PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Peg Viaggio 2006 - AKH was it a mistake

mom2bmarch2008
01-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Am I a terrible mother to be already?

We bought a peg viaggio (not SIP) becaue it was a great price, could snap into the stroller and was lighter than the SIP model - were we fooled by the cheaper price tag??? I don't even know if it is the 2006 or 2007?!?!?!?!

I think I am driving my DH nuts over this so any help/advice is appreciated!

what do you think?

thanks for everything

Joolsplus2
01-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Nah, not a bad seat. But tell me (before I go on about pluses and minuses), what are the listed weight and height limits given for it?

:)

mom2bmarch2008
01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I will go and check out the box and get back to you!

thanks

mom2bmarch2008
01-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Nah, not a bad seat. But tell me (before I go on about pluses and minuses), what are the listed weight and height limits given for it?

Hi Jools

Ok so it is a 2007 primo viaggio - what do you say -
of note currently the baby is measuring at the 30th percentile.....

Thanks

Joolsplus2
01-19-2008, 10:11 AM
So that's 22 pounds and 29 inch limit? That's fine (It's the 20 pound/26 inch seats that are a waste of money). My only issue that I don't like about it is that you have to put the handle down when you are driving (which is why I prefer Graco and Chicco, their handles can be left up...but once you get in the habit of putting the handle down, it'll be a habit, you'll never know the difference)

You are A-OK :)

mom2bmarch2008
01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Actually i believe it does have a 20 lb limit but am waiting to hear on the height from peg.....they just havne't emailed me back yet

i'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

Joolsplus2
01-19-2008, 10:43 AM
The label on the box or seat will clearly give the limits... give it a good look-see. If it's 20 pounds, yeah, it's lame. Can only be used with the base (which is often hard to install in many cars), only fits even small kids to about 6 months old (big kids maybe to three months...generally, the parent's size has a lot to do with it...tall people often have bigger babies ;) ). The difference between a 20lb seat and a 22 lb seat doesn't seem like much, but it can be 6 months extra use out of a seat.

mom2bmarch2008
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Well when do kids normally go into the convertable seat (ie the britax marathon)? would 6 months be too early?

i guess at this stage of the game all i can do is hope taht the car seat installers are able to do it...since I have the seat i think I am stuck with it. I guess there is no point shelling out 300 for the viaggio sip with the higher limits....but will have to shell out for the convertable sooner than later
(our thought process was that I am only 5'1" and am unlikely to be able to carry even a 20lb child in its car seat and the viaggio was easier for me to carry with my arm length)

what did you mean by "can only be used with its base"?

thanks for your invaluable knowledge!

Joolsplus2
01-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Only used with it's base means you can't install it without the base (most infant seats have belt paths on the top of the baby's legs, so if you want to pop into dad's car or a taxi just one time, you don't have to bring the base at all...).

Most of us want to use an infant seat until the baby is reliably sitting up well (in restaurant highchairs and shopping carts) so if a seat can make it to a good 8 months, that's ideal. Since you're petite, fingers crossed you get a good long use out of this seat! :)

Yup, a convertibles are fine from birth, and fit most babies very well at 6 months (past that floppy newborn stage and when they can tolerate being more upright is perfect for convertible usage).

Make sure to have the cps techs teach YOU to install your seat... you're going to be using installed seats for at least the next 6 years, it's not hard to do, and you won't be in a bind if you decide to take it out to wash a milky spill or to vacuum up cheerios from under it :p (if they aren't so helpful, we'll walk you through it, I promise!)

mom2bmarch2008
01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks so much Jools!

There is so much information we new parents just don't even know to ask about!!! I guess a smaller seat with a smaller baby (fingers crossed) is just like a normal seat with a bigger baby - as they are also likely out of the 22 lb 29inch seat by 6 months....my goal is to get to the 6 month mark!

We are going out of town when the baby will be about 6 months (just less) but my cousin has said that we can borrow her seat that can be used without the base so we got lucky.

Good advice - I will do my best to learn to install the car seat - although i am not the best at these types of things...hopefully my husband will pick up on it but I now know where to go if I can't figure it out.

Thank you again for your help