PDA

View Full Version : Pointing -- what age for this milestone??

bubbaray
01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
DD#2 had her 12m appt today. Most of it was spent discussing her recent anaphylaxis and epi pens, allergists, etc. But, the dr said she didn't see her point, that was a concern. I told her that my daycare provider said that DD#2 points (and talks, though she d/n really say intelligible words around DH and I). I then spoke with our DCP and she said she points, but not with her index finger, more with her hand (as in gesturing, but not pointing). DH says who cares. Of course, I'm sitting here stressing about it. My DCP says its nothing to worry about and she's a social child who seems to be fine.

So, any thoughts on this milestone???

egoldber
01-16-2008, 10:56 PM
My ped said that skill develops "around 11 months". But like anything else I'm sure there's a wide variation in normal.

wencit
01-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I had the same concern with DS. He didn't start pointing until 18 months. Our ped said it was fine. Now I practically can't get him to stop pointing!

icunurse
01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
My son didn't point until a later age. My ped was more concerned that he was doing something to get my attention or show attention to something rather than actually pointing with one finger.

bubbaray
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks ladies -- she's definitely gesturing to get attention, just not using the one finger point yet. I'm going to try my best not to stress about it.

LarsMal
01-17-2008, 12:15 AM
The ped asked me about this at DD's 1 yr appt. last week. DD points, but DS did not at 1. He just never was a big pointer, but he was able to communicate if he wanted something or was curious about something, so we didn't worry.

I wouldn't be too concerned. They all do things differently. I think as long as she's social and gesturing, you're fine. From what I gathered from the ped, they just want to make sure they can focus on something and get your attention to look at it or something along those lines.

brittone2
01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Right around a year. My DS didn't point until more like 13ish months and my DD just started right before she turned 13 months. One of the things to look for is "shared attention." If you point to something, does she look in that general direction? And the fact that she is gesturing is a good sign as well.

The other thing from a fine motor standpoint (isolating the index finger is a skill involved in pointing obviously) is to watch her and see how her pincer grasp is (can she use the very edges of her finger tip and thumb to grab small bits of food).

I think the important thing w/ any milestone is to look at the issues surrounding the development of the skill, not the skill in isolation as much. A 12 month old that isn't pointing but is gesturing is not IMO a red flag if she's on target w/ her other milestones.