PDA

View Full Version : kind of gross question...

gatorsmom
01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
My husband has given me an annoying case of athlete's foot. I didn't use anything while I was pregnant to get rid of it because A) I was afraid of the effects on the pregnancy and even more B) I couldn't reach my feet. But it hurts like he** and I can now reach my feet. My husband has been given a prescription strength antifungal cream that I'd like to use too, but it says on the medicine info insert that it's not known whether this stuff can be present in breast milk.

Would you use it? The OTC stuff is not really working. I haven't called my OB or the Ped to ask them because I know what they'll say- use the OTC stuff because it's not known if this can show up in the breast milk. No studies have been done on this stuff (no studies are ever done on pregnant or bfing women thank God). So, wwyd?

psophia17
01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd try home remedies first - the first one that comes to mind is using a cut clove of garlic and rubbing it all over the affected area. Garlic works for yeast infections, so I don't see why it wouldn't help athlete's foot. It's naturally antifungal and antimicrobial, and it's safe for pg and bf.

http://www.garlic.mistral.co.uk/

I did a quick google for home remedies, and the ones I'm finding all recommend the OTC creams, but they have some other tips that might help you out: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/7.cfm

o_mom
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
What is the medicine? You can look it up in Hale's book on Amazon or see if it is on the list of meds approved by AAP.

There is good info here: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html

jawilli4
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Here's a gross answer - at least to prevent athlete's foot in the future - pee on your feet in the shower! Urine has great antimicrobial properties and prevents AF according to my microbiology professor in college. (Supposedly surgeons of old on battlefields and without other means of sterilization would pee on their hands and tools to prepare them for surgery. Now that's gross but ingenious I guess.) So, not that this post has been especially helpful right now but it can't hurt in addition to all of the other great tips you'll get from this board.

Good luck,
Jan

californiagirl
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't be particularly worried. First, I'd look at what it said about using the drug on infants and children; if you can put it ON the baby, the baby is safe with a dose thousands if not millions of times larger than the dose it will get after you put it on your foot. Yeast and fungal infections are common in babies, and treated with most of the same drugs that are used for athlete's foot.

Even if that didn't prove to me that there was no risk at all, most antifungal creams like that don't get absorbed into the bloodstream at any significant rate; topical steroids have more of an effect, but are still considered safe for nursing as long as you do them short-term.

When they say they don't know if it's present in breast milk, often they mean "It seems so unlikely that we are not willing to invest money to prove it doesn't happen".

Drag0nflygirl
01-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't know what the best answer is - but I do know that you should do something quick! I was right out of school really, really poor when I got mine. I couldn't afford the good otc and went for the $2 Wal-Mart special. It got into my toe nail and my dermitologist says once that happens you never get rid of it. Plus now I have two really gross toes!
Nancy
DD Cara 10-25-05

niccig
01-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Here's a gross answer - at least to prevent athlete's foot in the future - pee on your feet in the shower! Urine has great antimicrobial properties and prevents AF according to my microbiology professor in college. (Supposedly surgeons of old on battlefields and without other means of sterilization would pee on their hands and tools to prepare them for surgery. Now that's gross but ingenious I guess.) So, not that this post has been especially helpful right now but it can't hurt in addition to all of the other great tips you'll get from this board.

Good luck,
Jan

Yep, gross, but according to my Dad who served in the military in Vietnam War, it was the only way to get rid athlete's foot.

jerigirl
01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
you can try tea tree oil on your feet. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_t.html
should be safe if you are BFing.

jeri

Fairy
01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd use the meds.

However, I have also been told that pee absolutely works. You can't get any cheaper or any more or an endless supply in just the right position for application . . .

wencit
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Depending on how many times a day you need to reapply the medication, you could always pump and dump, too.

StantonHyde
01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I have heard that Monistat is better for athlete's foot and jock itch than the stuff they sell for those purposes--so try it!

jerigirl
01-18-2008, 12:18 AM
The Monistat (miconazole nitrate 2%) cream (sold as "external cream" in the combo packs with the inserts) is the same as Micatin cream, which is marketed for athlete's foot. So if you have a tube of Monistat in the med cabinet you can use that. Or buy which ever is cheapest.

bubbaray
01-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd try Monistat or another antifungal that can be used on baby's diaper rash. I can't remember the name of the other one I've used -- Canseten maybe?