PDA

View Full Version : Saving champagne?

JoyNChrist
01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
So a friend got me this great bottle of champagne for Christmas (she brought it home from a recent trip to France). I love champagne, but DH doesn't drink it. So I'm hesitant to open the bottle, because I don't want it to go bad before it gets used. We don't generally host dinner parties or anything like that (and anyway, our friends aren't really champagne drinkers), so I don't really have anyone to share it with. But I hate to see it just sitting in the cabinet.

Is there anything I can do to keep it fizzy for a few nights? I'd like to have a glass with dinner (just feels so fancy, ya know?), but I'm not gonna drink the whole bottle (although there are some nights I feel like it, lol).

egoldber
01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
They sell specialty champagne recorkers. We have this one and it works fine to keep it for a day or two.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details.asp?Ep=An/166+178//A/817&uid=75409A87%2D6802%2D447A%2DA633%2D58A5768C6878

amandabea
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
there are different types of caps that are supposed to help, but I've never used any of them. I don't know if this is an old wives tale, but I've done it -- put a sliver spoon in the top so the handle is hanging down into the bottle, gotta have a spoon with a "head" that is big enough to not fall in the opening. Anyway one New Year's Eve we didn't finish a bottle and we did that and then had mimosas the following morning and it seemed fine to me. I don't think you could go very long with this method. Maybe your DH would like a mimosa or some other Champagne cocktail -- Champagne and pomegranate juice is good (plus it has antioxidants!) -- even better with a sugar cube dropped in the bottom.
Enjoy!

kcampbell
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
We use these all of the time! You can get them at any "cooking" store like a Williams Sonoma or even Crate and Barrel might have them. They are great!

JoyNChrist
01-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe your DH would like a mimosa or some other Champagne cocktail -- Champagne and pomegranate juice is good (plus it has antioxidants!) -- even better with a sugar cube dropped in the bottom.

Actually, DH doesn't drink alcohol at all. He was raised in a strict Southern Baptist family, and even though most of the religion didn't stick, that part did. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone...I think I'll go by Williams Sonoma tomorrow and see what I can find.