PDA

View Full Version : How much tv when dc is sick?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Ds caught dd's cold and it's really hit him hard. So for the past day or so he's been gorging on tv. I mean 5+ hours a day. He just wants to cuddle or lay on his sofa and watch cartoons. When the motrin is in full swing he'll get down and play for a little bit but not long. So I'm wondering how other people handle this. Do you do the same or still try to limit tv when they're sick and if you still limit, what do you do for entertainment besides sleeping?

julieakc
01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
When I'm sick all I want to do is watch tv and sleep..alternating between the two and sometimes at the same time. I definitely let DS watch lots of TV when sick...sometimes I actually encourage it if he's sort of borderline and I want him to rest. Reading books is another thing that can easily be done laying down.

purpleeyes
01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
There is no tv limit in our house when we are sick. ;) I don't stress about it. We don't watch when we eat, read, or if he gets interested in a toy/game. He doesn't nap, so its basically the only way to get him to rest. Plus, I always think about how i feel when I am sick, crappy, you know? All I would want to do is lay on the couch and chill, so that's what we do. :)

Hope your little guy feels better!

bubbaray
01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
There is no tv limit in our house when we are sick. ;) I don't stress about it.

Ditto that. Hope he's better soon!

ett
01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Ditto that. Hope he's better soon!

Same here. Don't worry about it. It's only temporary and I'm sure when he's better, he'll want to do all the things he couldn't do when he was sick.

lisams
01-17-2008, 12:35 AM
No limit when sick. When all she wants to do is lay there, I figure it's what her body needs. I know when I'm sick I just like to zone out in front of the TV.

Sillygirl
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
:yeahthat: to all of the above, though of course what's playing is still the same shows we allow in small doses the rest of the time.

ThreeofUs
01-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Same here, except it's Clifford or Curious George DVDs.

In fact, if I *don't* allow DS to watch DVDs while sick, he runs himself sicker around the house.

kijip
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
A sick Toby gets full run of the DVD collection. We don't watch any TV, mainly because I am too cheap and too busy to pay for any sort of decent reception cable/dish service and I hate commercials. But a sick day might easily mean 3 or 4 DVDs in a day, combined with a lot of sleeping. He is not sick often and when he gets better, believe me he has better things to do than lay on the couch and want to watch that much everyday. :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
As much as he wants.

I hope he feels better soon!

Beth

Kungjo
01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
As much as she wants till she's better. All DD does when sick is sleep, watch tv, and eat.

californiagirl
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
As much as I can get her to watch. Well, we do DVDs, but it's the same thing really. When she's sick, she wants to cuddle with me All The Time, and if I can fob her off for a few wakeful hours with a DVD and not have to read to her, I'm all for that. (That sounds awful, but honestly, last time she was sick I read her like 15 books, and one of those was Pippi Longstocking! The WHOLE THING!)

I don't know what it would be like if she was sick for a long time, but 3 days of the all-DVD diet do nothing to her expectations.

bisous
01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm heartened to see that everyone pretty much does as I do. I just focus on getting DS well and making him as comfortable as possible. I have noticed that sometimes a break from the TV is actually nice so I will let him watch and then ask him if he'd like to read, color or eat and if he's up for it for a few minutes it helps break up his day and he doesn't seem quite as "plugged in". But really, if he is terribly sick I just don't sweat it at all. :)