PDA

View Full Version : "shower cap" style winter bundler for carseat - britax roundabout?

littlecindy
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
anyone know if there's a bundler that would work with the roundabout? or do they only work with infant bucket seats?

o_mom
01-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I haven't seen anything for a convertible seat. We just use blankets in the car once they move out of the infant seat. Works the same since you aren't moving the seat.

801kelle
01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Something to consider:

Here is info on using aftermarket products!

The rule of thumb as I understand it to be is NEVER USE ANY AFTER MARKET PRODUCTS ON A CAR SEAT... they can effect the safety of how the car seat will respond in a crash. Only use the products that come with your car seat because the seat has been crash tested with them.

A Note on Car Seat Covers
Many companies also offer thick car seat covers that act like a bunting for babies in the winter. Parents should avoid buying any car seat cover or infant bunting that threads through the harness straps of their child's car seat. Often the packaging of these covers states that the product meets all federal car seat safety guidelines. However, there are no federal guidelines governing after-market car seat accessories. These extra car seat covers and buntings could interfere with the function of the car seat harness, and many car seat manufacturers will void your car seat warranty if after-market accessories are used.

Article quote above came from:

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/a/carseatcoat.htm

GREAT ARTICLE ABOUT USING AFTER MARKET PRODUCTS WITH YOUR CAR SEAT:

http://cpsafety.com/articles/AftMarketMan.aspx

QUOTE FROM ABOVE ARTICLE:

Britax's statement: "The use of non-Britax Child Safety, Inc covers, inserts, toys, accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax. Their use could cause this restraint to fail Federal Safety Standards or perform worse in a crash. Their use automatically voids the Britax warranty." (This statement can be found under the Warranty section of all Britax Child Restraint manuals)

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE and QUOTE:

the Texas Department of Public Safety recommends that you 'keep your child in the clothes they will be wearing when they are indoors. Place the child in the infant seat or car seat, making sure the harness straps are snug over the shoulders and that they lie straight and flat down to the buckle. Buckle the child in and THEN put the coat or blanket OVER them - on TOP of the harness system. You can even turn the coat around and put his arms through the sleeves after he is buckled into his car seat. This will ensure your kids are kept snug in their seat, the harness system is able to do its job in the event of a crash, and that the kids stay warm.'

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also recommends that 'to keep your baby the safest, always remove bulky clothing or blankets before you place the child in the seat. Then, put the blanket or coat over the baby. You should never place anything thick underneath the baby, unless that item came with the car seat originally — which tells you it's been tested by the manufacturer.

ARTICLE QUOTES IS FROM:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/a/0107_wintercoat.htm

Joolsplus2
01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm sure we've discussed this before. The OP's have been looking for covers that are like 'shower caps' They are blankets with elastic that only go around the top of the seat. They are not dangerous, they are a great alternative to the pads that go in the seat.

I appreciate that you are helping other posters understand the possible dangers of products that go under the baby and interfere with the harness, but their titles are specifically asking for 'shower cap' style covers, so this warning is not necessary.

Thanks!

801kelle
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry Julie.. I guess I should have stated first that if you can't find one of the shower cap style covers to resort to the other kind that you put through the harness because those are not safe ones to use.... Sorry I will be more clear when giving my posts on such things.

801kelle
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry Julie.. I guess I should have stated first that if you can't find one of the shower cap style covers dont resort to the other kind that you put through the harness because those are not safe ones to use....and here is some info that is valuable. Sorry I will be more clear when giving my posts on such things.