PDA

View Full Version : Any parents in the Central Florida area?

hallelujah
01-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi! I've lived in Orlando/Winter Park area almost my entire life, but just recently moved out to Davenport (exit on I-4 right after Disney). I was just told by someone in the Winter Park area about free pre-k, but I have spent almost 2 hours googling free pre-k in my area and am having no luck! There isn't even a MOPS group out here. I would really prefer for my son to go to a free pre-k offered by a church, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I have googled churches in Davenport, Clermont, Haines City-gone to every church that offers a website to see if it says anything about free pre-k, and I have obviously had no luck. I wouldn't mind driving a little ways (I drive into Orlando about 3 times a week), just so my son can get some socialization skills. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

jd11365
01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi! I've lived in Orlando/Winter Park area almost my entire life, but just recently moved out to Davenport (exit on I-4 right after Disney). I was just told by someone in the Winter Park area about free pre-k, but I have spent almost 2 hours googling free pre-k in my area and am having no luck! There isn't even a MOPS group out here. I would really prefer for my son to go to a free pre-k offered by a church, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I have googled churches in Davenport, Clermont, Haines City-gone to every church that offers a website to see if it says anything about free pre-k, and I have obviously had no luck. I wouldn't mind driving a little ways (I drive into Orlando about 3 times a week), just so my son can get some socialization skills. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Google VPK, which is what you are looking for. Most public schools provide it, as well as private. It is only provided for PreK-4. Feel free to PM me for more info.

hallelujah
01-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Well, that answered my question quickly. Unfortunately, my DS turns 4 tomorrow, so he is not elligible to start. I hope that means he can at least start in the fall of this year. Such a long ways away! We were at the playground the other day and he told me,"Mommy, no one wants to be my friend." It broke my heart and I swore that I would get him into something where he can make friends. It's hard, because I'm a SAHM, who doesn't know any other moms really, so what am I to do? Mommy and Daddy being his best friends just aren't cutting it for him anymore. :cry:

jd11365
01-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, that answered my question quickly. Unfortunately, my DS turns 4 tomorrow, so he is not elligible to start. I hope that means he can at least start in the fall of this year. Such a long ways away! We were at the playground the other day and he told me,"Mommy, no one wants to be my friend." It broke my heart and I swore that I would get him into something where he can make friends. It's hard, because I'm a SAHM, who doesn't know any other moms really, so what am I to do? Mommy and Daddy being his best friends just aren't cutting it for him anymore. :cry:

I'm not in your exact area, so I can't help with specifics, but I would go to your local park and start asking mommies about 3 year old preschools, which is what he would be in. You'd have to pay, but he'd have a great time and you'd meet other moms just from pick up and drop off.

Also, go to your local library's story time. I met my entire playgroup there over 4 years ago and we still meet every week. Good luck!

jenmcadams
01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
A lot of this may have changed since I lived in FL, but I wanted to let you know about our experience when I lived down in Naples. The first year of VPK in FL would have been my daughter's 4 year old preschool year -- we ended up moving before we could have taken advantage of it, but at the time, the spots for VPK were hard to get b/c a lot of preschools (especially small church-based ones) didn't meet the requirements and were choosing not to be part of the program. A lot of schools (including the non-denominational one my DD attended at a small Lutheran church) didn't feel the expense of qualifying for the program was worth it. It seemed like most of the places that were going to be participating were preschools at public schools (which were essentially limited to lower income folks) or full-time daycares where the parents would be able to use the VPK $$ to offset the portion of the day their kids spent doing pre-K activities with certified teachers

I think they had to find you a spot somewhere, but when two of my friends looked into it, the nearest schools they would be able to go to were 20-30 minute drive (out of season). This is all may have been a factor of Naples having a shortage of preschools in general, but just keep in mind that unless you qualify for the equivalent of Head Start type preschool based on income, the school where you may be able to send your child to Pre-K for free might not be what you would choose or in an inconvenient location. Hopefully this has changed and more pre-schools are participating, but just wanted to mention our experience in case you end up having to look for a Pre-K or preschool outside of the VPK program

jd11365
01-27-2008, 12:20 PM
A lot of this may have changed since I lived in FL, but I wanted to let you know about our experience when I lived down in Naples. The first year of VPK in FL would have been my daughter's 4 year old preschool year -- we ended up moving before we could have taken advantage of it, but at the time, the spots for VPK were hard to get b/c a lot of preschools (especially small church-based ones) didn't meet the requirements and were choosing not to be part of the program. A lot of schools (including the non-denominational one my DD attended at a small Lutheran church) didn't feel the expense of qualifying for the program was worth it. It seemed like most of the places that were going to be participating were preschools at public schools (which were essentially limited to lower income folks) or full-time daycares where the parents would be able to use the VPK $$ to offset the portion of the day their kids spent doing pre-K activities with certified teachers

I think they had to find you a spot somewhere, but when two of my friends looked into it, the nearest schools they would be able to go to were 20-30 minute drive (out of season). This is all may have been a factor of Naples having a shortage of preschools in general, but just keep in mind that unless you qualify for the equivalent of Head Start type preschool based on income, the school where you may be able to send your child to Pre-K for free might not be what you would choose or in an inconvenient location. Hopefully this has changed and more pre-schools are participating, but just wanted to mention our experience in case you end up having to look for a Pre-K or preschool outside of the VPK program

I don't think that's going to be a problem in Clermont. There are tons of preschools that aren't daycares, and many will qualify for VPK. My daughter is in one that we love. I only wish they went past prek-4. :( You are right though, when it first started, it was less available, but now, at least in Central Florida, unless it's a preschool that was 5-10k/year to begin with (and we don't have many of those), they take VPK.
I would, however, look into your public schools now to see where you are comfortable. Polk county schools have had a history of struggles over the past few years.