PDA

View Full Version : Stupid TV..why did you decide to break now?

julieakc
01-14-2008, 02:37 AM
DH & I get $$ from his dad/stepmom for Christmas - we got $250 each this year and after much discussion decided to pool our money and get a new HD Tivo.

We've had a Tivo for years but hadn't upgraded to HD and since we watch almost all of our primetime TV through Tivo after DS goes to bed we've been missing out on watching stuff in HD. Also, the new Tivo has the ability to tape two different shows at the same time.

So, DH goes and buys the new Tivo last Sunday and hooks it up. Wednesday the cable guy comes to put the HD cards in it. Everything is great and we're excited.

Thursday - TV dies!

Now we have to wait for service guy to come out and diagnose the problem - then he'll have to order parts....we'll wait for parts to come in...then when the parts come in another appointment will be scheduled to do actual repair.

So we are looking at several weeks without being able to use our cool new Tivo :-(

Oh and did I mention that our TV weighs 200 pounds so it's not like we could just bring in the bedroom TV temporarily. And we'll have to lift the 200lb monster in and out of the entertainment unit for both of these service visits...oh and it's going to cost several hunderd dollars!

GlindaGoodWitch
01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Just wondering how old the tv is because of the switch to digital signal that's happening I think next year?

If it's an old set, maybe you should think about just investing in a new one that won't need a conversion box?

At any rate, I feel for you. Nothing like getting a nice present that you can't use as well as being at the mercy of any kind of repair man...

julieakc
01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Just wondering how old the tv is because of the switch to digital signal that's happening I think next year?

If it's an old set, maybe you should think about just investing in a new one that won't need a conversion box?

At any rate, I feel for you. Nothing like getting a nice present that you can't use as well as being at the mercy of any kind of repair man...

No issues with the digital signals next year - TV is only 4 years old - it's a very nice HD TV that costs a lot of $$ when we bought it. That's why we've opted to get it repaired instead of replacing it (which we did consider)...if we sold it (with or without being repaired) whe wouldn't really make a dent in re-cooping our costs and with it only being 4 years old that hurts.

The whole situation sucks, because no one likes to spend money on repairs, but what really sucks is the timing. Like you said it's having a new "toy" that we can't play with right away.

JoyNChrist
01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
We still haven't hooked up our new Tivo that MIL & FIL bought us for Christmas. It's just sitting in the box by the TV, looking sad and neglected.

No real reason, we've just been really busy lately and I haven't felt like I've had the time to sit down and hook it up and play with it and figure out all the features and stuff. Maybe DS will go to bed early tonight...