PDA

View Full Version : Cons of the Regent?

mommy_someday
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
In the regent vs. nautilus thread, Joolsplus2 mentioned something about a recline bar making the Regent bulkier. This is the seat I'm considering getting for DS (39", 39 lbs, 3yo) and I'm just wondering what the other drawbacks to the seat are. I've heard that it's a behemoth and that it's not approved for FAA travel, but that's pretty much all I know. If it makes any difference, I have an '04 Odyssey and DS rides in one of the middle captain's chairs.

Jools, if you have time, could you elaborate more on what the recline bar is? Thanks!

schums
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Not Jools, but the recline bar is U-shaped piece of metal that sticks out of the back of the Regent near the bottom. It prevents the back of the car seat from leaning completely up against the seat in the car. It pushes the front of seat out, making the Regent more reclined. I think they made it mandatory because it helped with head excursion (Jools?). It shouldn't cause any problems for you in your van, but in a car with less leg room in the back seat, it can eat up a couple of extra inches of leg space.

Here's a link to a demo (hopefully) from the Britax web site. If you click on Versa Tether (so the seat turns around), you can see the black recline bar at the bottom of the seat. http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_outline_index.asp?page_id=35783160

FWIW, I LOVE this seat, as do DD and DS (who's in a Husky -- slightly older version of the Regent)

HTH,

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
YEs the REGENT IS BIG.. WE have 2 REGENTS and our 4.5 yo, 40 lb, 41.5 tall daughter loves it.. If you install the REGENT CORRECTLY it really isn't that bad... They are safe and very roomy and very easy to load child in and out of .. What I lOVE ABOUT IT is the fact that she can stay in this carseat until she is big enough to ride in a vehicle seat.

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines.

SO HOPE THIS HELPS.. I would definitly see if you can find a store that sells and trying installing in your car before buying.. I am not sure how it would fit in a captains chair??