PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seat for 5.5 year old

StantonHyde
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
DS is really outgrowing his Britax Marathon. He is 40 pounds and somewhere around 44". I think I want a booster that would convert to a backless booster. Or am I better with a more solid booster and then buying a backless later? I have the Graco turbo in DH's car because that is really just a back up. He likes it. He does not usually nap--we don't drive very long distances, but sometimes he will conk out--after skiing for instance. I don't mind paying 200-300 for a seat IF it is one I could use for at least 3 years or so. I have searched this site but it seems that many people end up with a FF 5 pt harness seat (like the Marathon we hve now) and we are beyond that. So what would recommend: Britax, Combi, Sunshine Kids??

TIA!!

ckleist
01-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Sort of in similar situation as you. My almost 5 year old has outgrown grandma's evenflo triumph and I'm trying to decide what to do. He is about 41" tall and 35 lbs. I have 2 Marathons and 1 Regent in dh's car. I'm thinking about giving a marathon to my mom and the other to my dh and taking his regent and maybe getting another regent or seat with similar features. My 3 year old is is 39" tall and 35 lbs, basically the same size as his big brother, just has shorter legs. The both have the straps in the same position, the 2nd from the top . The one complaint we have with the Marathon is that it doesn't seem to have much crotch room, my older son always tell me not to pinch his pee-pee when I strap him in, not that that has ever happened. From what I remember, the regent is a much roomier seat. I don't think my older ds is mature enough to sit in a booster, and I would like this to be our last car seat purchase if possible since we have spent a small fortune in car seats.

Joolsplus2
01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I'd concentrate on a really high quality high back booster right now, don't limit yourself to ones that become a no back (you could buy a good one at Kmart on sale for $10 later..the Cosco Auto Booster is a fantastic no back for older kids)...). Britax, Recaro, Jane, Maxi Cosi, and the Compass B510 are all designed and tested for side impact (there's no accepted standard for this, but they do ensure the head stays contained in the headwings during their own side impact crash testing...if you have curtain airbags it might not be so important, but if not, you probably do want the extra protection). The Graco Nautilus might also be workable, it's got taller top slots than the Marathon so you could harness a little longer (and pass it down to baby later to have a taller harnessing seat, particularly if any of your other seats are going to expire soon?....)

Momof3Labs
01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
My 5yo is 48+" tall and 50lbs, and he rides in a Regent with tons of room to grow (you'd easily get 3 years out of it, probably more), so you do have a 5pt option if you decide that you aren't past that stage after all. I prefer it since it feels so much safer for him than a booster. He does ride in a booster in my mom's car, and a Radian in DH's car (but not a lot of room to grow in the Radian).

801kelle
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
The NHTSA now recommends that children stay in appropriate car seats through 8 years, 80 pounds, or up to 4'9". Many states have amended their laws to follow these guidelines.

WE have 2 REGENTS and love love love...
Limits are: 53 inches tall and 80 lbs!!!!!!

Here is a website with good info on booster seats:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/boosterbasics.aspx

Here is a great video to watch that tells and shows why a 5 point harness is better than a booster seat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM

Here is a website that talks about benefits to 5 point harness:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

QUote from website above:

This is comparing a 5 pt harness booster car seat to a booster seat you use a vehicle seat belt with ..but still gets point across..

safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt.

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body

over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts

of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is

thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather

than being able to wiggle around, lean forward etc.