PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this?

Pennylane
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I was out of town yesterday and ran across a local children's boutique that was having a huge winter clearance sale. A friend of mine called while I was there and after I told her where I was and the deals I was getting, she asked me to pick up some outfits for her girls. I told her right off that everything was final sale and you could not even do exchanges but she assured me that our tastes were so similiar that she would love whatever I picked out. She told me she wanted to spend about 200.00, so I agreed to pick out some outfits for her two dd's. I had the salesperson ring up the orders seperate so I would have the $ amount all ready for her.

I met my friend today to give her the items and get a check. She looks through everything, oohs and aahs, then picks out 3 outfits she does not think will work on her dd's and tries to give me a check for 85.00 less than what she owes me!!! WTH!! I told her right away that I could not return the outfits and being that our dd's were different sizes, I had no use for them. She then asked me what she was going to do with them and I told her I didn't know but I was not going to pay for them just because she was not crazy about the colors. We ended up both parting upset. I would not take the check for the lesser amount and I left all the clothes with her.

Where do I go from here?? I don't want to ruin our friendship, but give me a break. I don't have that kind of money to waste. Lesson learned about doing favors though...

Ann

Britt
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you were totally in the right. You forewarned her that there were no exchanges and everything was final sale, and she told you to go ahead and spend $200. So she should pay you in full.

Puddy73
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Ugh, it is awful when favors come back to bite you in the a**! Later today or tomorrow, give her a call and explain that the outfits cannot be returned and that you cannot afford to absorb the $85 shortfall. Suggest that she sell the unwanted outfits on eBay, or, if you are willing, offer to post them on the BBB swap. HTH!

bisous
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Yikes. I'm so sorry you've found yourself in that situation!

Thinking about "what you should do" I realized that different personalities would handle this in different ways.

My mom is who is pretty aggressive and no-nonsense would absolutely insist on getting her $200 in full even if she had to threaten (or attend) small claims court. She's definitely one extreme of how you can handle it. And if you can imagine she's been through many friendships in her life.

My SIL, on the other hand, would probably have just accepted the $85 short pay and then gone home and cried about it. She's the other extreme. She has lots of "friends".

I'm definitely in the middle on this one. I'd call my friend and see if we could meet to talk about the clothes. I would wait for her to talk first. Maybe when she explained what happened to her mother or husband or another friend they let her know that she was in the wrong. Or maybe she's had time to realize how unfair she is being. If she admitted as much that would definitely tell me something about how she valued me as a friend and that would determine my next move. If she was willing to pay the full amount, I might even be willing to split the difference with her or even eat the costs. Although $85 is a lot of money for me, my good friends are worth a lot more and her willingness to pay to be fair would be indicative that we were good friends.

If she didn't offer to pay the $85 then I would calmly explain that I was upset and felt that it was unfair. However, I would accept a check for her for the $115 of clothing that she actually did keep. Then I would take the unwanted clothing and try to sell on ebay or swap to recoup my investment. I would also consider that friendship essentially over. She wasn't willing to be fair or to part with $85 and I don't think that that friendship is worth nurturing.

I've presented these to show you that you can act in any way that works best for you! I hope that you have a good resolution to this situation.

Jen

JoyNChrist
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
If she didn't offer to pay the $85 then I would calmly explain that I was upset and felt that it was unfair. However, I would accept a check for her for the $115 of clothing that she actually did keep. Then I would take the unwanted clothing and try to sell on ebay or swap to recoup my investment. I would also consider that friendship essentially over. She wasn't willing to be fair or to part with $85 and I don't think that that friendship is worth nurturing.Jen

What she said. :)

So sorry you're having to deal with this...what a pain, and totally unfair!

ha98ed14
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
ITA with Jen. Very, very well said.

I too would be willing to eat the $85 or split the difference if I really believed that my friend didn't understand my explanation that all sales were final, no returns, etc. (Although, I think the fact that your friend gave you a $200 limit SHOWS that she understood full well that she was expected to pay you the FULL amount!) But if your friend insists on paying you only $115, I agree that the friendship is SO OVER!

Who wants friends like that anyway?!?!

Ceepa
01-14-2008, 04:52 PM
It's your friend's responsibility to sell the unwanted clothes and try to recoup the money, not yours. You held up your end of the bargain.

KBecks
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, I would never do anything concerning money with that friend again.

Sorry you're in a tough situation and that your kindness was taken advantage of.

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM
If she didn't offer to pay the $85 then I would calmly explain that I was upset and felt that it was unfair. However, I would accept a check for her for the $115 of clothing that she actually did keep. Then I would take the unwanted clothing and try to sell on ebay or swap to recoup my investment. I would also consider that friendship essentially over. She wasn't willing to be fair or to part with $85 and I don't think that that friendship is worth nurturing.

ITA.

Another option would be to keep the friendship going, suggest going out to a nice grown up dinner out then forget your wallet. ;) If she questions you then call her on the $85 she owes you.

Beth

bubbaray
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Ask her to give you back all the clothes and ebay or CL them. Never do her another favor again. Be prepared to write off the friendship -- if she will screw you over financially when you did her a favor like this, do you really want to be her friend?

ThreeofUs
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
What the heck!?!

I agree with talking to the friend. But it seems to me you should state - in as friendly but hurt tone as possible - the situation just as you did above. Tell her frankly - but again, nicely and sadly - that you would never have bought the clothes for her if you hadn't felt the agreement to be different and that you cannot absorb the loss. Ask her if she agrees with that statement of the situation, and hear what she has to say.

If you still value her friendship after you understand her point of view, ask her for her solution. If you don't, take her to small claims court or request all the clothes back and make a mint selling them on EBay!

Sorry you're in this space - especially after being so nice.

Corie
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
It's your friend's responsibility to sell the unwanted clothes and try to recoup the money, not yours. You held up your end of the bargain.

I totally agree with Ceepa! Your friend knew the situation
and she gave you a $200 shopping allowance. She now owes
you $200. End of story.

If she doesn't want the 3 outfits, then she can recoup her money
by selling them on Ebay, etc.

I would still consider this friendship over even if you do finally
get your full $200 from her. It would really tick me off that she
was trying to screw me over.

Melanie
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I think Jen's advice is right on.

I'm sorry. If you clearly made it known these were final sale, what she did was not very nice at all. For lack of a better term, you don't screw a friend like that.

denna
01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Ugh, it is awful when favors come back to bite you in the a**! Later today or tomorrow, give her a call and explain that the outfits cannot be returned and that you cannot afford to absorb the $85 shortfall. Suggest that she sell the unwanted outfits on eBay, or, if you are willing, offer to post them on the BBB swap. HTH!

ITA. It really stinks that she is putting you and your friendship in this situation. You did *her* a favor. Sorry it backfired.

kellij
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
What a bizarre story. What in the world was she thinking that you would do with some random clothes in the wrong size? It's not like they wouldn't work at all for her, she just didn't like them. She is livin' in crazy world. I mean, she thought you would do her the favor of taking the time to pick out clothes, front the money, drag them over to her and then just let her pay for the ones she wanted. I would also ask her what she thinks you should do with the clothes that she doesn't want. How awkward. Maybe she didn't understand that you cannot return them.

Let us know what happens in Crazy Ville!

Kelli

ellies mom
01-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I think it is ridiculous for her to expect you to eat $85 worth of clothes you can't use when you were upfront about no returns. I can't even believe she would ask it of you. In my world, unless she changed her mind and came up with the full $200, the friendship would be over because I couldn't be friends with someone who would think that is OK.

vludmilla
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I think Kelli is right on...Crazy 'Ville. Is this friend incredibly self-centered? I have to imagine she is, how else could she act like this. Frankly, even if she misunderstood and thought they could be returned, wouldn't she think it was HER responsibility to return them and not YOURS? I don't know if anything could really "fix" this friendship for me.
Good luck though with whatever you decide to do.

VClute
01-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Yuck. This situations sucks so bad. And this is why I often lie to my friends that call and ask what I'm doing. I don't tell ANYone if I'm headed to a consignment sale. Otherwise, I end up with a list of all kinds of things to look for, and disappointed looks when what I pick up doesn't meet their standards... sigh...

lisams
01-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Wow, I don't know what I'd do.

You'll have to update us. I'm really hoping your friend realizes she screwed up and pays you for the clothes and appologizes. That just stinks.

Kungjo
01-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Duplicate post

Kungjo
01-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry to see your friendship strained or ruined by this. It's unfortunate, but I totally think that your friend is taking advantage of you. When she asked you to pick up the outfits, you had already told her that it was final sale and you couldn't bring them back to be returned or exchanged. What part of final didn't she understand? She needs to pay you the full $200 whether she liked the outfits or not because she had agreed to the terms. I would consider the friendship ruined and insist that she pay you the full $200. Tell her that she can ebay them or something. It's her problem. If she won't pay you for the full amount, you can make a choice to either give her the ones she wants and take the $115 or don't give her any of the outfits at all. Personally, I would take all the outfits back if she won't pay the full amount and ebay or craigslist them. Why should she get a deal on those outfits and take total advantage or you? That stinks. She's not a very good friend.

Mirthful
01-15-2008, 08:02 AM
I think she's being a horrible friend. =) But, I may be biased because I had a similar situation happen to me - I was going out of town to a place with outlets and a friend asked me to look for something. We discussed that it couldn't be returned because I wasn't going to go back there and she agreed. Unfortunately, the item she asked me to pick up wasn't like it looked like online and she got upset about the cost. I'm sorry to say that our friendship hasn't been the same since.
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope you'll update us and let us know what ultimately happened!

Pennylane
01-15-2008, 09:43 AM
So my friend had her DH call me last night and tell me that she just did not think it was fair for me to ask her to pay for outfits that she was not happy with. I told him that she had asked me to pick out $200.00 worth of clothes for her girls and that is what I did, after explaining to her it was a final sale. Her DH said that they could not afford to spend that kind of money on clothes right now anyway and she would be returning all the clothes to me!

I guess I am just out a friend and $ 200.00. Chalk it up to another lesson learned. I am just so tired of going out of my way to help people and try to be a good person. Seems like I just keep getting the shaft. She was not that great of a friend, but our girls had fun together when we got together and I know my DD will ask why we don't hang out with them anymore.

Thanks for all your responses. I know that I am better off without her as a friend anyway, but it just stinks that this happened.

Ann

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Here I was hoping that the dh would assume some responsibility once he heard the stories but they both sound like jerks to me. I am so sorry. :(

Beth

o_mom
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow. Just wow. I was hoping the DH would take the high road, in some form. I hope you can make back your money on eBay/CL.

kcandz
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
That is terrible. Why is the woman saying she can afford to spend $200 and the husband says they can't afford anything?

I echo the PP that say you may be able to recoup some your costs on ebay, if you do that kind of thing. Regarding your DD, not sure of her age but stalling for a while might help lessen the blow of not seeing the girl for playdates, i.e. occasionally saying "oh we have to make plans soon with so-and-so" and saying they are busy. It seems kinder way to go if your DD can't understand the subtleties of what happened between the moms.

LarsMal
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm late to this thread, but WOW! I cannot believe that A) She had her DH call you (what is she, 12?) and B) He said they can't afford any of it. I'm guessing she got in "touble" when she told him the story. She probably thought he was going to be on her side and tell her that she should only pay the 115, but they he got on her for spending any at all. I'm guessing he told her to call you and tell you she couldn't take any of it, but she was too embarrassed and made him do it instead. (or at least that's the way I would've have written it in my novel/soap/made for TV movie!!!). That is really crappy of them not to pay for any of it.

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I really hope you are able to recoup some of the money through Ebay or other options. Do you have any of those second-hand type stores in your area that buy used clothes? That might be another option.

Hugs and good luck!

mamicka
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
What a piece of work - times 2. They both sound like pretty self-centered incosiderate people. Even if what her DH says is true about not being able to afford any of it - his DW was the one who made a mistake, not you. They should be the ones to pay for learning their lesson.

Hope you're able to recoup all your money.

kijip
01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
OMG. That is a lousy thing for her and her husband to do. She spent the $200 when she asked you to buy $200 worth of stuff, at this point it is not a matter of if they can afford it. She should have held up her end of the bargain. I would have asked him if he thought you could afford to spend $200 on stuff you can't return that his wife asked you to pick out.

When she returns the clothes, I think I would have a hard time not saying something mean.

Kungjo
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Wow! That sucks. I thought that her DH would at least honor the commitment his wife made. It doesn't matter if they could afford it or not. She authorized and asked you to make the purchase on her behalf. You shouldn't be out any money for her mistake. He should have just sucked it up since it was the right thing to do.

When she comes to drop off the clothes, I would make sure that she gives you everything back and then say good bye and good riddance.

lisams
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
It just gets worse. Yeah, I'd say that friendship is over, what kind of friend would do that? I'm feeling a little evil, maybe you could send her the link to this thread! :angry-smiley-005: Does she not get the fact that now you're stuck with clothes you can't use and you're out $200?

I'm sorry. This whole situation is crappy.

kellij
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
My mouth fell open and I gasped when I read that her husband called you. WOW! They are horrible. How can they just stick you with the clothes that she asked you to get? I would call the boutique, tell them the story and ask if there is any way they would consider letting you return them. Also, I know everyone has suggested ebay, but there are also TONS of yahoo groups where people sell clothes. That way you wouldn't have to pay any fees, or be out any money and you don't have to gamble on how much you can sell them for.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Kelli

dr mom
01-15-2008, 09:05 PM
What a jerk! I'd cut loose that "friend" and move on - she was the one who "assured [you] that our tastes were so similiar that she would love whatever [you] picked out" and even gave you a budget, then reneged on the deal. I don't think I'd be able to move past it and salvage the friendship, not after being taken advantage of that way.

Come check out the BBB swap on yahoo groups, it sounds like you found some fantastic bargains, and you will probably be able to sell these outfits and get most or all of your $200 back...plus make some BBB mamas happy. WE will certainly appreciate the deals you found, even if your ex-friend didn't! :)

npace19147
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
That is just awful. How do people like this live with themselves?

I second Cindy - come post them on BBB swap, stuff moves fast there!

Corie
01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Ann,

I could really use a good friend! Why don't you move here? :)
I think our girls are the same age too. Both started kindergarten
this year.

It's perfect! :)

vludmilla
01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Ann,
I am SO sorry for you. This awful woman is no one's friend. She is way too self-centered and her husband is just as bad. I really hope you can get your money back in some way.
Best of luck to you.

supercalifragilous
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I just came into this post - What a crappy "friend." And what a coward to have her DH call your DH! I cannot respect passive-aggressive types like that who now reneg on the whole deal.

Since your friendship is officially over (I think her DH calling was the final nail in that coffin), I think you should hold her to the $200 she owes you.

Like the OP said, whether she likes the clothes or not, she basically had a verbal contract with you after knowing all the nonrefundable details, giving you an allowance of $200. Whether she likes the clothes or not is besides the point. She owes you $200, plain and simple. What she chooses to do with those clothes after the fact is her decision.

KBecks
01-15-2008, 10:32 PM
They are horrible people. I would get the clothes back and then tell her that your friendship is over because she screwed you and is untrustworthy. ETA: I would get the clothes back ASAP so you are not dealing with a liar AND a thief.

Then sell the clothes, yes do it through BBB swap or something or ask at Kids Wear what are the best ways to sell them. I hope you make the $200 and then some for the crap you have had to deal with.

Corie
01-15-2008, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=KBecks]They are horrible people. I would get the clothes back and then tell her that your friendship is over because she screwed you and is untrustworthy.QUOTE]

Most definitely!

This friendship would not be over until I had it out with her.
I would have several things that I would need to
say to her and why she was no longer my friend.

bubbaray
01-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow. I'm shocked.

Sure, you could go to Small Claims court, but you have to consider whether you want this person to continue to be in your life, even in a negative way, KWIM? Going to court, for a layperson, is quite stressful. I think you have had more than enough stress over this incident. Personally (not professionally), I would file under life lessons learned, try to swap/sell the clothes and tell that women when she returns the clothes that you never want her to darken your doorstep ever again. Then move on.

You deserve better.

HTH

Globetrotter
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
This is NUTS, seriously. Good riddance to her! Geez. I think you should say something to her AFTER she returns the clothes.

You should be able to sell them and recoup your costs. Sounds like she got into trouble with the hubby when she complained about the situation!

I have one friend who buys stuff for me when she travels. I usually give her leeway to choose something, except with clothes (I am picky so I specify colors, etc...) It works out well as our tastes are very similar but once in a while I may not love an item. However, I just take it anyway since I made a deal. I think it's only fair...

Kris

Melanie
01-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Oh my, COWARD INDEED! Obviously you didn't realize you should have actually called and asked HER HUSBAND if they wanted you to pick up any deals for them. They are horrible selfish people. They know you will be out the $200 and do not care. It's not about $200 or clothes. Can you imagine if it was something that really was important?

Good Riddance! I'm glad you found out now what kind of people they are. I'm sure it must really hurt, still, and I'm sorry.

Hopefully you'll get some takers on SWAP to get some of those boutique clothes off of your hands.

The b-tchy part of me would call around to all your other friends offering the clothes for sale since she went back on the deal. I know, it's not the high road, but wouldn't it be tempting?

crayonblue
01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Ugh, what an awful situation! My only hope is that you get a whopping amount for the clothes on ebay or wherever you sell them!

Pennylane
01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
So I go out to get my DD off the bus yesterday and she has left a shopping bag with all but 2 of the outfits in it on my front porch! She included a check for the 2 items she kept!!! That probably p!ssed me off more than anything. She also left a note saying that she could not believe that I was going to let this ruin our friendship and I must not have been that great of a friend to begin with!

I just love how she has totally turned this around to make it look like I am the bad guy. As far as I'm concerned it's over. I don't like to argue with people, especially people you can't reason with. I just will never, ever speak to her again.

On a positive note, a mom at preschool wants most of the clothes. So atleast I'm not going to be out much money.

I don't think we are going to be moving anytime soon Corie, but thanks for the offer! Plus I think it's too cold up north for me :)

Thanks again for all the support!

Ann

firstbaby
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
They are seriously awful. Just awful.

It is almost comical that after her DH tells you that she'll return everything, she doesn't honor THAT and still bullies you into taking what she doesn't want. What a piece of work. They are set up to teach their DC how to be good citizens for sure.

kristenk
01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I've been reading this thread over the past couple of days and haven't responded b/c everyone has been saying the same thing I would! When I read Update #2, though, I HAD to say something.

Would you please, please, please call her husband and ask him to return the 2 outfits she kept? Please? Yes, that would be incredibly childish and stooping to her level, but I would just love it! :D

I can't believe her nerve dropping the clothes off on your porch and KEEPING two of the outfits.:32: Yes, she paid for them, but I really don't like the idea of her "shopping" at the Pennylane boutique. And to try to turn this around on you! That's ridiculous. The whole thing is ridiculous, of course, but that?! Aaarrrggghhhhh.

Melanie
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
LOL. Oh, ITA, I think you should find a way to tell on her to her husband that she kept two outfits. If she's going to pull him into it like that, why not you.

*snicker*

What a piece of work.

ilfaith
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
You could do $200 worth of damage to her car.

(Sorry...I've been listening to Carrie Underwood.)

You could make a point of warning any mutual friends not to do her any favors, lest they suffer the same consequences.

If you know any other children who might fit into the clothes now or in the future, you've got birthday/holiday presents taken care of.

And as others have suggested, ebay and consignment might get you back a fair amount of the money.

bisous
01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Really. You've given her every chance and every benefit of the doubt and she continues to abuse the good will that you once had between you. I can't believe she kept two of the outfits after all that!!!

This is what I would do. First I would give her a call. I would be firm but polite. I would say that you are very disappointed that she chose to keep two of the items as that was not in following with your original agreement. Because you were friends before you'd like to give her one more chance to do one of the following two things. Either return all of the clothes to you or give you $200. If she protests and says that the clothes didn't cost that much say too bad, she isn't honoring the original agreement so you shouldn't have to either.

Reiterate that the terms are a return of the clothing in like new condition or the balance of the $200 that she owes you. Let her know that you will be sending her a certified letter explaining exactly what has happened and that will give her three days to respond with either option. If you do not hear from her or receive either the clothing or the check in three business days, issue a subpoena. And go to court if you have to.

You have nothing to lose and are not looking to be vindictive or punitive at all. You are simply looking to recoup your original investment of $200 which is a lot of money. This is the tone that you need to keep in your conversation on the phone and at court if you need to go. I'll bet that she opts NOT to go to court. In any event you win. You either get all the money, or all the clothing to sell (and she doesn't get to take advantage of you!) or at the very least you get to confront your friend in a setting where she won't be able to hide behind her husband or merely drop anything off on your doorstep.

Incidentally, did she write a note to explain that she took two of the outfits? If so your case just got a little stronger.

SO this is what I would do. You can, of course, choose to handle it anyway you want. I'm so sorry it has to come to this. I had hoped that she would realize how unfair she was being and come around. She's not that kind of person and you have no need for that kind of friend at all.

Jen

Let us know what you end up doing.

anamika
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
On the lines of what Kristen said, I would call her DH and ask for the clothes back! I would be willing to lose a few dollars to make the point that she can't treat you like some boutique exclusive to her.
I would have been a bit forgiving if she had apologized and said that she could only afford those two and she was sorry for the fiasco. But to imply you're at fault just smacks of.... Actually, just makes me want to smack her! And I'm normally a very non-violent person.

MamaC
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Ok, after that 2nd update I just had to post, too. WTF?! People like this just burn me up!
I hate arguing with people, too...so just give us her email address & let us take care of it! >:)

But seriously, on the plus side, at least you've purged a negative person from your life before it cost you more than money. Karma works both ways and while her kookoocrazy selfish behavior will be paid for, your generousity will be, too. Hope you get that karma check soon :)

nov04
01-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I am so furious for you. What a nasty nasty woman.

May karma get her quickly!!!!!

julieakc
01-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm just dumbfounded by the whole situation too. I just can't imagine ever doing something like this person did.

I'd be tempted to take everything and drop it on her porch with an invoice showing the amount due. Oh and maybe also attaching a printout of all our replies so she knows how many people think how inappropriate her behavior was!

supercalifragilous
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
OMG, **everything** Bisous/Jen said -she worded it so well!! She tried to get the last word in the note. It doesn't sound like she'd have the cajones to talk to you on the phone since she got her DH to do her dirty work the first time around.

In a letter, you can avoid face-to-face confrontation (though personally I'd look forward to it) and know that you still got your point across. And I would definitely follow through on getting it certified; that way it will strengthen your case should she choose to ignore it and it proceed to small claims court.

At the very least, you should get the 2 outfits back - who knows, you probably could've actually MADE money by selling them on eBay instead of what she paid for it. After all she's done, she's assuming that you're still going to be nice and give it to her at cost. As per your original agreement, she owes you $200.

What a &itch. I hate people who try to turn things around and make you look like the bad guy. Don't let her get to you and don't let her win!

Good luck!

Pennylane
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I ended up calling her last night. Her DH answered the phone and said she was not available, how convenient. I told him that it was an all or nothing deal. Either she brings back the two outfits she kept or I was going to pursue other actions to get the full amount she owed me. He was very surprised that she had kept the two outfits and seemed pretty ticked about that, which made me laugh!

Anyway, my DH left for work at 7:30 this am and the outfits were in a bag on the porch!!

I just can't believe how this got so blown up and out of control, so childish and stupid.

Now it is done!! Like I mentioned before, I think everything is sold already. It was such great deals! She's going to regret it next winter when she is out buying all her clothes at full price!!

Ann

npace19147
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Good for you! Thanks for the update, what a satisfactory conclusion. She's out a friend and her DH is mad at her, and you've recouped your money. Sorry you had to go through this, but glad it worked out in the end.

Just sorry I'm not going to see the stuff on swap...now I'm totally curious what it all was! :)

Pennylane
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Nancy,

Oh, it is great outfits! A lot of two piece Le Top Outfits and another brand I can't remember. Cute dress like tops with leggings. They sale regular price for 58-65 dollars and I got them for $20.00. Some super cute casual outfits for next Christmas.

For my DS I got 6 Wes and Willy T's for 8.00 each. I love them, but hate to pay over 20.00 for them.

Trust me, it is her loss!!

Ann

ha98ed14
01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Congratulations! I think you handled it superbly.

You can take a little comfort in the fact that although you did get to tell her off, she probably did get balled out by her about her attempts to "disobey" him by keeping two outfits. I would feel bad for her for having a controlling husband, except for what she did to you!

Ceepa
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
You handled the situation really well. I hope you get all your money back and feel some satisfaction about unloading this person from your life.

-Ceepa

Piglet
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
YAY!! I have been thinking about this and you handled it beautifully - much better than I would have handled it, LOL. You not only did her such a big favour but handled the mess in such a classy manner. I am happy that you are recouping your costs and that she comes off so very childish.

kozachka
01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I know I am late to this thread but after having read it in its entirety, all I can say is WOW... And thanks for reminding me that ii you do a favor that involves money, get them upfront. Or don't do a favor.

I buy things for people quite regularly whenever I come to the States, and the worst I've been taken advantage of is when a girl has bought 3 pairs of shoes that I than had to bring over instead of one. I know she wears a large size and is difficult to fit and Zappos has a great selection of shoes but I no longer offer to bring her something, especially shoes. Lesson learned.

Melanie
01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I ended up calling her last night. Her DH answered the phone and said she was not available, how convenient. I told him that it was an all or nothing deal. Either she brings back the two outfits she kept or I was going to pursue other actions to get the full amount she owed me. He was very surprised that she had kept the two outfits and seemed pretty ticked about that, which made me laugh!

Hee, makes me laugh, too. Good for you, I think you handled it well.

bisous
01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
It sounds like everything worked out great! I'm so glad you got all of the clothing back and it sounds like you will recoup costs no problem!

kijip
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Ha! Sounds like she may have been trying to hide the outfits from him. Kinda sad that she needs to hide that stuff from him...if she had just paid you upfront she would have got what seh wanted to keep AND made a profit selling the extras that she changed her mind on. She totally messed it up for herself. ;)