PDA

View Full Version : DS and big boy bed

niccig
01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
DS is 3yo and still in the crib, as he only climbed out a few times and he is a champion sleeper. DH and I still need to decide on the twin bed, but as our crib converts to a toddler bed DH suggested last night that we do this today - we had discussed doing it sometime after Christmas. So we did.

Well, now DS isn't napping, he keeps coming out saying he has to go potty (3 drops and that's it). Dh has a cold and is passed out on the couch. I know this is par for the course when you transition out of the bed, the problem is the timing. I have a ton of work to do before February both at home and for a conference, I just took on a class that is only offered once every 3 years, and I'm having surgery in 10 days. To say I need DS to sleep is an understatement. Why did I not insist on waiting until March when everything would be finished! Silly me!

Ceepa
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Put the front back on the crib, let DS get some sleep and try again in March.

StantonHyde
01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Yep, what she said!!

R2sweetboys
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I completely agree with the PP that you should put the crib rail back up. We lucked out with DS1 when we moved him to a big boy bed at just under 2 1/2 YO before DS2 was born. He would stay in bed when he woke up and call for us-wouldn't get out until we came. It was great. NOT the same when DS 2 went to a bb bed at age 2!!(what were we thinking?!!) He would get out of his bed immediately and we really regretted not keeping him in his crib longer. I know it's something we all have to deal with eventually but I definitely would have used the crib quite a bit longer if I had thought about it a bit more. Duh! :)

In your situation, I would definitely wait until until March or whenever the time is right for you. I hope that your DH understands your need for sleep right now. It doesn't seem like a good time to be implementing big changes. Good luck with your surgery and with getting all your work done! Take care,

lizajane
01-13-2008, 01:12 AM
i freakin' hate the big boy bed and wish like crazy my nearly 3 year old were still in the crib!
put it back together and get some rest.

i am still a little resentful with DH for taking DS2 out of the crib!!! (even though we had to tent it and push him down so we could zip it to trap him in it!!!)

scoop22
01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
yes.. get some sleep. put the side back up. ds still sleeps in his crib. we are debating the move but if i have to get a new crib just to have two sleeping boys i will. when he is ready he will do a great job.. good luck i hope things work out for you!

thomma
01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm in the "back to the crib" camp. My kids were in cribs until right before their 4th birthday. It took them 2 nights to get used to the bed. Easiest thing we've done so far.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

niccig
01-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone. DS did well last night, he came out once for the potty and I went in another time, then he slept right until 7am. We checked on him during the night, and from 4am onwards he was sleeping on the cushions we put in front of the crib - I don't know if he fell out or woke up and decided to sleep there as he was still in the bed at midnight. But he slept. I know this could be a honeymoon period though.

DS is really excited about the bed, and DH told him we'll put the side back on if he doesn't sleep well. He's surprised me with other transitions, so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, it'll be put together in a flash.