with vomit in his eye. Ah, bonding. So my advice would be wait to eat!

Congrats on your baby!!

tnrnchick74
01-13-2008, 09:49 AM
At the hospital I work at, the "normal" way things go for a c-section (scheduled or not) is:

1 - 1 support person with you during the procedure (they don't care who it is)

2 - no filming in the OR but you can take pics of the baby after birth or of Mom from face up

3 - Cath is placed after epidural

4 - Curtain stays up but you can request a mirror be placed above your head so you can see

5 - Once baby is out, its handed to the NICU staff for immediate care IN the OR. Baby is dried, stimulated, suctioned mouth out and anything else baby needs to get started breathing after birth. Baby MUST stay there until 5 minute APGAR is assigned, but is usually there for 20 minutes or so. Mom 7 Dad are given a chance to hold and bond as soon as feasible and baby is breathing well. Then baby goes to the transition nursery on the floor you will be recovering on. Daddy (or other support person) goes with and is allowed to stay there until Mom & baby are reunited. Usually by the time Mom is in recovery and being taken to her post-partum room, baby is cleared to go to the room with her to finish transitioning. Occassionally either Mom gets there faster or baby is having a few minor issues and baby must stay in transition until cleared. The goal is to reunite Mommy & baby asap. Bath's can be requested to be delayed.

daniele_ut
01-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, this wasn't the kind of pain that morphine was gonna touch, KWIM? I dunno, maybe there is an anesthetic that goes in the IV, but the anesthetist didn't offer it. He knew I was in pain at that point, but asked me if I could get through it. I went to my *happy place*.... I still think my OB stood on me to get my innerds back to where they are supposed to be!

There are lots of options besides morphine. Don't be afraid to tell them you are in pain. With DS I had a spinal and felt numb at first, but I can be heard on the video telling the doc I could feel what they were doing ( I don't remember it), so the anesthesiologist gave me in my IV. It made me feel like I was separated from my body and scared me - he said a small percentage of patients have that reaction and they usually give it with Versed to counteract that, but they didn't want to give me the Versed until the cord was cut because it could depress baby's heartrate. Once they gave me the Versed I was fine, but they likely won't give me again because the reaction was scary to me. It's a dissociative , not necessarily a painkiller, so it just makes you not realize you are in pain.

Thanks for the tip, Beth, about talking to the charge nurse. I just found out last week that it is routine for them to take the baby to the nursery while the mother is in recovery ( for 2 hours!) and I am not ok with that. I delivered at a different hospital the last 2 times, but both times there were mitigating circumstances and the baby went to the NICU. My doc was just named department head and when I discussed it with him he said it was at the top of his list of things that need to be changed, but I doubt that will happen in the next 3 weeks.

erosenst
01-13-2008, 02:17 PM
NOT to scare anyone...just to highlight the point some PP's have made that their birth plan is in place "assuming everything goes as planned".

I had a planned (mostly - long story that's not relevant here) c-section with an epidural. Interestingly, the hospital's procedure was NOT to wait to put the cath in until the anesthesia took effect, but I was able (with my OB"s help) to get Nurse Brunhilda (the only bad nurse I had during the whole thing) to wait. Glad I asked.

But I had a weird reaction to the epidural. I knew almost right away that I was dopey. I told the OB and DH to wake me if I fell asleep; both laughed and said I'd be able to stay awake. Nope. I must have been in a very light sleep, as I do remember Abby being lifted out of my stomach, but nothing else - not the catheter, incision, the stitching, etc.

I was dopey for a couple of hours afterwards, and couldn't use my arms. (They intentionally blocked a little high because I had an anterior placenta. However, possibly because of problems inserting the epidural, it went really high.) When I was able to focus (only on and off for quite a while) I was somewhat stressed about not being able to hold/nurse Abby in the first hour. Turned out I didn't need to worry - when I was able to nurse 3 hours later (still lying down, but with help from the nurse and my mom) she latched like a pro.

I'm one of those that prefers to know things might not go according to plan, but will still be ok...wish I hadn't stressed quite so much.

Emily

psophia17
01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
The important things for me were to have control over my pain meds - I had a terrible spinal for DS1, so I wanted an epidural for DS2, which I got.

I knew well in advance that hospital policy for DS2 was that he would never leave my side unless it was emergent, but I would've fought for keeping him at my side if it wasn't policy, so that belongs in the birth plan as well.

Food was also key - I had to fast for 12 hours before DS1's birth, and then was on a liquid diet for 4 days...I was STARVING. With DS2, I had nutritious snacks (oatmeal cookies) up until the oxytocin drip, and was allowed to eat immediately afterwards. I felt so much better!

While in labour, my assigned nurse and I had a chat about birth plans, and she said that it was more memorable when there was a simple cover page with bullet points about your wishes. Detail it all you want inside, but put the main things on the front, kwim?

kochh2
01-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I didn't have a chance to read all the PP's but since this is a topic dear to my heart.... or, well, its something I care about a lot... I just wanted to say that my daughter's birth was much more "sentimental" than my sons, in terms of being the birth i'd choose... My CNM had her on my chest within minutes of being born, and she stayed with me while they sewed me up... it was not exactly the birth i'd chosen, but as i was unable to have a vaginal delivery, this was a beautiful birth IMO!! Lillian stayed with me 100% of the time after she was born!! Aiden did too, but i did not get to hold him till the RR... that didn't have any impact on our bond, for sure... but it was not as tough the second time around IMO!! gotta run... baby is grabbing at the computer and DS is hungry :)

elephantmeg
01-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I think that my next OB apt (after the one on Friday) may be when I meet with the OB (I've been seeing the midwives even though I've been planing on a repeat C Section since the begining

Some disorganized thoughts
-I would like scheduled toradol x3 doses after the surgery and one dose intra-op.
-I would like to do the bath later-that evening-and myself. I had really wanted to do it with DS and it was on my birth plan but when I had a c-section it went out the window-and honestly after all the labor plus a c-section I didn't care
-I would like to know what they did in my last c-section in terms of anesthesia and replicate it but not use versed (sedative) after the birth. I was sleepy afterwards and it was hard to concentrate on being a mom!
-I want to see her before they take her to warm her. My first glimpse of DS was the back of DH digital camera. He went and took a pic and brought it to me! I didn't see him for several minutes.

I will say that I am intriged by the idea of watching the surgery but I know DH wouldn't be able to handle it. I've seen lots of c-sections so I don't think it would be a big deal for me. Maybe DH could sit so he looks just at me?

KrisM
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I will say that I am intriged by the idea of watching the surgery but I know DH wouldn't be able to handle it. I've seen lots of c-sections so I don't think it would be a big deal for me. Maybe DH could sit so he looks just at me?

Good luck with your OB appointment.

For watching it, I think most of the surgery could easily be not seen if he is sitting down. Much should be blocked by your belly. Certainly, the first incision will be blocked.

I do want to watch the surgery until the baby is born. Then, I think I want the screen up so that I am not distracted by what they're doing "behind the curtain" and can focus on the baby instead.