PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Scenera install

PAfirsttimemom
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Hello. My DS is 22 months, and we have had a Cosco Scenera in our secondary car for quite some time. I wanted to check in here, however, because I question whether the seat is installed as securely as it could be. My husband just reinstalled it this evening, and he actually sat on the seat and pulled on the lap belt (center position in a '98 Honda Civic) to tighten it as much as possible. Still, there is some movement from side to side, and you can easily lift the seat up in the back, as it is rear facing and not tethered. Is this normal, for those of you who have used this seat? Is it safe if there is movement like this? If not, is there any way to get a tighter fit?

Also, we have a Britax Blvd in our primary car (a '99 Ford Taurus). It's currently FF, as we turned it around for a marathon car ride from PA to NC over the Christmas holiday. We have been reluctant to turn the seat back to RF because we seem to have a more secure installation FF. I mean it is rock solid--no movement whatsoever. RF we had to use a towel to get the belt to fit, and the seat didn't seem nearly as solid. So at this point do we stay FF since the install seems more solid? I guess the same question goes for the Scenera: If we can get a more solid install FF with a top tether, would that be preferable to a looser RF install?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Joolsplus2
01-17-2008, 10:31 AM
A 'tight installation' means less than an inch of movement at the belt path. Sounds simplistic, but that's it. The rest of the Scenera will be all over the place (I try to like mine, I wish I could just recommend something much better, but people always want to save money...I just don't love the Scenera now that I own it, but I know we all can't afford two Britaxes, so I still think it's the best non-Britax, lol). So will a Britax, unless you have it top tethered, that helps a lot. Even if the installation feels more secure when FF, the forces are still going to be in his neck in a crash. Even if it's a slightly wobbly install, then the forces will be spread evenly along his back and spine.
The study is officially out, rearfacing is 4 times safer than forward facing in a side impact, and slightly safer in a front impact, in children up to 2 (would be similar results for older kids, if any older kids were in the study). If you have a well installed seat with side impact protection, that is top tethered (Get top anchors for dad's car, they are $13 and easy to install, the dealership sells them... Ford will install them free at their dealership, just mention Program R7C promises you a free tether anchor) and in the center of the car, I certainly wouldn't say it's a massive danger...but RF is still preferable as long as possible. I wouldn't turn my own kid ff that young without a top tether, honestly.

:)

PAfirsttimemom
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Julie. It is unsettling how flimsy and wobbly the Scenera feels next to the Britax. If you can lift part of the seat up, it just seems as if it would go flying in a high-impact crash. Sounds like you recommend the wobbly RF position over the possibly tighter FF position (with tether). Is this new research you cite? I haven't been on the boards for a while, so I'd love to have links to the latest info on carseat safety. My husband is thinking our guy is big enough to be turned around, and I know technically he is, but I want to point out all the studies to him that show the benefits of RF.

Just to clarify on the tethering issue: The Scenera cannot be tethered RF, correct? That is the seat we have in the Honda Civic. When we do turn DS FF, I believe we will need to have tether anchors installed in this car. Do you happen to have the info on the part number and whether Honda will do this?

Our Ford Taurus wagon does have the anchors, thankfully, and we do have the Britax tethered in the FF position (as we did rear facing, as well). So we are pretty safe from what you say but could perhaps be even a bit safer if we remain RF a little longer.

Thanks again for your reply. You perform a great service by providing info to the parents on this board!

Diana

PAfirsttimemom
01-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hoping Julie will see this and answer the last post. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
You know, I think I read this, meant to answer, and either my computer crashed or my toddler needed me and I forgot!

Right, don't top tether the Scenera rearfacing. And even wobbly RF is better than rock solid FF. You're getting close to at least two for FF, you can do it :cheerleader1: (I love that smiley, lol).

I'm so glad you have top tethers in your main car, btw!

o_mom
01-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Not Julie, but here's the abstact of the research she cited: http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/13/6/398

PAfirsttimemom
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Jools and O_mom!

OKKiddo
03-09-2008, 03:20 AM
I just wanted to say that I bought the Cosco Scenera at Wal-Mart tonight (for RARE use in DH's Jeep Wrangler) and it actually DOES have a top tether on it now. It's a bare bones carseat but thank goodness they seem to have added a new safety feature, lol!

westgre
03-09-2008, 07:51 AM
As far as I know, the Scenera's always had the top tether, you just can't use it rear facing.

Joolsplus2
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Good noticing! Yes, they do have top tether straps, it's just not ok to use them rearfacing :yeahthat:

OKKiddo
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Good noticing! Yes, they do have top tether straps, it's just not ok to use them rearfacing :yeahthat:

Gotcha. Unfortunately we won't be able to use the Scenera rear-facing in hubby's Jeep Wrangler anyway--I wouldn't be able to fit in the front seat then. And I can't ride in the back because hubby gives me no leg room behind him. :( But, the good thing is that we RARELY use hubby's Jeep to go anywhere as a family. This will be the 3rd time. And the other 2 times were using the Graco Snugride (another tight fit too).