PDA

View Full Version : Rearfacing Height Limits

Wife_and_mommy
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I just need to get some clarification on the rf height limits. I recall reading here that there needed to be one inch of shell above dc's head for safety.

I found this info at car-safety.org:
For a rear-facing convertible seat, the child is too tall when the top of their head is at the level of the top of the shell.

The online Britax MA manual says this:
• Rear-Facing Strap Height: Harness straps should be located in the nearest slot at or below the child’s shoulder.
• Forward-Facing Strap Height: Harness straps should be located in the nearest slot at or above the child’s shoulder.
If harness height is okay, continue using child restraint without adjustment. . If harness height requires adjustment, refer to Adjusting Harness Height on page 31.
IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds (29.5 kg).

Hopefully this will be the end-all RF height thread. :)

Thank you for any insight/info.

Joolsplus2
01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I wish it were the end. However, the Britax FAQ says this now:

Q. Is there a standing height limit for rear-facing?

A. Refer to your product user guide for the appropriate height and weight ranges for your child seat.

And most new manuals now adhere to the 'outgrown rearfacing with the weight limit is reached or when the head is one inch from the top of the seatback'.

However, as there have been no official recalls or consumer advisories about this on any seat except the Companion, you may continue to do what your manual says (most still specify tops of ears even with top of seatback).

All other brands (that I know of) now follow the one-inch rule, too, but manuals should always be read and followed :) It's always prudent not to go over the top of the seatback...the higher the head goes, the more theoretical injury of neck over extension or head striking other parts of the vehicle interior when the seat rotates downward in the beginning of the crash.
:)

o_mom
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I think the first, most important, rule is follow the manual that came with your seat.

Beyond that, most infant seats say one inch from the top. Convertibles vary significantly with some saying one inch, some saying even with the top and Britax saying tops of the ears.