PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Garage Sale or Goodwill?

MamaMolly
01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm stuck! I've been reading and following the plan from Peter Walsh's book "It's All Too Much". I now have a huge pile of stuff in my basement that is either headed for a garage sale or to charity and I can't make up my mind what to do.

On the one hand, we could really use the money from a garage sale. Even if we price everything at $1 per item we'd still make a lot. We have moved 6 times in 10 years and even though I've unloaded bus loads to charity with each move, we still have another stack to go. And let me add that I'm getting some pressure from DH to sell the stuff instead of giving it away. So a garage sale would make him happy, too.

I'm one of those weirdos who like to have a garage sale. I've done 3 sales before, but never with kids. I think DH would most likely take DD for the day and stay out from underfoot. Which is kind of not good and not bad. He won't really help but he won't really bug me either. We live in a townhouse off of a side street so the only way to really get traffic would be to have a community sale, which would mean volunteering to organize it (which I've assisted with once but have not done on my own).

It also means waiting for spring, with a massive pile in my basement that I have to step around and over every day to get to the laundry and freezer. The pile is already on my nerves and stresses me out. But at the end of the day, I'd have some cash.

On the other hand, there would be taking it to charity which would free up a lot of space in my basement and make everyday life a little smoother. Unfortunately the Salvation Army and Goodwill drop off sites are pretty far away so it means loading up the car (over and over) and driving the stuff out there (over and over). And I seriously doubt DH will help with loading up the car. He hasn't done it in the past, what usually happens is that I get so fed up with the piles that I work myself into a snit and do it myself.

So I'm looking at choosing between a fairly instant but labor intensive donation or a frustrating wait with a financially rewarding garage sale. Either way I go I will have a boatload of work on my hands so I guess I'm asking if the wait would be worth the cash to you.

What would you do?

kijip
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Would any of the stuff maybe sell on Craigslist and then you could donate the rest? That is how I have cleared things out in the winter when i needed both the space and the money.

HallsofVA
01-15-2008, 12:59 AM
We have endless numbers of charities that come through our neighborhood and make pickups at our house. For some of them, at least, you can even go on-line to their website and schedule a pickup (or at least find when they'll be in your neighborhood. All we have to do is leave the stuff out front on a designated or agreed-upon day (usually with labels) and they come pick it up and leave the tax receipt. Do you have any charities by you that could come pick it up? I get your point about not wanting to make multiple trips to give stuff away.

I keep looking at our excess stuff and wondering the same thing. HOw to get rid of it. My DH is very anti-garage sale, so he'd be no help. For some of the larger stuff, craigslist seems like it might be a good way to begin. And we have a very active freecycle community if there are things you just want to give away.

ha98ed14
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I have the answer to all your problems: FREECYCLE! www.freecycle.org

Have you heard of this? It is a nationwide network, kinda like Craigs List in that every city/ metro area has their own site, but instead of selling stuff, people are giving it away, but the person who "gets it' has to come to you to pick it up. So no driving to anywhere with loads and loads.

MamaMolly
01-15-2008, 01:07 AM
I've thought about Craigslist but to be honest I think most of this stuff is not worth the effort. I'm also active on my local Freecycle and I know that folks would take the stuff but the massive amount to get rid of seems daunting.

As it happens, I have a collection notice for the Vietnam Vets sitting on the desk beside me....hmmmm...the only reason I thought I might not want to do that is because I can't help to think 'oh dear God what if they don't show up?? I have to haul that crap back into my house!!!'

Good ideas, and you have all given me something to think about!

o_mom
01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I've thought about Craigslist but to be honest I think most of this stuff is not worth the effort. I'm also active on my local Freecycle and I know that folks would take the stuff but the massive amount to get rid of seems daunting.

As it happens, I have a collection notice for the Vietnam Vets sitting on the desk beside me....hmmmm...the only reason I thought I might not want to do that is because I can't help to think 'oh dear God what if they don't show up?? I have to haul that crap back into my house!!!'

Good ideas, and you have all given me something to think about!

All the pick up charities we have used have been very good about getting stuff when they say they will. HOWEVER - make sure you have NOTHING else at all on the porch the day of the pickup. A poster here had several large/expensive yard toys (Cozy Coupe, Kettler, etc) taken by a charity drivers even though there were specific instructions to only take one small bag. She had to get the police involved and I'm not sure if she ever got the money back for them.

Momof3Labs
01-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Depends on what you have. IME, adult clothing and shoes are not worth the effort to put in a garage sale. Baby stuff, toys, etc, seems to do quite well.

We also have a big basement pile, and I plan to separate out the adult clothing to donate, and price the rest of the stuff for our community garage sale this summer.

I don't like most of the pick-up-at-your-house charities. Most of them have names similar to charities with good reputations, but are run by folks like o_mom describes (search the bitching post for the thread if you have time). I also know that most of those places sell their stuff by the truckload to for-profit thrift stores, so the "charity" is probably getting less money for your stuff than you think.

Locally, I like to donate to a humane society thrift store or a thrift store that supports battered women (and allows those women to shop free in the store, then sells the rest of the merchandise). Are there any options like that closer to your house?