PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a toddler with only 2 teeth?

vludmilla
01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
DD is 16 months old (she was born at 32 weeks so you could consider her a 14 month old) and she only has 2 teeth on the bottom. I've been pretty calm about it but I am starting to get anxious for some more teeth. I just saw my BF and her 18 month old daughter has 16 teeth!!!! It doesn't help that her daughter also looks like she is twice the size of my petite peanut (19.5 lbs). Anyway, how common or rare is this?
Thanks,
-Victoria

lilycat88
01-13-2008, 12:51 AM
DD didn't have a sign of a tooth until she was 11 months old and had only 2 for many months after that. I'm honestly not sure when she actually finished getting all she should have at this age but by 3 she had them. I think we were still waiting on the last 2 molars when we took her to one of her dentist appointments at 2 1/2. I just went back to look at some pictures and at 18 months, she had the front 4 teeth and 1 other about 1/2 in.

j

kijip
01-13-2008, 01:01 AM
FIRST tooth came at 15 months, at 16 months he had 2 teeth-one each side of upper jaw... essentially little fangs. Conveniently, he was 16 months at Halloween. :)

vludmilla
01-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Thank you both for responding. It's good to hear that it's not SO unusual. I don't know if you've had to hear annoying comments from others but I have. People are regularly shocked that she has only two teeth and because she's small, they can hardly believe her age.

amandabea
01-13-2008, 09:41 AM
my DD is going to be 12 months (next week). Her first tooth just pushed through! I haven't taken her to her dentist yet, but I asked my dentist a few months ago if this was "normal" or if I should be concerned. She told me one of her two sons didn't get his first tooth until 11 months and then was just slow to get the others. She said it was fine and that my DD would have get all of her teeth in time.

Sorry people make such rude comments. Just tell them that looking young for her age will come in handy later in life.

sarahsthreads
01-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Yep, DD didn't get her first tooth until 11 months. The second popped through just before her first birthday, and two more the month after that. And then nothing, nada, zip, zilch for another four months.

I was worried until my mom said that I was the same way. And just to warn you, I didn't lose my last baby tooth until high school, and the dentist also confirmed that late teethers are generally late to get their adult teeth as well.

Sarah :)

kransden
01-13-2008, 10:40 AM
DD got her first tooth at 14.5 months and they were the top teeth. Her bottom teeth eventually came in extremely crooked. They eventully straightened out to normal looking. Sigh - now I am waiting for the first tooth to fall out. Where did the time go?

MamaMolly
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Perfectly normal. DD got her first tooth at 11 mos and 19 days. Not like I was anxious or anything! ;) And can I say that it didn't help my that her cousin who is 3 mos younger already had at least 4?!?!

She has two bottom and one top chomper now at 15.5 mos and is working to get another. And she is also little at 20.4 #.

I usually get comments about how small she is too, but yesterday took the cake. I was cruising the aisles at my local giant thrift shop and a lady made very sweet comments about DD. She asked me what size I was shopping for for my 15 month old and when I said 12 mos you could tell she was floored. This nice lady was also getting 12 month sized bargains for her 6 month old granddaughter!!!!

Had to chuckle over that!

vludmilla
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I usually get comments about how small she is too, but yesterday took the cake. I was cruising the aisles at my local giant thrift shop and a lady made very sweet comments about DD. She asked me what size I was shopping for for my 15 month old and when I said 12 mos you could tell she was floored. This nice lady was also getting 12 month sized bargains for her 6 month old granddaughter!!!!

Had to chuckle over that!

I completely understand. Recently, I was grocery shopping and an older woman asked me how old DD was but before I could tell her she said "6 months?". I replied, no, she is actually 16 months. The woman's face was amazing. She looked aghast, either because she was concerned for my daughter or embarrased. I think she wanted to take my daughter away and feed her! LOL

g-mama
01-13-2008, 11:40 AM
All three of my boys got their first tooth between 14-16 months. People would say the craziest things, like "are you worried he may not HAVE any teeth?"

Uh no, I really try to worry about things that are more of a real possibility, but thanks for your concern!

JoyNChrist
01-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I wish I had your problem! DS has 6 teeth (at 10 months) and he loves to bite!

On the other hand, my neice didn't get her first tooth until she was 14 months old. So I think it just varies by child, pretty much like everything else.