PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for a kid with an extra bone in each foot?

geochick
01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
My 11 yo nephew has always had foot problems. They just found out that he has two extra bones on the insides of each foot. He's scheduled for foot surgery later this spring, but before then, we are taking him on a trip to Hawaii. He always complains that his Teva shoes rub his feet wrong (we now know why). I'm worried about him in the water in Hawaii without shoes on. Can you think of any good shoes for a kid with bumps on the insides of his feet? I think traditional water shoes will rub there, but we'll definitely try those since Tevas rub wrong. Thanks.

jenmcadams
01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
They're not cheap, but I much prefer Chacos to Tevas -- just the way the straps adjust and hit my foot. I rarely wear shoes in the water unless I'm hiking or rafting along a river area, so not sure about sandy beaches and water shoes. Best bet might be to go to REI or somewhere that has a good selection and try a couple of pair on.

geochick
01-12-2008, 05:50 PM
They're not cheap, but I much prefer Chacos to Tevas -- just the way the straps adjust and hit my foot. I rarely wear shoes in the water unless I'm hiking or rafting along a river area, so not sure about sandy beaches and water shoes. Best bet might be to go to REI or somewhere that has a good selection and try a couple of pair on.

I'll buy the poor kid anything that won't hurt his feet. A few months ago I had him run a 5k with me. I feel bad - he couldn't finish it running. His feet felt too bad. I'll do anything to make it up to him.

I checked out Chacos online. They look better than Tevas because the straps hit in a different place. Does REI carry them? If so, I'll take him there tomorrow.

jenmcadams
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
REI definitely carries them and they should have a bunch of other options...maybe the Keen sandals would work too....good luck!