PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about this cough? Update saw the doc.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-13-2008, 01:51 AM
On thursday dd started developing a cough. By bedtime it required cough syrup to sleep. When I picked her up from school on friday her teacher said she'd been coughing throughout the day and had developed a 1 degree elevation in her temp. Today the cough has worsened and is accompanied now by a runny nose. Her temp. is normal though so I think the elevation was just from being active at school.
When dd was 4 months old she had rsv and 2 years ago had bacterial pneumonia which we caught early and only required antibiotics thank goodness. This is the first bad cough that she's had since then and I'm nervous. It's a rough sounding cough but not very wet. I don't think she's bringing up much mucus when she coughs. The coughing is fairly frequent,at least every 5 minutes or so. The coughs actually sound a lot like the ones she had 2 years ago, but maybe thats just my fears affecting my hearing.
She had a half teaspoon of delsym about an hour before bed and was still coughing a lot when she was all tucked in. I turned the humidifier on in her room tonight.

So should I be more worried about this, should I call the ped. at the exchange or wait until monday for an appt. Or should I even take her in and I'm totally overreacting? Personally I'm thinking monday appt. but last time I was really relaxed about it and it went from a cough to bronchitis to pnumonia and I didn't know she was so sick. Let me know what you guys think, I could use the advice.

Boy do I feel silly, we went today and of course this was the day the cough started clearing up. Ped said she's clear right now but if the cough isn't gone by thursday to give them a call and he'd put her on antibiotics for it. Ds started coughing the other night and ped said the same thing about him. Thanks for all your advice. We did wind up calling the exchange,more for dh's peace of mind than my benefit. But alls well.

LarsMal
01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
It wouldn't hurt to call the doc. There is a nasty virus going around our area. I swear every other person I talk to has at least one child on a nebulizer right now! My friend's 9mo started out with a cough and ended up in the hospital last weekend with pneumonia.

Sorry, not trying to scare you! Better to get it figured out now, though, before it develops into something worse.

Hope she's feeling better soon!

thomma
01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I always call...my ped's office knows my voice. :) My dd has had a cough for almost two weeks. It's sounding junkier so I'm calling tomorrow.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

overcome
01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Is she wheezing? If so I would def. Call the doc...especially w/her history. I think I would call anyway.

Let us know how you make out.
GL