PDA

View Full Version : Need y'alls help!

JGib
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I posted this over in the Toddler Bargain section also, but felt I would post over here, too, just in case some folks don't go over to that board:

Ok, here I am AGAIN! Sorry to continuously bug you folks. Here is my situation:
My daughter is just ounces away from outgrowing her Graco Snugride. I am going to move her to my son's Britax Boulevard and buy him a new seat. I was really hoping to have to buy just ONE more seat. My son is 2 yrs 3 months old, 32 lbs, and 36" tall(long torso...about 16-17" from floor to shoulders when sitting). He is more the size of a 3 year old. I am VERY attracted to the SafeGuard Go since it has the adjustable 5 pt harness at shoulders, is a smaller footprint (not the behemoth like the Boulevard), and can be converted to backless booster when the 5 pt harness is outgrown. But it seems others think the seat would not be as safe/protective as a seat with a shell. SOOOOOOO...what other seats for my son would you suggest? I would like it to not be a behemoth and keep him in a 5pt harness as long as possible (please keep in mind his long torso).

ckleist
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
You're son as probably at a point where his torso won't grow much taller, but his legs will be getting longer. I know my almost 5 year old has been in the strap position for like 2 years now. My 3 year 3 month old son is 39" tall and 35 lbs while my almost 5 year old is 41" tall and 35 lbs, but sitting, they are exactly the same height, the older one just has longer legs. Currently they are the the 2nd from top strap position in their Britax Marathons. I'm looking for a new carseat because they have outgrown the one in grandma's car so I think I'll give her one of the marathons and get a larger combination seat for my car to last until they have reached the point they don't need to be in carseats or boosters anymore.

BTW, I don't think toddler bargains gets much traffic.

Joolsplus2
01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
It's not time to be looking forward to the last seat just yet... kids need to be in boosters till usually about age 10, and seats expire in 6 years, so you have several more to go :). The Go is a very uncomfortable seat for everyday use (great for travel, can't beat it's compact size!), but really it's not comfy for sleeping, the harness isn't that easy to use, and you'll want a highback booster later (decreases head injury in side impacts by a substantial 70%). I'd probably look at a Sunshine Kids Radian (taller top slots than the Marathon, much lower profile, easier to climb into, folds for travel, even) or a Graco Nautilus, at Walmart if you can find one, for $150 (tall top slots, harnesses to 65, becomes a booster later, but you'll probably hand it down to baby in a couple years and still get a nicer booster for the big guy later). Or just get the baby her own Marathon or Boulevard and let him stay in his nice big comfy seat till he's too big at 5 ish and get him a nice booster then...

:)

JGib
01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
What is the difference between the Radian and Radian 80 (besides the weight limit listed)? Is the Radian 80 worth that much more?

Do you think of the Graco Nautilus as being as good as the Radian?

Joolsplus2
01-16-2008, 08:33 AM
The Covers are supposedly nicer and there's extra padding on the RN 80. Probably those are best for newborns, so eh, skip it. (we love our RN 65, no issues with lack of padding or cover quality at all!)
The Radian is a higher quality seat, but the Nautilus is taller and may install easier in more cars :)

JGib
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Julie--Do you happen to know if the Radian will install well using a seat belt in the Acura MDX (2005) in the second row, outboard position behind driver? Or do you know how I can find out? I will be using the middle seat and outboard Latch connectors for my daughters seat RF, so would not be able to use the Latch for my son's seat.

Momof3Labs
01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Julie--Do you happen to know if the Radian will install well using a seat belt in the Acura MDX (2005) in the second row, outboard position behind driver? Or do you know how I can find out? I will be using the middle seat and outboard Latch connectors for my daughters seat RF, so would not be able to use the Latch for my son's seat.

Does your car and your car seat manual allow you to create a middle LATCH position with the outboard LATCH connectors? If it is not explicitly allowed in BOTH manuals, then you MUST use the seat belt to install a seat in the middle position.

You can order a Radian from target.com, try it in your car, and return it to your local Target store if it doesn't work for you.

Joolsplus2
01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Good question, and no, you cannot use LATCH in the middle of that car. You also want to put the baby outboard and the forward facing child in the center when possible. A rearfacing seat is SO much more protective than a forward facing seat, that they are ok by the door, but a forward facing child should be in the middle whenever possible...in all practical measures, though, ANY seat in the back is remarkably safe, and you can also put them both outboard if it's easiest with LATCH and also you need to keep them separated..... I just don't want you to think a baby must always automatically be the kid in the center.

tny915
01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
You also want to put the baby outboard and the forward facing child in the center when possible. A rearfacing seat is SO much more protective than a forward facing seat, that they are ok by the door, but a forward facing child should be in the middle whenever possible...in all practical measures, though, ANY seat in the back is remarkably safe, and you can also put them both outboard if it's easiest with LATCH and also you need to keep them separated..... I just don't want you to think a baby must always automatically be the kid in the center.

Thanks for this! I'd been planning on putting the baby in the middle, purely due to the fact that she'll be a baby and needed the extra protection of being in the middle. Will be opening up to other configurations now.

JGib
01-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Out of curiosity, why do I need to keep them separated? (ie. why can't I put one seat in the middle and one outboard?) Is it a car seat safety issue? Or is it just so they don't start annoying each other?

o_mom
01-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Out of curiosity, why do I need to keep them separated? (ie. why can't I put one seat in the middle and one outboard?) Is it a car seat safety issue? Or is it just so they don't start annoying each other?

Because toddler fingers and infant eyes are not always a good mix ;)

Really, if they do fine next to each other, it's perfectly safe if the seats fit. It may be easier to have them both outboard for buckling, installing, etc., but center and outboard are fine, too.

KrisM
01-16-2008, 06:21 PM

I don't think anyone said you need to keep them separated. Mine are next to each other. DS is FF in the middle and DD is RF behind the passenger seat. Baby #3 will be RF behind the driver, assuming I can cram them all in this car!

We had one or two problems at the very beginning, but after a month or so, they'd fall asleep holding hands. So cute :).

Joolsplus2
01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I left the big 'if' out of 'you need to keep them separated'...sorry!!!! Yeah, sometimes toddlers are 'helpful' and 'loving' in a way that you don't want them to be ("Get that toy out of the baby's mouth, please, darling..." ;) )

bubbaray
01-16-2008, 10:20 PM

OK, I'm confused. Are you going to put the Radian RFg in the center? If so, you MUST use the seatbelt because Honda/Acura does NOT allow you "borrow" the LATCH connector from the outboard position.

You can use the LATCH connectors outboard for your son's seat. You don't have to, though -- if you want, you can install that seat with belts too. AND, once your son is over 40lbs, you MUST install any seat in a Honda/Acura with belts -- Honda does not permit the use of LATCH over 40lbs, regardless of what the child restraint says.

ETA: ITA that it would be best to keep the FFg child (your son) in the center of the vehicle.... Regardless of which child is in the center position you MUST install whatever child restraint via belts.

HTH

JGib
01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
No, I would put the Britax Boulevard RFing in the middle. Unfortunately it cannot go behind the passenger or driver seat because then the seat it is behind is dangerously close to the dash board. The Radian would be for my son, who would be FFing. I'm going to try the Britax behind the passenger seat again to see if I can make any sort of recline adjustments, but I doubt I can make it so the passenger seat is useable if I put it behind it.

I did understand that I can't use latch in the middle seat.

It's a little irritating and disturbing because I called the Acura dealership I bought my car at and asked what the weight load for the latch was. The guy told me 350 lbs!!! I told him I was asking for the sake of child seats and even said that many cars only allow latch to be used up to a child being 40 lbs, but wanted to check. He then just said, "you shouldn't have a problem".

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-17-2008, 02:47 AM
It's a little irritating and disturbing because I called the Acura dealership I bought my car at and asked what the weight load for the latch was. The guy told me 350 lbs!!! I told him I was asking for the sake of child seats and even said that many cars only allow latch to be used up to a child being 40 lbs, but wanted to check. He then just said, "you shouldn't have a problem".

I have not found many people at car dealerships who know anything about car seats. I remember someone writing a post about a salesman at a dealership who had two young kids but did not know about latch or the top tether. Read the manual, it is in there loud and clear!!

Joolsplus2
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
The BV should easily fit outboard RF. It takes up no more space than an infant seat, front-to-back. Just pull the base away from the seat bight an inch or two and then really push down on the seat right above the adjuster as you tighten up the LATCH or seatbelt (it'll be TOO upright, you can then gently do the top tether with the Swedish method to get it into a comfortable recline for her). Radian in the middle with the seatbelt and top tether, and you'll be good to go.

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Here is some info on comparing 5 point harness seats and info on why it is safer to keep your child in a 5 point harness:

The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9".

This is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.

Here is link to website this quote came from:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

HERE ARE SOME COMPARISONS OF SEAT SIZE,WEIGHT, HEIGHT that are 5 point harness seats:

GRACO CARGO
Min child weight 20 lbs.
Max child weight 100 lbs.
Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 20 lbs.
Max child weight - Forward facing mode 100 lbs.
Max harness weight capacity 40 lbs.
Minimum weight for booster mode 30 lbs.
Min child height 27"
Max child height 43"
Min child height - Forward facing mode 27"
Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 43"
Min height for booster use 35"

Car seat dimensions
Product weight 8.5 lbs.
Seat Base / Foot Width 17"
Seat height 27"
Interior seat width 12"
Interior seat back height 26"
Bottom to lowest harness slot 10"
Bottom to highest harness slot 14.5"

On the REGENT:

Product weight 26.1 lbs.
Seat Base / Foot Width 21.5"
Seat height 30"
Interior seat width 14"
Interior seat back height 28"
Bottom to lowest harness slot 11.5"
Bottom to highest harness slot 20"
Min child weight 22 lbs.
Max child weight 80 lbs.
Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 22 lbs.
Max child weight - Forward facing mode 80 lbs.
Max harness weight capacity 80 lbs.
Minimum weight for booster mode n/a
Min child height 19"
Max child height 53"
Min child height - Forward facing mode 19"
Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 53"
Min height for booster use n/a
Exterior Seat Depth 22"

My daughter loves her Regent and so do I. She will stay in this seat till she outgrows. Yes it is big. But it is roomy and comfortable and she can stay in this till she is big enough to hopefully sit in the vehicle seat and use vehicle belt.

On the SAFEGUARD:

Product weight 24 lbs.
Seat Base / Foot Width 19"
Seat height 28"
Bottom to lowest harness slot 12.5"
Bottom to highest harness slot 19"
Min child weight 22 lbs.
Max child weight 65 lbs.
Min child weight - Forward Facing mode 22 lbs.
Max child weight - Forward facing mode 65 lbs.
Max harness weight capacity 65 lbs.
Minimum weight for booster mode 22 lbs.
Min child height 34"
Max child height 57"
Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 57"
Min height for booster use 34"
Max weight child be is 65 lbs. and max height is 57 inches.

Which I don't understand how they can say 4 inches more on max height than Regent when the Regent seat height is 2 inches taller than the safeguard?

RADIAN 80

Min child weight 5 lbs.
Max child weight 80 lbs.
Rear-facing minimum weight 5 lbs.
Max child weight - Rear Facing mode 33 lbs.
Max child weight - Forward facing mode 80 lbs.
Max harness weight capacity 80 lbs.
Min child height n/a
Max child height 49"
Min child height - Forward facing mode n/a
Max 5-pt harness child height capacity 49"
Min height for booster use n/a

Car seat dimensions

Product weight 20.5 lbs.
Seat Base / Foot Width 17"
Seat height 28.5"
Interior seat width 11.4"
Bottom to lowest harness slot 8"
Bottom to highest harness slot 18"
Seat weight (without base) 20.5 lbs.

RADIAN 65

CAR SEAT SPECS
Weight: 22 pounds
Min child weight 5 lbs.
Max child weight 65 lbs.
Max child height 53"
Max child weight - Rear Facing mode 33 lbs.
Max harness weight capacity 65 lbs.

CAR SEAT DIMENSIONS
Product weight 22 lbs.
Width 17"
Seat Base width 14.5"
Height 28.5"
Interior seat width 10"
Bottom to lowest harness slot 8"
Bottom to highest harness slot 16"

ON THE COSCO APEX 65

LATCH equipped for forward-facing 22-65 lbs.
• High-back belt-positioning booster 40-100 lbs. and up to 57” in height
• 5-point internal harness system
• Up-front harness adjustment
• 3-position adjustable headrest
• Detachable cup holder
• Toddler insert
• Fixed padded armrests

SO If you are wanting to keep your child in a 5 point harness.. AS LONG AS POSSIBLE These are good choices...

REGENT is to 80 lbs
Safeguard is to 65 lbs
Radian is to 80 lbs
GRACO CARGO is to 40 lbs
COSCO APEX 65 is to 65 lbs

JGib
01-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Just a quick question about the Radian 65 and Radian 80. If I am understanding correctly, they are the exact same carseat at the core skeleton. Assuming the child does not outgrow the height beforehand, could you use the Radian 65 with a child up to 80 lbs? If not, why not? (ie. What actually makes the Radian 80 able to handle an 80 lb child instead of just up to a 65 lb child? Why couldn't the Radian 65 handle an 80 lb child? Again, assuming height restriction is not violated.)

I'm pretty sure my child, who is taller than average, will outgrow either Radian before he reaches 80 lbs since the harness slots are exactly the same height in each one. So, I'm not planning to abuse the stated max weight limit of the Radian 65 if I get it. I was just wondering.

o_mom
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Just a quick question about the Radian 65 and Radian 80. If I am understanding correctly, they are the exact same carseat at the core skeleton. Assuming the child does not outgrow the height beforehand, could you use the Radian 65 with a child up to 80 lbs? If not, why not? (ie. What actually makes the Radian 80 able to handle an 80 lb child instead of just up to a 65 lb child? Why couldn't the Radian 65 handle an 80 lb child? Again, assuming height restriction is not violated.)

I'm pretty sure my child, who is taller than average, will outgrow either Radian before he reaches 80 lbs since the harness slots are exactly the same height in each one. So, I'm not planning to abuse the stated max weight limit of the Radian 65 if I get it. I was just wondering.

You should not use the 65 past 65 lbs. Not directed at you in particular, but for anyone reading this thread. :)

I don't think anyone has ever had a straight answer on if there are structural differences between the 65 and the 80 - some people from Sunshine Kids say there is a different structure and others have said there isn't. We do know that the top slots (and thus the height restrictions) are the same on both the 65 and the 80, which is what many people mean when they say the seats are the same.

Most kids will be too tall for the seat by 65 lbs, so for 90+% of kids the 80 offers no advantage. The covers are different and the 80 has infant padding, but the seat will probably expire before an infant gets to 80 lbs anyway:rolleye0014:

Joolsplus2
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I've known of about 2 kids that have benefitted from the RN 80... they are somewhat husky in their build (60+ pounds at age 5, and a shorter girl who's 8 and almost 65 pounds with an inch to grow in the seat)... 'Average' kids or slightly above, even are fine with the 65... Here's my 50th percentile dd in ours http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/BitsyRadian107 (56 pounds is an average 8 yo boy, 80 pounds is an average 10 year old, for reference... 65 is somewhere in between...my skinny 10 yo is just now 65 pounds!)

801kelle
01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I have not found many people at car dealerships who know anything about car seats. I remember someone writing a post about a salesman at a dealership who had two young kids but did not know about latch or the top tether. Read the manual, it is in there loud and clear!!

Here are two great websites I have found that talk about cars and their limits with latch and tether anchors:

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/LATCHApp_B_pg105.pdf

This should help!