PDA

View Full Version : Do your DC follow similar growth curves?

cmonbaby
01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm still stuck in new mom mode and my DS is 2 1/2 and while he has been consistent on the growth curve, he is still on the skinny side. We have DD due in March and it just occurred to me that I should probably rethink the way that I buy ahead on her clothing. I've been finding so many great deals lately that I can't seem to pass them up!

Have you noticed a similar growth trend in your children or are they so completely different in sizing? For example, DS was in size 6 month shorts the summer that he turned one year. I have no idea if DD will have the same sizing issues eventually. I know it probably isn't smart to buy too much ahead of time but just thought I would get some opinions.

TIA,
Tracy
Mama to my sweet Owen 06.29.05 & Baby Kate due 03.27.08

ellies mom
01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
This is such a good question and one I'm struggling with myself. I know I was a tiny little thing and my brother was a big brute so it is definitely a concern. It kind of hinders that whole "want to be prepared" thing doesn't it?

belovedgandp
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Totally different so far. I only have two boys - one is almost 4 and the other is 7 months. They both started out big 9 lbs and 9 1/2 lbs. Although the younger one started bigger he's been much slower/smaller than his brother so far - older son was 20 1/2 pounds and 28 inches at 6 months. Baby was just 17 lbs and 26 inches at 6 months.

There really is no predicting. I stopped trying to guess (especially with shoes) for my oldest. I will say it's nicer now because he's slowed down. Summer stuff is really easy. The pants can be impossible because when they do have a growth spurt it's overnight, plus my older one is so skinny it's impossible to keep pants up.

goodnightmoon
01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
My older daughter is almost 3 years old and has always been around the 90-95% mark. Our younger daughter is 8 months old and is staying around only 4%.

It's just so much fun to buy ahead and dream of your new baby, though. Congratulations! :)

LarsMal
01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Mine are pretty much on the same curve. Whenever I come home from a well-visit w/DD I compare her weight/height with DS and they have always been just about the same.

My friend, however, has two DDs. Her older daughter was always on the low end for weight and average to above for height. Her second daughter has been off the charts since she was a couple months old. Her 9 month old is actually wearing the size 18month winter clothes right now that her then almost 2 yo wore last year!!

So, basically, it's hard to say!!!!! I will say, though, that my friend is very petite and her husband is 6'4" so that explains some of their situation!

Momof3Labs
01-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Mine are both tall, but DS1 is off the charts while DS2 is only 90-95th percentile. DS1 has super long legs, and DS2 has kinda short legs - his length is in his torso. DS2 has chunkier thighs than DS1 ever did, but is still super-skinny in the waist. Weight-wise they've been fairly close but their different shapes means that it is distributed a little differently.

egoldber
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Mine are quite different. Sarah was always 50th percentile height and weight. Still is at age 6.

Amy is 25-50th percentile height but usually just below the weight chart. Sometimes she flirts with the 5th percentile for weight LOL! Her weight makes it VERY hard to find pants that fit her properly and dresses that don't look like tents!

AngelaS
01-13-2008, 10:02 PM
A has always been right at 50%.

G went from 80 to 75 ito 50 in the first year, to 30 to under the 15 for a couple years, and now at age 5 is back up to 50%.

M has always been around the 6o to 75%.

KrisM
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Not even close.

DS was 9lbs 6 oz at birth and DD was 8 lbs 6 oz. I figured they continue to be fairly close.

DS was 24lbs 10 oz at age 1. He wore a size 18 months in clothes and a 6.5 shoe.

DD was 17lbs 8 oz at age 1. She was in 6-9 month clothes and a 4 shoe.

DS has been fairly consistently in the 75th or so percentile for both weight and height. DD started around that, but by 6 months had dropped to under 25th percentile. She's back up to 50th or so now at 19 months.

I received so many gifts of clothes for DD that I thought would work well, based on DS's growth. I have tons of things still with tags waiting to see if baby #3 might be able to wear them. I now only buy for the upcoming season. I hope I can better predict her growth down the road.

ETA: The only thing that has been consistent between them is their head size. Both of them are over 97th percentile and always have been!