PDA

View Full Version : Replace car seat???

champion2b
01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
About a month ago I was driving and ice flew off the top of a bus traveling in the opposite direction and broke my windshield. The huge piece ice flew through my SUV and landed in the cargo area. I was injured, but THANFULLY DS wasn't in the car @ the time because he sits directly behind me. I'm not sure if his seat (Britax Regent) was impacted by the ice, but it's covered with glass from the windshield. Until I receive the vehicle back from the auto body shop, I'm unable to inspect it.

Does the seat need to be replaced? If so, with what? I had the Regent for almost 3 years so I have no idea what's new on the market. DS is 5 1/2, 45" and 50 lbs. Should I just put him in a booster full-time or replace with a 5 pt-harness? When he uses a booster, I always strap him in with the seatbelt so I know it's done properly.

Joolsplus2
01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd call Britax about this one, I'm sure it's a story they'd like to hear! (Glad you are ok!!!!)

You might consider the Graco Nautilus if you want to keep him harnessed a little longer, and then it becomes a good booster...but at this age he should be fine in a booster full time, if you are ok with that. One with good side impact protection would be my choice.. a Britax, Jane, Recaro, Maxi Cosi, or Compass B510 (JUST the B510, the rest have very shallow headwings)

:)

bubbaray
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Well, I'd probably get my insurance company to replace it. I mean, if nothing else, you get a newer seat, KWIM? I'd also be asking about the safety of the tether anchors in the cargo area, if that is where the ice landed.

Are you in British Columbia by any chance? There have been some problems with ice falling off one of the bridges here and falling onto/into cars. Scary -- glad you are OK!!

sjfin
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I second checking with your insurance company. I was in an accident which did 6,000 worth of damage to the vehicle (front end). My daughter was in the car in her carseat. All I had to do was supply receipt for old carseat, buy a new one, and provide receipts for both.

Good luck.

champion2b
01-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I already checked with my auto insurance company. They're not responsible for replacing it. I would have to claim it through my home owner's insurance, but the replacement carseat would cost less than my deductible. That's the way insurance works in NJ.

o_mom
01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
I would call up the food chain with your auto insurance if you haven't already. Carseats are always covered under Auto, AFAIK.