PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting out of the house and saving my sanity

niccig
01-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Getting out of the house in the morning has become a nightmare. DS will get dressed and eat breakfast and we're on time. He totally balks at brushing his teeth and going to the potty. He'll go out to the car without a fight, but refuses to get in his car seat - he wants to do it himself after he's sat in every single other seat and climbed into the cargo area. I end up raising my voice, and sometimes I've had to make him sit in his car seat while he holds on to the handle that's on the roof and goes as stiff as a board. I'm exhausted before we've even gone anywhere.

Of course when we're just going to the grocery store, he happily pees and then sits straight into his car seat without a peep. It's when we have to be somewhere - like preschool or an appointment.

I know I need to start everything earlier, so there's more time, but I'm also tired of cajoling him to get things done. I thought some other people might have suggestions. I was thinking of doing a chart ala the Supernanny. Any other thoughts.

Thanks. Nicci

hillview
01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Other then leave earlier, I try to come up with SOME reason why he should be excited. Things I have used:
- maybe we'll see a dog/cat/horse/cow/etc
- if we have time we can go to the gas station/go see the train/go to the supermarket/etc (all more or less near us or on the way)

I have special toys that can be played with when we go out for an appt or restaurant. He isn't allowed to have them (or even hold them) til we get into the car.

HTH
/hillary

thomma
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Sticker charts always work for my son. We've had to use them for carseat (leaving the chest strap in place/"it's too tight" battle) and bedtime issues. Works every time. We started resposibility charts with both ds and dd and those are working really well too.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

kristenk
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
For some reason, counting works for DD. A long time ago I told her that she needed to be in her car seat by the time I counted to 10 or I would help her get into her seat. Evidently she saw that as a challenge! LOL I think I've had to "help her" a couple of times over the course of the past 2 years, but it generally works really well. When I start counting, she races to get to her seat and tries to get there as quickly as possible. Then, I make a really big deal about how super fast she is and say something similar to, "Wow! I was only able to count to 4! You're fast!"

Now, actually getting OUT the door is our challenge. We were late for preschool twice last week b/c we didn't leave the house on time. And, yes, DD only attends preschool twice a week!

californiagirl
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Making it a race helps (can you get your shoes on before I do?) but avoid the word "beat" or your child will howl "No, mommy, don't beat me!" at inopportune moments. (Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.)

Counting is also good -- DD's world record at getting into her carseat is 14.

Moving debated items earlier in the process can also work (we get dressed and pee before breakfast, because if peeing comes before leaving it's stall city). Alas, one cannot strap the child into the carseat before breakfast, at least not in DH's car where he hates letting her have food.

anamika
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Making it a race helps (can you get your shoes on before I do?) but avoid the word "beat" or your child will howl "No, mommy, don't beat me!" at inopportune moments. (Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.)

:hysterical: :ROTFLMAO:

We also count. She has to do it before we get to 5 or we'll help her. It works well for my DH - not so much for me. DD (3 yo) is only just getting into the competitive mode so doing it faster than mommy/daddy is starting to work now. Of course, we will definitely avoid the word beat now!

nupe
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I tell DS he gets to choose from his music on the way to school if he is efficient in the morning, otherwise he gets to hear the news! It works better for items that are closer to getting into the car, like putting on coat/gloves/shoes without help.

smkinc
01-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Making it a race helps (can you get your shoes on before I do?) but avoid the word "beat" or your child will howl "No, mommy, don't beat me!" at inopportune moments. (Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.).

Wise words--we started the competitive thing when DS was about 3. Occasionally when he's poky I will 'win'--at one of these moments in our garage with the garage door open, I actually said "I'm sorry you didn't get buckled into the car sooner, you know when you're moving slow I will beat you." Then immediately thought--boy I hope the neighbors didn't hear that!

I really like the counting idea, then it's them competing with themselves--more of an accomplishment. I also do positive reinforcement when he gets things done without being reminded/cajoled. When he was younger it worked best when he 'heard' me telling someone else what a good job he had done and how I was so proud of him (usually grandma or his yellow kitty!).