PDA

View Full Version : Regent over Nautilus?

Dee150
01-14-2008, 10:06 AM
DS is 3 1/2, and is very skinny and tall. (I've been trying to measure him this morning and he is otherwise inclined!) He is probably 42".
He has always been off the charts at the upper end for height. He is in a MA right now and I need a replacement and a seat which will work for DH's car. From reading posts here it seemed like the Regent was the way to go. Last night I came across some enthusiastic posts on another board for the new Graco Nautilus. It seems to go height-wise to almost the Regent's limit. I expect he will hit the height limits way before the weight limits so a higher weight limit isn't of any additional benefit.
I'd like to keep him harnessed for as long as possible. Is there a benefit to the Regent over the Nautilus (I'm thinking of the $100 difference here!)? I will get the Regent if it will keep him in a 5 pt. longer.
Also, I drive a CRV and the MA is really too high in the center. Would one or the other of these 2 seats sit lower on the seat than the MA?
TIA!

Joolsplus2
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi :) I know that seat's the BIG buzz at www.car-seat.org lately...so far it looks great. I would guess the Regent harness would last probably 3 years longer though...so when you say harnessed as long as possible, is 6-7 ok, or do you want to go with 8-10? (most kids are mature enough to sit in a booster at 5 or 6, too).

They are both considerably lower than the Marathon,(well...lower on the seat, that is, they are still the same height, if you're thinking about your rearview) I'm not sure the Regent fits in the middle of a CR-V, but it definitely would fit outboard.

I think that the Nautilus is more tempting now that the Regent requires the recline bar to be used (it eats up a lot of legroom in smaller cars.. when they didn't require the recline bar it fit better in more cars and didn't take up so much space). If you can wait till April, there's a *rumor* about a new Britax Combo seat (but we don't know the harness limit or height... I just wanted to mention that it's at least a rumor so you don't kick yourself for buying something this month if something better is just beyond the horizon ;))

I think, though, what most of my carseat junky friends would do is get one Regent for the main car, one Nautilus for the other car, and then you have a seat that travels nicely, is easy to move, and can be used as a booster, while you have a giant la-z-boy in the main car and you can keep him harnessed longer. If you can see the Regent at BRU, that'd be a good idea so you get an idea of what it's all about :thumbsup:

Dee150
01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks Julie! Your response covered everything I was 'thinking' of but didn't actually write! Yes, I was wondering about the rear view - DS has a system for getting into the MA, so the height off of the seat isn't an issue.

So the Regent does give an extra 2-3 years! And I would imagine, any new combination seat from Britax would at least go up to the upper height limit for the Regent?

He is really skinny, so I cant really picture him with just a seat belt, but so many years down the line...I noticed one of your kids is 8 and in a booster - are there any height/ weight considerations for when they can go to a booster? I kept him rear facing for as long as I could (thanks in part to your pictures and website), but at 8, I'm not sure if it would be a battle. If there is a clear/ significant safety benefit, that would be different... I guess I'm wondering if skinny or not is an issue in going into a booster.

I read a few posts about kids who are in a MA, shorter than DS, and close to the upper height limit. My DS is long in the torso, and the top of his ears are not over the top of the seat. Am I looking at this all wrong? He was 41" at the doctor's- so I'm thinking at least 42" now.
Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd say my ds moved to a booster full time at 8ish, my dd at 7ish (I'm always switching seats around, it's kind of a blur, lol). As long as your ds' shoulders aren't over the top slots of the Marathon, he still fits (My dd was 'at' the top slots at 5.5, and still fit for at least another 6 months before her shoulders crept above them, maybe even a bit longer). It's just important that they can sit still in a booster... most kids are pretty good at 5-6...some kids need to be harnessed longer...some kids can just be *threatened* with a harness or locking the seatbelt over them to make them sit properly :ROTFLMAO: (and sometimes I WISH my crazy older two were both in Regents, they are SO bad about leaning over to play with or hit each other sometimes... argh...)

Dee150
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks Julie. I'm thinking for now while the MA still is OK, I will get the Nautilus for DH's car, and wait for the possible new Britax or get the Regent when he needs to move out of the MA.
Thanks much!

ckleist
01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
So why is the recline bar required now? We bought a regent last spring and my dh said it was optional and he is not using it. Should we be using it? He drives a Jeep cherokee and I believe the seat is tethered. If there is new britax combo coming out, maybe I'll hold off on making a decision until then.

ckleist
01-15-2008, 11:42 PM
So I thought I registered our regent but must not have, saw the safety notice on their site and need to get the repair kit for our regent.

Joolsplus2
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Britax's registration system is pretty bad...give them a call and they will send you the kit and advisory if your seat needs it (it may not, it's only certain dates...)

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
We have 2 REGENTS and love love love them... My daughter is 4.5 yo, 40 lbs and 41 inches tall. She can still fit in her Marathon and that is what we use to travel with ... but I am looking for another seat to replace the Marathon for traveling because you can't travel with REGENT.. BUT WE LOVE LOVE LOVE.

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes you ALWAYS need to use recline bar.. It states Top Tether is recommended and Recline Bar is REQUIRED

Here is the info on the consumer safety advisory on the Regent. We got the new kit they made the harness straps longer and gave you non skid tape to put on bottom.

Britax Child Safety, Inc.
13501 South Ridge Drive
Charlotte, NC 28273
USA
A Britax Childcare company
Tel: 704-409-1700
Fax: 704-409-1710
BritaxUSA.com
July 9, 2007
Re: Consumer Advisory for Regent® Child Restraint - Product Update

Dear Britax® Regent® Owner:
Britax Child Safety, Inc. is providing a free product update kit to owners of the Regent®
child restraint. Britax has modified the Regent product and revised our instructions to
require the long belt-routing method of installation with LATCH, lap-shoulder belt, and
lap belt, for use with children weighing 22 to 40 pounds. For children weighing 40 to 80
pounds the short belt-routing method of installation with LATCH, lap-shoulder belt, and
lap belt is required. This product update will enhance the performance of the Regent
child restraint.
This kit includes a revised user guide, belt-routing label to be applied over the existing
label located on the fabric cover, a longer LATCH connector strap, and adhesive slipresistant
strips.
This kit is for all Regent child restraints manufactured between November 10, 2005 and
June 18, 2007. The child restraints have a model number beginning with “E9L39.” The
model number and date of manufacture may be found on a white label on the lower
left side of the child restraint underneath the fabric cover.
Consumers who own a Regent child restraint manufactured between November 10,
2005 and June 18, 2007 with model number beginning with “E9L39” and have registered
their restraint will be sent an update kit along with complete instructions. Those
consumers that have not registered their child restraint should contact Britax Consumer
Services at 1-888-427-4829 Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 4:45 pm EST and
Fridays from 8:30 am to 1:45 pm EST or register online at www.BritaxUSA.com.
All Regent child restraints manufactured after June 18, 2007 have been produced with
this modification.
Product update kits will begin shipping to registered owners on or before July 10, 2007.
We strongly advise all current owners to utilize this product update kit as soon as it is
received.
Until the product update kit is received, consumers should take the following action to
ensure their Regent is installed properly for enhanced performance:
Installation Method
Child’s
Weight LATCH Lap-Shoulder Belt Lap Belt 22 – 40 lbs Until update kit with new LATCH connector is
received, use the alternative long beltrouting method of installation for either lapshoulder belt or lap-belt.
Use long belt-routing method of installation. Top tether recommended and recline bar required. Use long belt-routing
method of installation. Top tether recommended and recline bar required. 40 – 80 lbs Use LATCH in short beltrouting
installation. Top tether is recommended and recline bar is required between 40 – 50 lbs. Top tether and recline bar are
required over 50 lbs. Always check your vehicle manufacturers’ guidelines for maximum LATCH anchor weight
limits. Use short belt-routing installation method. Top tether and recline bar required. Use short belt-routing
installation method. Top tether is recommended and recline bar is required between 40 – 50 lbs. Top tether
and recline bar are required over 50 lbs. The current LATCH connector is acceptable for use in the short belt-routing installation for children weighing 40 to 80 pounds, however the length of the connector will not allow for the long belt-routing LATCH installation for children weighing 22 to 40 pounds. Until the longer LATCH connector is received with the product update kit, consumers are advised to use the long belt-routing method using either the vehicle lap-shoulder
belt or vehicle lap-belt for enhanced performance. Instructions for the long and short belt-routing methods can be found with this letter and on www.BritaxUSA.com.
Please feel free to contact Britax Consumer Service, 1-888-427-4829, if you need further
assistance.
Sincerely,
Britax Child Safety, Inc.

QUOTE FROM REGENT USER MANUAL ON USING THE RECLINE BAR!:

Using the Recline Bar:

Installing the Recline Bar"

IMPORTANT: The recline bar must be installed
before using this restraint.Insert recline bar into the holes in lower rear of
restraint prior to installation in vehicle. (Fig. A)
Placement of Recline Bar
IMPORTANT: Restraint should rest flat on vehicle
seat and recline bar will rest against vehicle seat
back. (Fig. B)
Belt Routing with Recline Bar
The recline bar is provided to improve stability
of the restraint. Proper installation is key to
ensuring the best performance of the restraint.

o_mom
01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes you ALWAYS need to use recline bar.. It states Top Tether is recommended and Recline Bar is REQUIRED

For Regents made prior to June 18th 2007, the update requiring the recline bar is not mandatory or they would have issued a recall. The seat still passes testing without the update, but Britax recommends following the advisory as it performs better with the update.