PDA

View Full Version : Study confirms clowns are creepy

Ceepa
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - Bad news for Coco and Blinko -- children don't like clowns and even older kids are scared of them.

The news that will no doubt have clowns shedding tears was revealed in a poll of youngsters by researchers from the University of Sheffield who were examining how to improve the decor of hospital children's wards.

The study, reported in the Nursing Standard magazine, found all the 250 patients aged between four and 16 they quizzed disliked the use of clowns, with even the older ones finding them scary.

Emmas Mom
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely a NON clown lover! Ever since Poltergeist came out. YUCK!!!

scoop22
01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
when i was little i thought i was the only one who hated clowns. as the years go on many kids/adults are afraid of clowns.. thanks for sharing this! i am glad i am not alone!

Lilysmom06
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I am another one who hates clowns - also due to the movie Poltergeist!!! I couldn't sleep after I saw that movie!!! No circus for DD, unless DH takes her.

Kathy

Corie
01-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Wasn't there a clown in an old Seinfeld episode?

Mr. Wiggles?

icunurse
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I didn't need a study to tell me that. Always hated them, confirmed by Poltergeist and Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

janeybwild
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
It was a disaster. My 2 1/2 year old still talks about how she doens't like clowns (this from 4 months ago). The kids ranged in age from 1-5. They asked the clown to leave the party :(

ellies mom
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
We hired a clown for the end of the year party at our old indoor play park. When I told the guy the age group of the kids, he recommended his "watch me become a clown" package for that very reason. He showed up as a "normal" guy and then the first half of his show was showing the kids the whole process of putting on his makeup and basically becoming a clown. Then he went on to do a few tricks and make balloon animals and face painting. It was a huge hit, even my "scared of Santa" DD had her face painted. But yeah, he said that he developed that show simply because small kids were rightfully scared of clowns and that show always went over well.

mik8
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Somehow I always remember John Wayne Gacy whenever I see a clown.

Fairy
01-16-2008, 06:53 PM
The study showed clowns are creepy cuz they are. To this day, they scare the crap out of me.

gatorsmom
01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
ooh, yeah Poltergeist ruined them for me too. But I kind of recovered from that till I saw the Stephen King movie "It." Anyone see that? Poltergeist was tame in comparison. yikes!

MamaC
01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Can't sleep, clowns will eat me... LOL
When I was a kid, there was a guy who had an ice cream truck and would dress up in full-clown outfit & makeup, every day in the hot summer, COMPLETLY ON HIS OWN (as in, no one else who drove that brand ice cream truck was ever dressed up). Needless to say, us kids were forbidden from buying ice cream from him...

maestramommy
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah. That would be me. Ever see Stephen King's It? That was enough for me!

Davids-Coco
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Is it just me or does this make you think... "wow, you can get money to fund research for anything?"

mik8
01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Is it just me or does this make you think... "wow, you can get money to fund research for anything?"

No, it's not just you. I've asked that questions many times before too.