PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition question

JBaxter
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
How many grams of sugars should a small child / toddler be limited to per day? Im trying to find a good chart but cant locate one. I was having a ills of juice box discussion and I thougth I remembered that 1 juice box topped off the amount of sugars recommeded. If anyone can help me out I'd be thankful :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2008, 06:47 PM
This is my go-to infant and toddler nutrition chart:
http://www.earthsbest.com/toddler_nutrition/articles/how_much.php

ETA- sorry, I only glanced at the sweets' category and it actually isn't helpful for your q. But, since it is a handy chart otherwise I guess I'lll leave it up for other readers. :)
Beth

egoldber
01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Most recommendations say no more than 4 onces of juice per day, which is more than one juice box (typically). But again that doesn't really answer your question.

I don't think its a straightforward question though, because things like milk and yogurt have sugars as well which are "good" sugars. Your body needs sugar, just generally not the simple sugars like sucrose and HFCS.

vludmilla
01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know the maximum grams of sugars and it might be difficult to say for sure because the natural sugar in say, fruit, is treated differently than the the sugar in candy or a juice box. My ped says to avoid juice altogether but that if I feel I must give juice then it should be no more than 4 ounces a day. I think that is less than most juice boxes. On the other hand, she said I don't need to limit fruit. I wouldn't even ask about other sugar sources, like cereal or candy, she'd freak out. She is very nutrition conscious.

chlobo
01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
All the juice boxes I have ever seen are at least 4 oz. And that's for the very small ones.