PDA

View Full Version : When to register?

tnrnchick74
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, I just found out what the gender of the baby is...4 days ago! ITS A BOY!!!

My co-workers have all encouraged me to go ahead and register...and that they are planning a giant baby shower. Now, I have no problem with this at all! I was HOPING they would throw me a shower...especially since this is my first (and maybe only baby).

But I'm only 19.5 weeks. Is it too early to register? I know a bunch of other out of state relatives have been asking if I'm registering too. I will register, but when? I don't want to register too early and seem too anxious about getting things.

The pros to registering early (at least in my pregnant brain):
1 - help organize the list of things needed
2 - lets people save $$ for the more expensive things
3 - lets people shop around for the best deals
4 - gives an idea early on about decor, color schemes, preferences, etc

Cons
1 - seems kinda greedy
2 - people are not going to buy right away
3 - things get discontinued

I have decided to register at BRU, if that makes a difference.

LarsMal
01-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd say do what you're comfortable with. If you think it's too early, wait a few more weeks- you certainly have time! You could always go walk around BRU, or wherever you're registering, and make notes of things you want, then go back in a few weeks and do the official registry.

Don't let your co-workers rush you into it if you think it's too early. I can't imagine they'll be throwing you a shower in the next few weeks!

Good luck, and try to have some fun with it. I found it to be much more stressful than I was expecting, just because I wanted to make sure I had the "right" stuff. Take your Baby Bargains book with you, though, and you'll be just fine!!!

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Many places have online sites where you can revise your registry so you can get the basic one done now and update it as necessary in the weeks to come from home. That's what I did and it worked well. It's good to check in and see if anything has been discontinued or new products have come out. I think I registered after the 20w u/s and my shower wasn't till I was 34 weeks. It won't look greedy to do it now. It seems practical, if you ask me. :)

Beth

MommyAllison
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
The only reason I'd caution you to wait is that I think BRU (and Target, etc) are all clearancing out baby stuff right now. I know BRU has strollers on clearance, and I would imagine they'll be doing other gear clearance too. Which on the one hand, means someone could get a great deal on their gift for you, but then again, I think it's more likely that when they go to buy your gift, some of the things you registered for will be out of stock because they've been clearanced out and replaced with the new models. I might wait a few more weeks if I were you. Hope that made sense!

KrisM
01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
The only reason I'd caution you to wait is that I think BRU (and Target, etc) are all clearancing out baby stuff right now. I know BRU has strollers on clearance, and I would imagine they'll be doing other gear clearance too. Which on the one hand, means someone could get a great deal on their gift for you, but then again, I think it's more likely that when they go to buy your gift, some of the things you registered for will be out of stock because they've been clearanced out and replaced with the new models. I might wait a few more weeks if I were you. Hope that made sense!

Yes, my wedding was in early Feb and my baby shower was in late Feb and registering at Target was a pain because they clearance so much in January. So, I'd wait until the shelves are restocked in the next couple weeks.

But, I'd go ahead and start it now. I found it exhausting once I got to 30 weeks or so. It just took a ton of energy to be making the decisions, and walking the store by then. Also, although I had read the BBB book and knew a lot, I found I still wasn't sure on a lot of things and had to take notes and come back here to do more research, so it took a number of trips to the store to compare things before I was set on it.

dr mom
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I suggest you go to the store with your DH and just look around...see what strikes your interest...have fun planning your nursery decor and looking at all the teeny tiny baby clothes.

Then, go home. The first trip is way too overwhelming to make decisions about what you really want or need, anyway.

Go back with a list of what you think you need (BRU and Target both have lots of registry info online), with your Baby Bargains book in hand and a good friend who already has children. Leave DH at home, this is going to be a long trip, and if he's anything like my DH, he really doesn't care AT ALL what pattern window valance you pick out. Your friend's job is to keep you for registering for anything stupid that you just don't need. Assuming that you've already read Baby Bargains and have an idea what you're registering for, the point of carrying the book is that you can whack pushy salespeople over the head with it, to get them to back off.

I personally wouldn't register for the "big ticket" items until a little later in pregnancy...we made that mistake and found that quite a few patterns and styles were discontinued, so we had to go back and pick substitutes. Also, clothes are seasonal, so what you see today probably won't be in stock three months from now, when people are shopping. But you can start putting basics on your registry (equipment for feeding, diapering, and nursery basics don't change much from year to year) then later add in the specific nursery decor, high chair, pack-n-play, stroller etc. when they're less likely to be changing models or prints.

mezzona
01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
You could certainly start registering for your baby's needs, even if only to help you get organized and compare prices. When I did my registry, I changed almost everything about 3 times, especially when I did more research, read BBB, etc.

If anything, I registered with the expectation that no one would get anything I registered for anyway (which ended up being the case!) and for the most part it was just for me to keep track of what I need to get, where to buy it, and when it prints out, even gives you the location in the store so it makes picking it up that much easier!

No one has to know about it. If your friends are really interested in getting something for you and your baby early, they can look it up.

Oh, and it's fun to do! =)

amandabea
01-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think it's too early...do what makes sense for your schedule. Plus as the PPs mentioned, you can go online over and over to revise it. My only suggestion is don't register for clothing...you'll get a ton of it.

klwa
01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
I registered with DS fairly early, about 24 weeks or so? Personally I like when people register early so that I can go ahead & start thinking through what I'd like to get them and watch for sales.

kellyd
01-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm only at 15 1/2 weeks and we registered a while ago. Of course that was mostly because of Christmas and everyone wanted to buy things for the baby as Christmas presents. One nice thing about BRU is that when something on your registry is changing they e-mail you. If anything in the store or is being clearanced or just discontinued I find out and can adjust my registry accordingly.

salsah
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
it is definately not too early to start researching. it may take you longer than you expect to finalize your decisions. it took me so long to decide on a crib. (it was the first thing i started shopping for and the last thing that i decided on.) it is also i good idea to start early because you don't want to be stressed running around shopping at the end of your pregnancy. you should save the last couple of months to just rest, relax and enjoy your time with dh before the baby comes.