PDA

View Full Version : What should I see in New Orleans?

daisy1234
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I may have a conference in New Orleans in Feb/Mar.....I may have 2 free days....what should I try to see? Any good restaurants that should be a must do? Thanks!!!! Oh...We will be without kiddos! and my first time there... :)

hannah
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
We were in New Orleans last October for a wedding (without kids). We had a little free time to explore. We stayed in the French Quarter. We wandered over to the Garden district - nice place just to wander around and look at architecture. We of course wandered around the French Quarter - lots of unique shops there. We went to the IMAX theater for a movie. For dinner we had a great time at Muriels (I think that's the name) - its in the French quater on the square by St Loius Cathedral. Great food and wine and desert. Have fun!

MaiseyDog
01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Definately go to Pat O's for hurricaines. The piano bar is usually a riot and I love having drinks in the courtyard. Also, eat beignets. I actually prefer the beignets at Cafe Beignet to Cafe Du Monde but Cafe Du Monde is such an institution you should at least eat there once.

mommy111
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Acme oyster house for seafood....yum!!!! Its in the French Quarter, at the intersection of Bourbon and Iberville streets, I think.

Tracey
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Uggg...wrote a long post and lost it. Here is the short version...

VERY casual eats:

Mother's on Poydrus

Johnny's ....in the Quarter, but I don't remember the street. These are famous spots, so you can ask anyone in any of the shops.

If you like pralines, the best ones are in the candy shop in the middle of the French Market. The French Market is all junk, but it is one of those places everyone walks to as a tourist.

Cafe DuMonde is a New Orleans landmark, so I guess you have to go.

Fine Dining (expensive but worth it if your budget allows--make reservations now)
Do brunch at Commander's Palace.

Do dinner at one of Emeril's restaurants. I like Nola's.

Things to do:
Take one of the horse drawn carriage tours off of Jackson Square.
If you decide to go to one of the plantations, Oak Alley is the best.
One of the best times we ever had in New Orleans was when we rented a Harley and just drove around everywhere. That was before kids. Have a great time!

elliput
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
If you can swing a short jaunt outside the city - the Jean Lafitte National Historic Park is beautiful bayou country. It is just south of the city and super easy to get to. The New Orleans Museum of Art and Audubon Park (zoo) are both worth the trip.

TonFirst
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm a native of that fine city, and guess what! The streetcar is back up and running again, all the way Uptown! So hop on the streetcar at the corner of Poydras St. and St. Charles Avenue (by the Shell building), pop $1.25 in the change-taker, and enjoy a beautiful ride through the Garden District and Uptown. You'll pass some spectacular homes, the Columns Hotel (EXCELLENT happy hour - no better in the city), Tulane and Loyola Universities, Audubon Park, you'll round the bend (in the aptly-named Riverbend neighborhood), and you can stop at the corner of St. Charles and Carrollton Avenue, head towards the river, and have the best chili omelette and onion rings you have ever had in your LIFE at the Camellia Grill.

Seriously - go beyond the Quarter and you will not regret it. And there's no better ride Uptown than the St. Charles Avenue streetcar.

JoyNChrist
01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm a Louisiana native and I've been to NOLA about a million times. Everyone's suggestions are great, but I have to say one of my favorite activities has always been the cemetary tours. They're kind of corny, kind of creepy, but there are some really beautiful graves there and it's a different, neat thing to do. We got one guide who was really knowledgable about voodoo lore, and that was fun and interesting.

Totally touristy, but I enjoyed it!

ETA - Just echoing the following - Pat O'Brian's for hurricanes, any of Emeril's restaurants, Cafe Du Monde (I'm not a huge fan of their beignets, but I love their cafe au lait, and it's landmark so you can't go to NO and not go there), lusting over houses in the Garden District, Oak Alley Plantation, St. Louis Cathedral. I just love to walk around in New Orleans and listen to the musicians and stuff...it's such a fun city.

daisy1234
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you ...thank you thank you.....DH nas me taking notes! I am so excited about all the ideas!!!! I think we will have a great time with great great food!